TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Saving TCW file containing XREFs as SAT
Read 2357 times
* August 04, 2009, 07:12:14 PM
In my prof 12 version, I could save a TCW drawing containing XREFs as a SAT file in order to obtain the actual objects in the drawing (instead of just the references to them).
In my prof 15.2 version, when i try to do this I get following error message: "No solid objects found'

Vista Business SP 2
Turbocad Prof V15.2
Turbocad CAM V3.5

* August 04, 2009, 09:14:46 PM
I get the same thing in V15.2.

I do notice that after I've selected the 3D XRef, the selection handles and Inspector Bar fields are for a 2D object. I think they made a change somewhere. I get the same thing in V16; it's 2D and it won't save to SAT.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* August 05, 2009, 06:25:42 PM
I don't have the 2D problem - my XREF'd objects all show the 3D handles.

I'm very disappointed with this. Now there doesn't seem to be a way of combining TCW drawings that contain XREFs into a General Assembly drawing. XREF'ing drawings that already contain XREFs also doesn't work.

In other words  there's no support for larger projects that contain many parts.

Speaking as a SW developer myself, a better approach for upgrades seems to me to fix what doesn't work instead of adding less usefull features - thereby causing the inevitable accumulation of bugs.

Since many of the drawings I did now in Version 15 don't open in version 12 - upgrading to Turbocad 15 has proved a big step backwards for the company I work in.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 05:49:57 PM by dbertels »

Vista Business SP 2
Turbocad Prof V15.2
Turbocad CAM V3.5

* August 05, 2009, 09:33:52 PM
I don't have the 2D problem - my XREF'd objects all show the 3D handles.
Since many of the drawings I did now in Version 15 don't open in version 12 - upgrading to Turbocad 15 has proved a big step backwards for the company I work in.

More than likely you use the "Toggle 2D/3D" which overrides and hides what an object really is. If you go to "Selector Properties" - General Page and set it to the default "2D/3D Depending" setting, it should show 2D.

You should let Dave Taylor know of your dissatisfaction: dtaylor@imsidesign.com.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* August 06, 2009, 02:56:56 PM
Dirk I'll forward this topic to development and let you know what they say.

I am assuming it is vital is it to you to maintain the referencing?
TurboCAD does have some ways of inserting or merging files in case you don't realize this.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:12:09 PM by Dave Taylor »

* August 06, 2009, 07:36:48 PM
Thanks for getting back to me. Since I have used XREF a lot I would like to give you more detailed feedback on the situation for your development department.

We have a complex instrument (a retinal camera) which requires many parts. At the moment we have 4 major assemblies. Each of these assemblies are just TCW files that contain XREFs to individual part drawings.

Problem arises when we want to combine these assemblies into a general assembly.
We can't just create a file that XREFs to these assemblies (which contain XREFs themselves). This is the situation that needs attention.

In the Pro 12 version I could work around this problem by saving each TCW assembly files in SAT format, which copied the actual objects (instead of referencing to them).
Then I could create a General Assembly file that XREFs to these SAT files.

In the Pro 15.2 version, this is not possible.

So I suggest the following:
1 - Capability of saving Files containing XREFs as stand-alone files with actual copies of the object (as in
     Pro v12)
2 - Capability to XREF drawings that themselves contain XREFs.

Hope to hear from you on these suggestions ..

Vista Business SP 2
Turbocad Prof V15.2
Turbocad CAM V3.5

* August 06, 2009, 07:53:14 PM
2 - Capability to XREF drawings that themselves contain XREFs.

This is possible in v16.1, when all the drawings are .tcw format; don't know about earlier versions and don't know about other drawing formats. As a quick test, I created a series of nested drawings, the topmost of which contains an XRef which itself contains an XRef which in turn contains an XRef.

Henry H

* August 07, 2009, 12:19:40 AM
Sorry, yes XREFing drawings that contain XREFs is possible as long as the paths referring the drawings are absolute. The problem lies when the drawings are at different levels and the paths are relative. So things aren't as bad as I first thought. Still would be nice to be able to have the 1st ability though ...

Vista Business SP 2
Turbocad Prof V15.2
Turbocad CAM V3.5