TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Old Version Compatibility?
Read 1964 times
* September 12, 2011, 06:03:32 PM
After many faithful years, I have lost my old version
4 from a system crash.  If I buy the latest version of TurboCAD, will it read my
old v4.x *.tcw files?

Thank you very much,
David

* September 12, 2011, 08:59:20 PM
Yes.

Version 18 can read TCW files back to version 2.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* September 12, 2011, 10:30:34 PM
Thank you, John.  That's a relief!

As a sidebar note, I was one of the original version 1 purchasers.  I loved that program.
It has sure come a long way since then hasn't it?  Success well earned!

Thanks again,
~~z

September 13, 2011, 03:44:30 AM
Is the free learning edition still offered. Wasnt it actually v4, just repackaged & given away for free? Can I offer the original poster a copy of v4 if he wants it, being he had an original version? If he is still running v4, what OS is he still running? He may need to upgraqde his PC to run a newer version.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* September 13, 2011, 08:22:35 AM
Thank you for the kind offer, kmartin.  Actually, I still have my original v4 CD and unlock key, so I don't think your copy would help.  I have tried to reinstall from it but TC just goes dead when I try to open a file.  It was running fine on XP, but the chap who rebuilt my system installed XP Pro and it doesn't work now.

I read someplace that older versions of TC would go blank if there are driver conflicts or mismatches.  I have seen some recent evidence of this, both audio and video, so am trying to determine if this might be the cause.

* September 14, 2011, 02:19:45 AM
I think your best option would be to purchase V18 "Designer". It's "all 2D" like Version 4 and it will work in XP, Vista and Windows 7. It is very inexpensive.

If you're looking to try some 3D, then Deluxe is still within a reasonable price range.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* September 15, 2011, 01:23:29 AM
Thanks, John.

I have never really needed 3D; so would it be safe to say that Designer will do everything that my old v4 would do?  (There are already too many things in my computer that I never use.)

Edit:  That wasn't very clear was it?  What I should have said was that if Designer will do everything that my old v.4 would do, then I will order it.  However, if there is any doubt, then I will order the Deluxe version.  I'm not trying to go cheap, I simply would just prefer to not load my machine up with more software that won't be used.

Thanks again,
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 06:43:14 AM by zapatero »

* September 16, 2011, 08:04:01 AM
You could go to the Trial page and download the Deluxe version for a test drive. There's no trial for Designer. Be aware that the interface has been drastically changed in V18 and many Menu items have been moved or removed from their normal locations. You can go to "Tools / Customize—›Options" page and "Load" an older configuration (1024×768) that is similar to what you had in Version 4.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* September 28, 2011, 06:11:06 PM
Just a little feedback to close this thread.  (I'm the OP.)

Based upon your inputs, and on my faith in TurboCAD as a quality product, I didn't even try the trial version.  I just plunged ahead and purchased the Deluxe, to replace my old defunct v. 4.

After my first tour through the tutorial, my first reaction was, oh my, this was a big mistake.  This is so much more complicated than my old v. 4 that I will never find the time to be able to learn how to use it.

Well then, after a couple of days of starting to get a feel for, and actually using it, I have changed my mind completely.  v. 18 is far smoother and user friendly than my old v. 4.    And indeed, as you have said, it reads my old v. 4 files.  So I am sold!  It is nice to be current again, after so many years!

Thanks again for your help!

* September 29, 2011, 08:09:32 AM
Good to hear that everything worked out well in the end.  ;)

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit