TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

V16 dimension properties
Read 3893 times
* August 03, 2009, 06:56:30 PM
Is it just me, or are others having the same old problems (or worse) with dimension properties reverting back to "default" settings after closing a drawing?

It seems to be random.  Sometimes I can close a drawing three or four times with no problem.  Sometimes after one close, the dimension properties revert back to default.  In TCW15, only the "layer", "font", and "pen" properties would revert back to the default.  Now, in TCW16, every property reverts back.  It's my biggest complaint about TCW.

Am I missing something, or am I just not sober enough to comprehend basic instructions?

Douglas Warner
President & Engineer
Altoona Hoist & Crane
V16.1 ProMech
TCW user since v9

* August 03, 2009, 07:42:54 PM
Do you mean that existing dimensions are not saved correctly? Or that your settings are not saved correctly, with the result that new dimensions added to a reopened drawing don't adhere to your settings?

Henry H

* August 04, 2009, 05:00:12 AM
My apologies.  I should have been more clear in my description. 

The dimensions are saved correctly, it is the settings (font, layer, etc.) that keeps changing back to the TCW default

Douglas Warner
President & Engineer
Altoona Hoist & Crane
V16.1 ProMech
TCW user since v9

* August 04, 2009, 09:45:35 AM
The dimensions are saved correctly, it is the settings (font, layer, etc.) that keeps changing back to the TCW default

I think it's the new Dimension Styles (Style Manager) that were incorporated into V16. You will need to change settings in the "Standard" style or create a new one to use. There is also another hoop to jump through. The Text in a Dimension Style comes from a Text Style. More little odds-n-ends to keep you on your toes (or drive you around the bend).

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

August 11, 2009, 09:24:50 AM
Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to all our questions.

I hope this is simple one...

What does checking the box labeled "Last window layout" pertain to - or is it just a cruel hoax?

I tried to once and for all get my dimensions under control with your suggestion on the Styles Manager and must have missed something as it did not stick.

I even clicked an Icon that said keep changes at the top of the dialog.  To no avail.
It promptly disappeared (the Icon) along with my changes on a re-entry into a new drawing session.

Needless to say my drawings and dimensions have a unique flavor each time and each new day...

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the look.

Gary

* August 11, 2009, 09:52:22 AM
What does checking the box labeled "Last window layout" pertain to - or is it just a cruel hoax?

I tried to once and for all get my dimensions under control with your suggestion on the Styles Manager and must have missed something as it did not stick.
Any suggestions?

Gary

I believe "Last window layout" has to be used with "Last working file", it doesn't work alone.

As for Dimensions, I'm never sure what to do there. All I can think to do is create a new Style in Dimension Styles and using that instead of Standard in your dimensions.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* August 12, 2009, 01:52:42 PM
I'm having the same problem with new dimension properties and with new line properties.  They seem to stick fine in the file I created them in, but when I open a new file. they are nowhere to be seen.  The only way I can move them to a new file is to extract 'graphic styles' from the original file.  Loading from my saved workspace does not seem to work.

August 12, 2009, 02:03:28 PM
Sqern,

Try creating your own custom template file and starting all of your drawings from that file.  That way you can set up your own styles and custom stuff.  You may still have some grief when opening an old file that wasn't created from the template, but eventually it all gets sorted out.  This is the way we work and seems to aleviate most of the problems.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle