TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

backgrounds & lofts
Read 942 times
December 21, 2011, 09:46:20 AM
Two Questions:

I’m using TC’s Pro 18 Platinum and the following surfaced.

1.   When you’re using TurboCAD’s backgrounds with a floor-like plane which should receive a shadow for your added subject to render your scene more realistically, I’m thinking of a house or even a telescope sitting there casting its shadow on the ground.  Has anyone done that already? 

2.   If using a loft normally you’ll get s straight leap (transition) from one 2D shape to another 2D shape, but if you need a conformed path for the loft the option is given.  On several occasions this last feature doesn’t ever work for me.  Am I forgetting to do something do you suppose enabling this modification?

Thanks,

Bob

* December 21, 2011, 11:33:25 AM
1.   When you’re using TurboCAD’s backgrounds with a floor-like plane which should receive a shadow for your added subject to render your scene more realistically, I’m thinking of a house or even a telescope sitting there casting its shadow on the ground.  Has anyone done that already?

Yup. That's what the "Shadow catcher" Reflectance is for. Create an object (such as a large thin 3D Box) to receive the shadow and create a new Material for it, using "Shadow catcher" Reflectance. Click the green "question mark" icon in the Material Editor to learn how to use it.

2.   If using a loft normally you’ll get s straight leap (transition) from one 2D shape to another 2D shape, but if you need a conformed path for the loft the option is given.  On several occasions this last feature doesn’t ever work for me.  Am I forgetting to do something do you suppose enabling this modification?

If you use three or more profiles for the loft, the transition from one to the next will be a smooth curve, even without guide lines.

Lofting with "Guide lines" is tricky and unreliable. It works for me only if all profiles are essentially identical (all having the same number of vertices); if the guide lines are 3D Splines; and if each guide line touches the corresponding vertex on each successive profile -- and it still might not work.

Henry H

December 28, 2011, 02:46:37 PM

Daz...
V2017 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows7 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 24GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...