TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Microphone
Read 5535 times
October 27, 2011, 09:04:26 PM
Saw a beautiful retro-style microphone (for Windows) for sale on the interwebs, and thought it would make a nice subject to draw...

Rendered twice, first with Brad's Softbox, (for the soft lighting effects) and secondly, with TC's Raytrace Full setting (for the background - the kitchen bench in my home), then blended together in photoshop.

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations
TC version 20 Pro Platinum + Animation Lab

* October 28, 2011, 07:15:55 AM
Well detailed Gary reminds of old time broad casting on the radio ;D

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

October 28, 2011, 07:18:45 AM
Great job Garry. Looks like it was a fun project.

October 28, 2011, 08:13:27 AM
Very nice Garry. There's something about those old microphones that's very appealing to me. Good job with the cord too.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

October 28, 2011, 09:10:39 AM
Very nice composition. I have always liked the look of the old retro mics.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* October 28, 2011, 03:22:57 PM
Great work on the mic Garry.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

October 28, 2011, 04:17:08 PM
Thanks guys

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* October 30, 2011, 02:32:51 AM
Garry,
That turned out nice.
I'm interested in how you made the background. Is it an image or a rendered materiel?

T

T

October 30, 2011, 03:18:33 PM
I'm interested in how you made the background. Is it an image or a rendered materiel?

Hi Tim,

The table top is a photo of my kitchen bench, which I made into a TurboCAD background.

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* October 30, 2011, 04:29:00 PM
Hi Tim,

The table top is a photo of my kitchen bench, which I made into a TurboCAD background.

Gaz

Oh, it's clear as a bell to me now. If you don't mind telling. Why did you decide to photoshop it instead of doing it all in tc?
thanX... always looking for ideas.

T

October 31, 2011, 03:21:31 AM
If you don't mind telling. Why did you decide to photoshop it instead of doing it all in tc?

Tim,

I'm just starting to experiment with Brad's Softbox software, and while it gives me better / more realistic lighting, I haven't yet learnt how to use Softbox and keep my backgrounds - they all turn out black!  So until I learn how to keep my backgrounds in view WITH the soft lighting, I need to do 2 renders, with one nice lighting and one with a background, then PS them together.  (This is the cue for Brad to insert a small piece of wisdom on using Softbox!)

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* October 31, 2011, 08:51:58 AM

Tim,

I'm just starting to experiment with Brad's Softbox software, and while it gives me better / more realistic lighting, I haven't yet learnt how to use Softbox and keep my backgrounds - they all turn out black!  So until I learn how to keep my backgrounds in view WITH the soft lighting, I need to do 2 renders, with one nice lighting and one with a background, then PS them together.  (This is the cue for Brad to insert a small piece of wisdom on using Softbox!)

Gaz

I actually tried something similar with a pdf and had the same results. Applying an image of my pdf to a surface or extrusion worked as expected. Which actually makes sense, if you think about it. Using a 3d object you have all the capability that goes with them. An image is only 2d and limited in rendering option, very limited i think.

T

T

November 02, 2011, 07:43:16 PM
If you don't mind telling. Why did you decide to photoshop it instead of doing it all in tc?

Tim,

I'm just starting to experiment with Brad's Softbox software, and while it gives me better / more realistic lighting, I haven't yet learnt how to use Softbox and keep my backgrounds - they all turn out black!  So until I learn how to keep my backgrounds in view WITH the soft lighting, I need to do 2 renders, with one nice lighting and one with a background, then PS them together.  (This is the cue for Brad to insert a small piece of wisdom on using Softbox!)

Gaz

Sorry for the late reply Garry. You can make changes to the visible background in the Ray Cube's settings. The "Primary shader" and "Secondary shader" settings allow you to change and mix the background. The "Reflected shader" and "Refracted shader" settings let you choose what will be seen in reflective and refractive materials in your scene. This is a handy feature. You can place a scaled image in the background of your scene but not have it reflected or visible in objects within the scene for example.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 07:51:11 PM by Brad Easterday »

BradE [ dean3Design ]

November 03, 2011, 03:39:11 PM
Wow, that is a great feature...the software is so powerful...I have so much to learn!  I'll send you a private note to get some more details on exactly where those settings are found...thanks Brad.

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

November 03, 2011, 04:09:35 PM
Wow, that is a great feature...the software is so powerful...I have so much to learn!  I'll send you a private note to get some more details on exactly where those settings are found...thanks Brad.

Gaz

Those settings are all a part of TurboCAD. Some of the more basic settings such as Intensity, Angle, and Color can be adjusted within Softbox before exporting the cubical map. You can do a lot more once you're working with the cubical map in TurboCAD.

BradE [ dean3Design ]

* November 07, 2011, 10:02:13 AM
Cool stuff Gary!!

November 07, 2011, 01:52:22 PM
Nice render Gaz....you seem to be something of a muso!!

Mark

Mark Thomas
TCv18 Pro Platinum
www.kerfab.com

November 07, 2011, 01:54:56 PM
Nice render Gaz....you seem to be something of a muso!!

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum!  Well done on picking up on the muso bit...I play bass in a band, on occasions if it's needed I'll play rhythm guitar poorly!

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

November 07, 2011, 02:07:47 PM
Hi Gaz,

Seems we have more than TC in common...I also play lead guitar and bass when needed!!

Mark

Mark Thomas
TCv18 Pro Platinum
www.kerfab.com

November 07, 2011, 03:56:44 PM
Seems we have more than TC in common...I also play lead guitar and bass when needed!!

Hey Mark!

Just looked up your bio and noticed you're also an Aussie!  And only a few hours away...Kerang eh?  Surrounded by lakes...I'm in Adelaide...but don't hold that against me!   :D

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

November 07, 2011, 07:10:27 PM
Haha Gaz,

I Think i am on the back foot here ;D Nothing wrong with Adelaide and the people there from what ive experienced!!!

Mark

Mark Thomas
TCv18 Pro Platinum
www.kerfab.com

* November 22, 2011, 08:59:28 AM
Garry,

Did you solve the background image problem? I'm trying to use an image in the back ground of my dividing head drawing and it covers up the white paper under the head. The paper is a solid with an image wrapped onto it.

Any hints as to what you did would be appreciated.

T

November 22, 2011, 01:03:59 PM
No hints from me yet Tim...I'm just as lost as you are at the moment, and no settings changes have successfully brought out the background images for me.  The guy to ask is Brad Easterday, he developed the Softbox lighting software...if YOU get any insights before I do, please share them with ME!

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* November 22, 2011, 01:39:15 PM
thanX Garry,

I am experimenting & will let you know if I make any progress. I'm not using Brad's SoftBox, but probable a similar environment using a pano image.

Well, back at it I guess  :-\

T

* November 22, 2011, 02:52:56 PM
I found the answer!

I was posting my solution when my login time-out. Post lost cuz i didn't do the write thing  ::)

I'll be back a little later and try again.

T

* November 22, 2011, 04:38:59 PM
Garry,

In my Vdh drawing I used a thin solid with an image wrapped unto it. For reflectance I specified 'Shadow Catcher,' but every time I tried to make the back ground dark it obscured the wrapped image. The only way I could get a shadow catcher to work is by having a light color in a 'Graduated' background to illuminate it. To get the background black, I put another object under the shadow catcher and gave it a dark material or image. That worked pretty good, but the render time became 3x as long.

Today I tried changing the reflectance from Shadow Catcher to Environment. An image will now show with out making the sheet of paper (in my drawing) so dark you can't see it. You still have some control over shadows, but not as much as a shadow catcher. There are some other reflectance shaders that may work.

Hope I helped.

T

November 22, 2011, 04:41:33 PM
Thanx Tim, I'll give some of your suggestions a go and see how they work for me.

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* November 22, 2011, 04:47:54 PM
Should also note that using Environment here gives reflections of it on other objects, where as shadow catcher does not, i think anyhow. Let me how you make out, K?

T