TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Question for Jack Zimmer - Roof Design
Read 6000 times
* September 05, 2011, 04:08:15 PM
Jack, as your are the expert in Turbo floor plan and Envisioneer, can unconventional and multi skillion roofs be produced using these programs. An example of the roofs are attached. I am half interested in purchasing either of the programs but when I trialed Turbo floor plan I was unable to produce this roof design. The attached file was produced in TC 17 pro.
I look forward to your reply.

* September 06, 2011, 06:37:36 AM
Yes.

I will generate a few samples.

Jack

* September 06, 2011, 06:59:58 AM
Hi Bob,

This sample uses Roof by Pick Points as opposed to insert by Perimeter. So I can make as many of Pick Points as I want to on a Location (first / second floor etc).

After inserting , you select 3 sides and convert them to Gables and the remaining side is used to set your roof pitch. You now have a 'long' shed roof.
Break that roof wherever you like , then select the 'arrow' associated with it and set it's new height.
This gives multiple skillion.

Jack

* September 06, 2011, 07:40:44 AM
Hi Bob,

Here are a few samples of single pitch roofs in a variety of layouts. They can be 'arched' or curved too.

Roofs can also be converted to surfaces and each sufaces can be elevated and pitch adjusted as individual planes.

Jack

* September 06, 2011, 09:22:16 AM
Hi Bob,

Here are a few samples of single pitch roofs in a variety of layouts. They can be 'arched' or curved too.

Roofs can also be converted to surfaces and each sufaces can be elevated and pitch adjusted as individual planes.

Jack

Wow.

Henry H

September 06, 2011, 10:05:59 AM
Those are great examples Jack. I'm becoming more and more interested in Turbo FloorPlan as a part of my workflow. I recently found a couple of SketchUp tools that work very well for creating roofs too. Since TC reads skp files so well it's easy to create a roof in SU and then bring it into TC. The roofs are created as components in SU and are imported into TC as blocks.

Instant Roof

1001bit Pro

The rendered images below show a cement tile roof I created using "Instant Roof" for a project I finished a couple weeks ago.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:24:54 AM by Brad Easterday »

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* September 06, 2011, 10:23:15 AM
Those are great examples Jack. I'm becoming more and more interested in Turbo FloorPlan as a part of my workflow. I recently found a couple of SketchUp tools that work very well for creating roofs too. Since TC reads skp files so well it's  easy to create a roof in SU and then bring it into TC. The roofs are created as components in SU and are imported into TC as blocks.

Instant Roof

1001bit Pro

The rendered images below show a cement tile roof I created using "Instant Roof" for a project I finished a couple weeks ago.

That's breathtaking work, Brad.

Henry H

* September 06, 2011, 09:15:13 PM
Thanks Henry, it is nice to have someone as talented as you appreciate some of TFPlans abilities.

Hi Bob, yes TFPlan is available in Australia and the local distributor may supply you with an Austrilian 'metric catalog', for use in the program. The catalog is similar to Styles in TCAD. You will find TFPlan easy to use but unlike many may think, it is not just a weekend users toy, it can get very complicated.

Hi Brad, As Henry said, that posted model is stunning. That is exactly why I'd like to get back to TCAD for advanced renderings. I was hesitant in the past because of the time it takes to assign materials. Now things are better.

SKP roofs may be nice, but they aren't 'smart', as was posted earlier in the framing examples, TFPlan is smart and contains both framing and material takeoff. But I still will calculate 'by hand'. (and toes).

But I bet SKP roof tool cant do these types of roofs ...   :)    TFPlan can. (edit, quick expaination on 'Octagon Curved'. You simply create an Octagon roof, set it all the way around to a double pitched roof , bottom section lower pitch than upper. Then you take the left side and curve it out, repeat for right side. Top and bottom get curved inwards. That's it, your done.)

Thanks for posting your beautiful work Brad.

Jack
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:26:48 PM by Jack Zimmer »

September 08, 2011, 10:52:32 AM
Re: SKP roofs may be nice, but they aren't 'smart', as was posted earlier in the framing examples, TFPlan is smart and contains both framing and material takeoff. But I still will calculate 'by hand'. (and toes).

That is true Jack. The SketchUp tools are most useful for rendering purposes. I good portion of what I do is creating renderings from plans or 2D CAD drawings. And they certainly won't do anything like the roof images you posted below. Very nice by the way.

As far as rendering goes, Dave Taylor just turned me on to the latest version of Renditioner. I gave it a quick try this morning and I am impressed. They have made some significant changes to the program. It's very intuitive and easy to run. The presets are very good too. The attached test image literally took just a couple of minutes to setup.

Renditioner Pro v2

BradE [ dean3Design ]

* September 08, 2011, 11:38:58 AM
Hi Brad,

I haven't tried the new Renditioneer. I will. Your rendering looks GREAT!
TFPlan v16, just out, imports DWG. It use to be necessary to do a screen grab, save as bmp,jpg,or tga file and use that to trace over. Now you can import , scale and trace over with 3D walls from the dwg.

thanks for the Renditioneer heads up.

edit : If memory serves me correctly, TFPlan exports as 3DS with materials, which Sketchup opens with materials and a save in Sketchup imported to Renditioneer carries those material assignments.  I would have to check and it's like running to right field, center and left to get to home plate... but sometimes it worth it.

Jack
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 12:27:14 PM by Jack Zimmer »

* September 14, 2011, 08:10:09 PM
Hi Jack do you need the pro version to to bring in the dwg file?  Still amazed with the work.
Greg

Greg Boheman
version 17.2 Plat.
on Mac book Pro

* September 14, 2011, 10:46:31 PM
Hi Greg,

Everything imports as dxf files to TCAD Deluxe. TFPlan doesn't 3D export dwg, just dxf, 3ds, vrml. It exports dxf as 2D line drawings for plans/ elevations etc.

You can see 2D plans come in nice / clean / accurate.
3D colors are UGLY, but help make changing to new materials easier at times.
Full layers are imported with dxf import.

Jack
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:50:19 PM by Jack Zimmer »

* September 14, 2011, 11:10:24 PM
Hells Bells,

Even my High Rise opened, navigated to view and did 'render' in less than 3min, in Deluxe.

Renderings from TFPlan (acutally from Envisioneer but they are the same in that respect).

Jack

September 14, 2011, 11:17:13 PM
Re: Renderings from TFPlan (acutally from Envisioneer but they are the same in that respect).

Nice work on those Jack.

BradE [ dean3Design ]

* September 15, 2011, 01:05:15 PM
Thanks Brad,

Something like this isn't hard to do in TFPlan,

Walls have Trim option in which you can select various options (Crown (molding), Chair Rail, Baseboard, Openings,Window and Door sills and Custom (for something like Wainscot).

So the colored accent 'details' automatically contour to the curved walls using the Crown option.

I can create one Floor , multiple Bldg Locations, and Duplicate that floor (walls, doors, windows , trim) to higher levels. Of course I don't have any interior wall layouts, I don't think the program would handle them.

This is the most involved test I've done. Worked out OK.

Jack

* September 15, 2011, 06:59:50 PM
I was looking at your statement about bringing in a dwg to TFP 16 and then drawing over it with 3d walls.  I noticed there are 2 levels of TFP 16 and am wondering if it matters which version you get.
Thanks

Greg Boheman
version 17.2 Plat.
on Mac book Pro

* September 16, 2011, 02:15:18 PM
I noticed there are 2 levels of TFP 16 and am wondering if it matters which version you get.

Hi Greg,

call 800.833.8082  sales

When you call sales be sure to ask if there are any special discounts because of your previous TCAD purchase.

There are some major differnece: Deluxe lacks

Some View Filter options (layers)
no Members (individual type) , it should have framing
no Footing options
no Corner Details or Shutters
no Line Tools (lines/ arc / circles)
no Animation

So, I'd say go Pro...

Jack