TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

G-Code how is it done with TC18 Deluxe
Read 9809 times
* December 26, 2011, 04:43:58 PM
Hey All,
I am a super newb.  So I have been playing with this thing for a while and with help from some forum members I have been having some success.  I previously have been using emachineshop which is super easy to use but I am locked forced to use that company to make my designs.  With some help I learned how to export the design and changed the dimension back to normal but I am now trying to learn how to make G-code but just found out that I can't do it with just what I have purchased already.  I'm using TurboCad Deluxe 18.  Can I use what I have already and if so how do I do that, and if not what do I need to get it done and is it easy?  Also since I exported a 3D design into TC18 is it still 3D though it doesn't look like it to me.  How can I tell?  Sorry for all the newby questions but I don't have much time to play with the software since I am always working and not allowed to bring my laptop to work.

thanks for all the help guys and gals.

December 27, 2011, 12:06:27 AM
ric
to generate g code you need turbocad cam or another cam program
you can look for trial versions on the net
could you attach your 3D design file please?

Turbocad Deluxe 16

* December 27, 2011, 03:30:03 PM
How do I attach the design?  I don't see where I can do that?

* December 27, 2011, 05:31:16 PM
How do I attach the design?  I don't see where I can do that?

Click on > Additional Options... prompt and follow the prompts.

DonCW

2018 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

December 27, 2011, 05:42:32 PM
ric
after you hit Reply
to this post
look at bottom
on left side ' > Additional Options...'

happy holidays!

Turbocad Deluxe 16

* December 27, 2011, 06:07:15 PM
I had to change it to a JPG, I hope this doesn't change anything.  I added the measurements because I wanted to make sure that the measurements were correct first and if I can't get the G-code for it I wanted to send it to a machinest to make a prototype.  Hey by the way does anyone know of someone who would make a rapid prototype for cheap?  Even if it was made with a makerbot or something? 
thanks again for all your help.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:09:51 PM by ricracer16 »

* December 27, 2011, 11:09:52 PM
I had to change it to a JPG, I hope this doesn't change anything.  I added the measurements because I wanted to make sure that the measurements were correct first and if I can't get the G-code for it I wanted to send it to a machinist to make a prototype.  Hey by the way does anyone know of someone who would make a rapid prototype for cheap?  Even if it was made with a makerbot or something? 
thanks again for all your help.
It probably be to your best interest to let the machinist write his own G-code.If he has his own cam software.Basically all is need is a 2d drawing with the dimensions and as option 3d model in a ISO view. Instead of 3d print it be cheaper just have it made in a machine shop.Prototype usually a fortune an not as durable as a metal.3d print is ideal for presentations,and first articles designs.I found cheaper just have it machine.Then the file has to be formatted for the printer in some cases incompatibilities could prompt up.After looking over your sample image it will be a easy job to machine depending on the material. Just a thought :)

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

December 27, 2011, 11:16:27 PM
ric
nice drawing
look on net and call the place on phone

happy holidays!

Turbocad Deluxe 16

* December 28, 2011, 05:09:29 AM
Thanks guys will do.  Do you think that once the machinest does his own g-code he would give it to me or is that something that I would have to buy?  Is that something I have to be ready for?

* December 28, 2011, 06:08:35 AM
Thanks guys will do.  Do you think that once the machinist does his own g-code he would give it to me or is that something that I would have to buy?  Is that something I have to be ready for?
He could give it to you if desire,but not really necessary since its the cnc language. Most shops generate there own g-code from your drawing and g-code is loaded in the cnc.Unless you have your own cnc I wouldn't recommend buying it or it not something that is need ready for machine shops.If so I would choose another shop.

Other cam programs can very costly and if not used on regular base can be a waste of money.I have seen in some companies where the cad operators would make g-code program with cam software since there is work cad programs related . But found that some have little background in the shop and not enough knowledgeable in that field of expertise and prone for error.Basically all is need is drawing with all it's information and let the shop do the rest.If just doing one piece as another option find shop that does manual machining might be cheaper.In larger companies cnc work can be very costly.Consider a student that's taking a course in the trade at local tech school or university could be a work around to save some money.Just another approach
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:54:22 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

* December 28, 2011, 12:54:06 PM
So does the drawing have enough information in it for a machinest to do the work or write it on their own, am I missing anything?

* December 28, 2011, 04:33:03 PM
So does the drawing have enough information in it for a machinist to do the work or write it on their own, am I missing anything?
pretty much its there if something missing tell them to call for verification its not a uncommon practice.Machinist usually consult with engineers,tool designers cad operators, supervisors etc.if something needs clearing up.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 05:31:36 PM by wd »

* January 13, 2012, 09:15:43 AM
Well finally found a machine shop in my area and will be making my part.  I'll post photos once I have it back.

Thanks all for your help and info.