TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Sharing files between AutoCad and TC
Read 1113 times
* October 09, 2011, 07:29:10 AM
I've run into a situation where another model builder and I are working on the same project but in different software.

What is the best way to share files, BOTH WAYS, with minimal loss in detail and data.

Thank you

Ed

Rel 20 Pro Platinum

* October 09, 2011, 10:02:26 AM
Ed
Its probably be best to say since when Tc warning dialog pops up and states. "You selected a file format that may not support all Tc features" there will be no guarantees that something may be amiss.So expect any thing.But in most cases some prefer with going with dwg,dxf.formatted in 2000 for compatibility purposes.Then there always AC viewer available for verification of your work so you can get idea what the receiver will see.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* October 10, 2011, 07:23:58 AM
WD

Thanks for the tip.

Would that be the best way to share drawings. If we cooperate on this, the drawings will be going back and forth.

Ed

Rel 20 Pro Platinum

* October 10, 2011, 08:30:35 AM
I've run into a situation where another model builder and I are working on the same project but in different software.

What is the best way to share files, BOTH WAYS, with minimal loss in detail and data.

Thank you

Ed

can you be more specific? what is the "other" software? What do the shared drawings contain,2d,3d, architectural elements etc? In general I have found working/sharing with dwg,dxf Autocad files that saved as dxf format in turbocad platinum 18 to be most reliable. Sometimes when saved as dwg format from turbocad then opened in autocad there is a problem dispalying proxy information.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* October 10, 2011, 08:31:20 AM
ED

The best thing I can say is try it and proof read your work in AC free viewer.Dwg,dxf is industry standard.I found through experience that there is no format that is best unless both users are using the same software.Trouble begins when there are two different  brand of cad application in use even though it opens in each other software there is still some differences.Ideally if your receiver had a copy of Tc cad than it would be more realistically that your files would be unchanged.Why I choose the 2000 format is you can always go up in versions.

Without knowing what your receiver is using it should open without any dialogs popup sending message of sorts of incompatibility.For i.e. I'm trying to open a Tc file v.18.1 in Tc 11.2 version. it won't read it .Where as older version Tc file will open in newer version of Tc.So with the 2000 format it allows to go up in versions. It wouldn't hurt if both partys work in the same format to keep consistency with file exchange.Make few practice runs with a different file see out it performs offer some feed back there may be another approach if complications set in.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* October 10, 2011, 01:47:08 PM
I'm sorry - the other software is Autocad, but I'm not sure what release.

Ed

Rel 20 Pro Platinum