TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

FurnitureMaker 10
Read 4165 times
* October 26, 2011, 09:20:47 AM
OK I got the new version -- Furniture Maker 10. It might be worth the "deal" price.

Many functions work much better, but,  the language in the Videos is "strange" Czinglish -- even if read by a native "American" (as opposed to English) speaker... Some of the videos are in proper Czinglish -- none are in "English".

You have to run the videos several times to fully understand the importance of far too many steps.

But yes I built some custom cabinets and am currently working on a router table design.... I have had to re-do the top several times due to misunderstanding the steps required to get the "optimization" and material assignment steps correct... The last time will be because I extruded a wrong inner diameter on the inset for the router plate -- my fault -- not theirs...

I figured out how to add materials and run the optimization and assign "patterns"/"materials to the components...

So I can get 80% of what I need.

What is not there is an intelligent routine to build labels. Now, I work in metric, but the only easily available labels that are suitable are on 8 1/2" X 11" paper... not the "easily available" label forms template they supply -- available on A4. One of the disadvantages of living in Canada I guess.

For the specifications and so on they can download the program and hunt out the specifications here...
http://www.avery.ca/avery/en_ca/

I will describe how to find the specifications later when I remind myself -- but I did find them...
By specifications I mean top,bottom, right and left margins, horizontal distance between labels and actual label size...

Cutlist was able to create a Label Routine -- surely it is not beyond these programmers -- who clearly can do many very clever things... Maybe the should use one of the third party report writers -- I can recommend some...

That has to be fixed or people who use System 32 in Canada and the US and who need labels will be disappointed and likely never use the package....

Why do you need labels? Well, break down 20-30 sheets of MDF/Melamine or Plywood -- with lots of different sized parts and you will find your self constantly using a measuring tape to find the parts.

If you break down the goods in smaller batches you use a lot more material -- which can kill you on the cost side.

Then there is the manual...

For example...
They use the word "assortment" to mean raw materials description list and inventory.
A counter-top is a desktop.
A Socle (correct word actually for a special purpose plinth/pedestal) is the counter unit "kick plate".

Test: What is a frieze -- quick now? Time counts...

Probably the "raw materials Templates" should be separated -- rather than having that huge flat file.

So the terminology is a killer without careful use of a dictionary.

Now my first language -- long forgotten -- was Ukrainian/Russian and most of my relatives spoke broken English -- so I am used to the mangling of the language. (I read several Latin languages for my work and speak two languages besides English) -- so the point is I am used to Language mangling -- I do it myself.

Now I have worked with a Czech firm to translate a manual used for database design -- which is highly technical and calls for precise wording and translations. In some parts they even had misunderstanding of how their own product worked (it worked correctly) so it made for "lively discussions".

Point being I am used to and unafraid of this process.

However, the manual and videos are probably among the worst I have seen.

The training materials and the product desperately need work and some serious cooperation with the developers cleaning up their product language issues. It also needs methodology clarification -- like don't apply materials till you take the first step within the Furniture Maker 10  Work Flow...The Generate Step.

It also needs clarification of how important it is to assign each piece to the correct layers...

It likely needs a "table Top" layer (as opposed to desktop) layer -- since router table tops and coffee table tops are likely different than counter tops  (their desk top) -- though I have not explored this issue.

Surprisingly I would still recommend it -- it iff you have the patience to cope.

Note the "iff" -- that's mathematician talk for "if and ONLY if"...

A product that can take you from the concept through the production documents is a worthwhile endeavor. A user base here could push these issues through.

I will add more later.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:09:05 AM by WillR »

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX

* October 26, 2011, 09:59:47 AM
Just a bit more on the labels...

What is not there is an intelligent routine to build labels. Now, I work in metric (System 32), but the only easily available labels that are suitable are on 8 1/2" X 11" paper... not the "easily available" label forms template they supply -- available on A4. One of the disadvantages of living in Canada I guess.

For the specifications and so on they can download the program and hunt out the specifications here...
http://www.avery.ca/avery/en_ca/

If you download and install the Avery Label Generator -- then choose the "Design From Scratch" option. It allows you access to all their label formats.. (Also available from File -> New -> Design From Scratch.

Then Highlight the "5162, 5163 or 5164" labels -- or the 8162, 8163 or 8164 -- which are the same templates measurement wise)

These would all be good choices for the North American (USA Canada and Mexican) Markets.

Spinar does NOT tell you which template to use for their labels -- so I have no idea which Avery A4 Label template to special order if I could order it here... I can get A4 paper -- and maybe others -- if I order it -- although the larger Office Depot /Staples stores stock it here.

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX

* October 26, 2011, 10:11:07 AM
Oh yeah -- the Frieze -- I forgot...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frieze

In architecture the frieze (play /ˈfriːz/) is the wide central section part of an entablature and may be plain in the Ionic or Doric order, or decorated with bas-reliefs. Even when neither columns nor pilasters are expressed, on an astylar wall it lies upon the architrave ('main beam') and is capped by the moldings of the cornice. A frieze can be found on many Greek and Roman buildings, the Parthenon Frieze being the most famous, and perhaps the most elaborate.

Learn something every day...

WillR

October 26, 2011, 10:35:25 AM
Thank you for the in depth review Will. I appreciate it very much and I am sure others will too.

* October 26, 2011, 04:01:12 PM
Thank you for the in depth review Will. I appreciate it very much and I am sure others will too.

Don:

Thanks -- that was not "in-depth". I hope to add more later.

This thing has to be a) fixed and b) provided as an upgrade for us poor suckers who bought it. >:(

Hopefully other people can add comments.

I did not even get into the issue that the package has all "European sizes" in the inventory -- nothing available in NA...

We (Canada USA Mexico) tend to have 4X8' and 5X9' sheets of MDF and Plywood available for small shops... They have no examples... Though I know from working with board plants that you can choose other sizes... Just order by the railroad box-car... or maybe a trailer load.

The way that they choose the material to put against the build seems to be a little screwy as well -- it is easy to fix if you don't use many materials... -- once you spot the non-obvious method of choosing the correct material from the "assortment" -- but they will tell you pick method is "intuitively obvious" -- I am sure.

I am also trying to figure out how to handle other things...

Like inserting track in the table
Like showing where I want the system 32 holes drilled -- since I don't have automated high speed equipment I want to mark the placements...
Dowel Locations...

Again -- if you have the automated System 32 equipment and you size the boards correctly, you just pop them in the machines and out they come -- pattern drilled. Small shops don't have this...

Nor do we have automated Blume Hinge installers -- I wish...

All that said -- a lot of the package is very well thought out. It's finding out how to use it that's the problem...

And -- Oh Yes -- dealing with Print Menus that are in Czech...

At least it's not Magyar...

WillR

November 26, 2011, 09:09:02 AM
Hi Guys , does anyone know where I can find the "deal" price that WillR refers to ..

* November 26, 2011, 10:07:58 PM
I believe that may have been in a mailing to users back in September, TurboCAD® Pro 18 Woodworking Bundle, and that "deal" ended on 9/30/2011. Those kind of deals pop up every once in a while.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

November 30, 2011, 08:24:17 PM
thank you John R