TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

View Depth
Read 1417 times
* December 16, 2011, 04:44:24 AM
I am currently using TC18 trial and have created some objects then given them a thickness to make then 3d but it seems cumbersome to move things around so that I can 3d subtract two objects.  Moving into other views (front, left) shows the entire model so it makes it hard to move an object to a particular spot.

Example: I have 5 post in a line with the top of each at a different elevation.  i needed to add a cut at the top of the post.  I drew a rectangle in plan view, then gave it a thickness, but this placed it at the bottom of the post, so I needed to move it up.

Going into the left view, it showed all the post making it very hard to see the top of the one I wanted, going into front view show other items that were in the way.

Is there a way to limit the view depth so you only see so much of the model?  OR
is there an easier way to do what I am after.

Thanks for any help

* December 17, 2011, 03:33:17 AM
I would recommend using the 3D tools to create 3D Objects and not use the Thickness option. You can snap the start point of a 3D Object anywhere you like in space or on another 3D Object, whereas a 2D Object will first be placed on the current Workplane. You can use the Auto Workplane by Face tool to help place the start point of 2D Objects on other workplanes.

When using 3D tools, it can be helpful to work in a Isometric or Dimetric view. If you snap to another 3D Object in a Plan or Side view, you're never sure where you're snapping to; the front or the back of the object.

Which edition of V18 are you trying out; Platinum, Basic or Deluxe?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 03:35:41 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* December 17, 2011, 05:30:00 AM
thanks for the help, I will give doing 3d in the way you suggested, it might be more similar to what I am use to if I do that.

I am trying out TC18 Deluxe.

* December 18, 2011, 05:15:46 AM
The 3D tools in Deluxe give you some extra options that aren't available when using a 2D object with Height; such as "Approximation lines" or "Slope angle". The Pro tools give you several more options, such a smooth flowing ACIS Solid objects versus the clunky, faceted TC Surface objects.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* December 18, 2011, 11:39:07 AM
The 3D tools in Deluxe give you some extra options that aren't available when using a 2D object with Height; such as "Approximation lines" or "Slope angle". The Pro tools give you several more options, such a smooth flowing ACIS Solid objects versus the clunky, faceted TC Surface objects.

In Deluxe, one advantage -- perhaps the only one -- of applying a 3D Thickness to a profile instead of extruding it is that such an object is not faceted.

Henry H