TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Furniture Production Drawings
Read 6058 times
November 30, 2011, 09:34:48 PM
Attached are shop floor drawings with its bill of materials.
I though i would show a sample of how i use TurboCad 17 to manufacture furniture.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:35:04 AM by Up »

* December 01, 2011, 12:02:19 PM
This is a nice bit of work.

These are the sort of things that make TC well worth the money. Renders are always nice look at, but producing a drawings that are a guide and aid in the manufacture process are priceless. Excellent job.

T

* December 01, 2011, 10:12:15 PM
Impressive... lot of work

Windows 7 64 bit, TC Pro Platinum 18, 19

December 02, 2011, 07:49:44 AM
thank you timB , thank you RuslanK

* December 02, 2011, 06:59:58 PM
These are great! I post mostly renders on the forum, but like you this is how I use TC on a daily basis. What is your work flow method to produce these drawings? Do you manualy explode and lay out the parts for the cut list view on your drawings, or is there a better automated way of doing this? I take apart the models I make and lay them all out flat for the cut list drawing but it takes alot of time. I would like to hear your approach.
Thanks,
Steve

December 02, 2011, 10:35:27 PM
Hello Steve, thank you for those comments its great to hear from someone in the same trades. I use TurboCad now for about 15 years.
The procedure when creating shop floor plans and cutting list I do the following
1.   A rough sketch with pencil and paper and gather up information.
a.   Size of cabinet.
b.   Types of materials I will use in construction.
c.   What finish does the customer require?
d.   Machining considerations.
e.   Then Order the materials required for manufacturing like hinges, handles, door catches , locks , laminates, paint colours , boards and timber if those are not already in stock.
2.   My drawing work is done in 3D model space. That is accurate for me. So I will create a model of my cabinet full size in model space.  I take care to use layers this is useful when examining my cabinet after assembling.
3.   If you look at my section views you will notice I cut grooves into the cupboard sides where the shelf meet the side. To create a groove I subtract solids from one another with the 3D Subtract.  That is my main joinery method. There are others Sometimes I will use dowels to assemble a cabinet or mechanical fasteners if I wont to make the cabinet “knock down”  
4.   After I have build my model then I use the Drafting pallet to place my plan drawing, elevations, sections and detailing. Drafting pallet does all that for you. Drafting pallet is the most wonderful thing. Time saving.
5.   Put in my dimensions and annotation in paper space. Notice I use lots of balloons. That is my connection to the cutting list. ( If I may add here it would be really great if the balloons could automatically identify each part without me having to put in a number )
6.   Those parts of the cabinet that will go for CNC milling I select individually then again using the drafting pallet create different views of each component in paper space. That is the information I will give to the CNC machine programmer. I covert to a DWG format and he can use that in his CAM programme for the milling machine.
7.   The cutting list. I use Excel. In model space I create a copy of my model. Then I select each part with the selection tool and that give me my size .  I put that information into Excel , size , material & quantities. After that I will delete that part in the model copy.  So I will go through the whole cabinet. Select the component , document then delete. That way I know I did not leave out any parts. )))) Most times anyway.
8.   Print the drawings and cutting list and send for manufacturing

Hope that is useful.

Regards John
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:54:12 PM by Up »

* December 03, 2011, 04:01:59 AM
Absolute perfect, great in detail, very clear, huge professional job.
I love to see this kind of work.

December 03, 2011, 10:58:26 AM
thank you Stefaan.

* December 04, 2011, 12:52:24 PM
Thanks for the explination. I also find the drafting pallet so very useful!

* December 09, 2011, 02:37:21 PM
John,

Thanks for sharing.  I like the procedures you have developed, especially the part about copying the model, documenting in your cutlist and then deleting.  I build cabinets, and one thing that gets frustrating is finishing a cutlist and knowing that I may have missed something, and not finding the missed parts until I get to the shop.  Even worse is when I find a part listed at the wrong size!  I am always looking for better methods for my shop drawings.

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2
Running on HP HDX laptop w/win7 Home Intel Duo Core, 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, 64Bit OS

December 09, 2011, 10:09:12 PM
Thank you Dan,
Great to hear from a fellow wood worker. Listed at the wrong size. yes that has happened to me quite a few times and modelling the cabinet in 3 dimensions does help to overcome that.
In TurboCad it would be nice to have the components that make up the cabinet in model space linked to a BOM that we could print. There does not need to be a huge amount of information in the BOM just the size LWT, material, part name, part number, quantities, and description column. That is on my wish list.

* December 10, 2011, 08:46:28 AM
John,

I could not agree more, in fact in this other post, http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,6949.0.html, that is exactly what is being discussed, and hopefully can get incorporated in the next release.

I am currently using v16 deluxe, however am looking to go to pro mostly for the drafting pallete, among other things.

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2
Running on HP HDX laptop w/win7 Home Intel Duo Core, 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, 64Bit OS

December 10, 2011, 09:04:37 AM
These are very nice drawings John. It's always interesting to see how others use TurboCAD.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

December 10, 2011, 09:28:58 AM
Hi Dan , thank you for that link. i am going to visit there.

Hello Brad, thank you for those kind words. much appreciated.

December 19, 2011, 08:22:28 AM
Hi No
Interesting drawings , where I work we make the other type of furniture ,( the seating kind ) its designed by someone else and I then have to alter it so the mill can cnc the components and I also make up a cutting List for them . I also draw up a 3D image for the framemaker’s
to work to , here’s the sort of thing we do "althow this is one of my own designs" as the company has a stringent copy law policy ,
the date on the drawing will explain the ider behind the frames cover .
 Arundel

Lenovo  Enhanced Experience 2.0
intel i5 2500
Windows 7pro
8g ram
Tc 2016 deluxe

* December 19, 2011, 09:48:12 AM
Hi No
Interesting drawings , where I work we make the other type of furniture ,( the seating kind ) its designed by someone else and I then have to alter it so the mill can cnc the components and I also make up a cutting List for them . I also draw up a 3D image for the framemaker’s
to work to , here’s the sort of thing we do "althow this is one of my own designs" as the company has a stringent copy law policy ,
 Arundel

Very nice drawing.

the ider behind the frames cover

Poppies? Very thoughtful.

Henry H

December 20, 2011, 06:11:25 AM
Hi No
 Arundel
That is some exceptional work there. I really like the cutaway views of the frame.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* December 20, 2011, 05:20:15 PM
Great job on the drawings and especially on the explaination of the work flow you use. I've always been racking my brain as to why IMSI has not included a parts database and parts manager so when a part is changed in the drawing, it's dimensions would change automatically in the cus list.  Maybe they never heard of ODBC or the like...

It would be so nice if you could simply created a part, click it's properties then assign it a number (or auto assign as you go). Then, generate a list of all parts extracting their dimensions into the list.

Once in a database, the parts could be listed in an internal cut list manager or exported to excel.

I thought earlier version of TC were moving in that direction, but it never happened...as far as I know.

Great job, and thanks for comfirming to me that TC can't manage a parts list on it's own.

Cheers!

December 20, 2011, 06:50:13 PM
Thank you shotglass7.
Yes that would be useful if TurbCad could generate a list of parts from the drawing model.
That sure would save time. The woodworking tool was a start but that needs polishing.

December 20, 2011, 06:58:28 PM
Thank you Arundal

Re  "I also draw up a 3D image for the framemaker’s"

A  3D image for the framemaker's helps a great deal when it comes to the assembling of the cabinet.
I always try and include that into my drawing.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:00:25 PM by Up »