TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

AutoCAD dwg proxy object problem
Read 8175 times
* August 06, 2009, 07:07:57 AM
When I sent a copy of a drawing to a colleague in dwg format he could not open all of it and could not copy or paste parts. AutoCAD reports that proxy objects have been used that it can't cope with. It seems that bezier curves don't survive the translation to dwg intact and there is a problem with text as well. It's the first time I've hit this particular problem. On the same drawing the space units get messed up but that's not unusual.

Does anyone have any good ideas how to resolve this issue?

Andy N
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:33:18 AM by TC16user »

* August 06, 2009, 10:11:57 AM
Have you tried the other DWG formats available when saving? Click on the Setup button in the Save As dialog when saving to DWG. You have from AutoCAD 2008 down to R14 to choose from in TCV16. One of the others may work better when exchanging files.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* August 06, 2009, 11:52:47 AM
Well I've tried 2000, 2004-06, 007-08 and dxf with no luck. It seems making the bezier curves a single block may help, but the fonts are still messed up. And yes I have tried various other options in the dwg setup  menu.

What I really don't understand is what is different about this particular drawing. I was sent a dwg topographical survey of a site and added some additional information, circles, bezier curves and text related to a tree survey. None of it is particularly complex and I don't see why on this occasion there is a problem with proxy objects.

I've also just tried R14 with the same results. However I now have a bit more information.  AutoCAD reports that it is having problems with TurboCAD extended entities and TurboCAD extension data objects. What are these?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:33:01 AM by TC16user »

* August 06, 2009, 12:48:51 PM
I'm out of my depth when it comes to DWG, but I informed Mauritz of your problem. Hopefully he can help.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* August 07, 2009, 01:36:53 AM
After a bit more investigation it seems that there is something in some topographical surveys, but not all, that I am supplied with that produces this issue. The problem base plans initially open OK with AutoCAD 2005, but once opened with TC and saved then have proxy objects that AC2005 complains about. This is not a problem with all topo surveys and doesn't arise at  all with many drawings.   There does not appear (to me at any rate) to be any immediately obvious cause for this. Various drawings to which I have added a great deal of detail, e.g surveys of over 1000 trees using many paper spaces or complicated landscape schemes do not cause it. Some relatively simple drawings do. It doesn't seem to be related to using either ordinary or multi-line text or both, and the use of bezier curves does not always cause it. It doesn't seem to relate to the use of hatches either, some drawings with a lot of hatching open fine in AC2005; others with none or very little  cause the message about proxy objects.

Does anyone know if any of AutoCAD's object enablers would deal with this? AC05 reports that it needs ExtcadCustObjs, but the only single page that Google brings up when I search for this is a dxf file. Where can I get ExtcadCustObjs?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:34:40 AM by TC16user »

* August 08, 2009, 10:29:47 AM
From looking in the DXF that Google found, I believe it's already in your file. What it is, is anybody's guess. Some sort of table?

ExTcadCustObjs|Description: TurboCAD extension data object

Somebody at IMSI Support may be able to help, not sure where Mauritz is (probably Holiday/Vacation).

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* August 16, 2009, 01:10:12 AM
So is this one of those compatibility problems that can't be solved?

Given the hold that AutoCAD has on the market it seems to me that TurboCAD really must be able to exchange files properly in dwg format without this sort of problem. If it can't cope with what is the de facto industry standard it probably won't survive indefinitely.

I much prefer TC to AC and its clones so I hope this one can be resolved.