TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Lock TC in 2D?
Read 4423 times
* October 12, 2011, 09:05:51 PM
TurboCad 16.2 Pro: Is there a way to lock a drawing file into 2D mode?

When working in 2D, and selecting a line or object I frequently get this message: "Selecting the object in the 2D mode changes the drawing's WorkPlane.
Do you want to continue?".

And if I try to use the connect line tool I often a message saying that I cannot connect because the lines are on separate work planes. By using CNTRL A > Place on Work Plane, I can connect them. This is a frequent occurance and a hassal.

Am I missing something here?

johnm63

* October 12, 2011, 10:14:47 PM
Hi,

I don't know if this is the absolute correct way to solve your issue, but wht I do with my Drawings is

EDIT > Select all
then I go to
FORMAT > PLACE ON WORKPLANE,

the shortcuts are there for you to see.

I hope this helps, if there is more expert advice on this issue, pleaselet us know.

* October 13, 2011, 07:02:27 AM
Thanks,
But that is what I have been doing too. It seems that there should be a way to lock it in. As far as I know, I don't do any operations in 3D to make part of the drawing off of the work plane.
johnm63

* October 13, 2011, 07:26:35 AM
Thanks,
But that is what I have been doing too. It seems that there should be a way to lock it in. As far as I know, I don't do any operations in 3D to make part of the drawing off of the work plane.
johnm63

Right click on the open drawing to open the local menu 'Toggle 2D/3D' should fix the problem for you.
Edit.... In 2D mode only X & Y fields are available on the Inspector Bar.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:40:26 AM by Don W, »

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* October 13, 2011, 10:04:57 AM
Don,

Thank you. I have tried that repeatedly over the past few weeks without any change. I have been working only in 2D.

If there is no command to lock it in 2D, could be that my program is corrupt?

Is ti possible to re-install the program without the 3D capabilities?

John

* October 13, 2011, 03:14:46 PM
Is to possible to re-install the program without the 3D capabilities?John
No need  just some fine tuning.

(1) Go to Tool+UI Themes+Ver.11+Close,.Next Options+ Program Set Up+Tool Bar+Menus+Show Configurations Buttons,Than buttons will appear up at top in Blue now can choose any mode you prefer.
or
(2) The other way is to make a Customize configuration with the prefer 2D tools and save the Customization and load via the Customize+Options .
or
(3) Return back to UI Theme+Ver.16 choice,Go back to Customize+Options+ Workspace+Load From+In drop menu should appears 2D selection.

Now you can work exclusively in 2D

Once you have made the change it be good idea to back up the Configuration Folder in a Zip folder form.Which is located in My Documents, the Turbocad folder of your version Than all have do is a copy and paste back in the in place and your back in the game
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:20:23 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* October 13, 2011, 04:11:43 PM
re: Is it possible to re-install the program without the 3D capabilities?

In V16, yes.

During the Install, there's a page that gives you 4 (?) choices; Minimal, Typical, Full or Custom. The Minimal install says "Only simple 2D tools will be installed.". Whether this will solve you workplane problem, probably not. I remember someone trying this Minimal setup and wasn't happy.

I find it best to stay away from that "Toggle" feature and stick with the default "2D/3D Depending…" (Selector Properties, General page). Let the program figure what is 2D and 3D, you shouldn't have to override the Selection tool, except when necessary.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* October 13, 2011, 10:56:22 PM
Thank you,
That is is simple. I'll work with it a bit.
johnm63

* March 12, 2018, 06:28:15 AM
The instructions to "Right click, etc" make no sense to me. I have been drawing with TurboCad for 20 years in 2D only./ All my drawing are 2D./ Please help me get to 2D and stay in 2D

rjt4054

March 12, 2018, 07:14:25 AM
Buy TurboCad Designer. It's only 2D and it's cheap to boot.

* March 12, 2018, 10:05:21 AM
The instructions to "Right click, etc" make no sense to me. I have been drawing with TurboCad for 20 years in 2D only./ All my drawing are 2D./ Please help me get to 2D and stay in 2D

Make sure you're starting with a template  that is set working on "world plane". and in " 2D selector mode". Only one axis rotation bar should be visible when selecting an object.
Also , you can set the " Wheel assignment" as "Hold" to use the " Dynamic Pan" so you can't mistakenly rotate the view.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* March 12, 2018, 06:22:49 PM

First, upload/attach your Drawing file so that someone(s) can fix it and get it back to you all copasetic.  You inadvertently messed things up-- we know what you did, but it's cumbersome and difficult to explain to comprehension in written word.

Optimally, along with the revised, fixed, Drawing file, someone(s) will also explain to you how to avoid doing what you did moving forward (as John R did in Reply #7).

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)