TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

A question about hatches used with .pdf outputs
Read 976 times
November 12, 2011, 11:55:18 AM
For architectural drawings I usually print out to 24x36 pdf which are emailed to the printshop for paper copies printing.   It seems that when I use a hatch from a bitmap,  the weight of the lines in the hatch  are not as they finally appear  in the pdf - far too heavy, unuseable when a detail is a larger scale  and unpredictable for me.  The bitmap hatch looks Ok in model space and paper space, it is just when it is printed to the pdf that the problem occurs.  I am using the defaults that come in with the TCAD  architectural template for all styles and place the hatch on layer 0.  When I use vector hatches I do not have this problem - they print to pdf as they appear in model or paper space.  Also the bitmap hatches print to my little Canon printer here just fine as do the vector ones.  

What setting am I missing here to get predictable consistency when using both bitmap and vector hatches with a pdf output?

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:57:14 AM by lloydnb »

Version 20.2, BUILD 51.3, Pro Plat, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, GigabyteMB with AMD 6 core cpu - 3.4ghz, 8 gb ram, 1 gb Nvidia GeForce GTS 450.

* November 15, 2011, 11:18:03 AM
These bitmap hatches used to work as they should be only with Windows 98.

With Windows XP and up they are useless – became too thick when printing on PDF or hard copy.

The bitmap hatches would be an excellent tool for detailing 2D architectural / mechanical drawings – no need to worry about setting scale factor to hatches (saves about 70% of time) while printing.

Print style manager is very primitive in TurboCad; it does not support of changing scale factors for hatches or line styles.

In my drawings I’ve stopped using bitmap hatches; I use only vector ones with individual scales depending on print output scale. It slowed me down a lot, but this is the only solution I now.

November 16, 2011, 08:29:40 AM
Thank You, Yuriy Bal.   I very much appreciate your answer here. I found that Don Cheke has some tutorials on hatches but I havent had time to study them yet. Perhaps he has some useful info on how to keep them from blacking up.
Best to you.

Version 20.2, BUILD 51.3, Pro Plat, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, GigabyteMB with AMD 6 core cpu - 3.4ghz, 8 gb ram, 1 gb Nvidia GeForce GTS 450.