TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Video card for new computer
Read 3828 times
* July 29, 2009, 05:56:51 PM
I'm getting a new computer and would appreciate thoughts on  a good video card  for rendering in TC.
I've seen posts on the old forum about this subject but I don't know to access it.

Thanks
Don.

* July 29, 2009, 07:34:01 PM
re: old forum
http://forums.imsisoft.com/forums/index.cfm?CFApp=200&

It appears to be on an ancient server, so it will take some time to log on.

It's been said that it really doesn't matter what video card you have when using TurboCAD, but IMO it never hurts to be prepared. There's always other app's where a decent video card will be useful.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* July 29, 2009, 07:58:08 PM
re: old forum
http://forums.imsisoft.com/forums/index.cfm?CFApp=200&

It appears to be on an ancient server, so it will take some time to log on.

It's been said that it really doesn't matter what video card you have when using TurboCAD, but IMO it never hurts to be prepared. There's always other app's where a decent video card will be useful.

Thanks John,

I used the link, but it won't allow me to log on.

Don.

* July 30, 2009, 12:09:00 AM
If I get the logon page with 4 or 5 fields looking for info, I click on the link for the other form that just has Name and Password. It may ask for you to logon a second time (security?), but after that, I'm in. Then all I get is the "Are you so-n-so"  yes/no dialog.

I just tried getting on to the old forum, but it appears to have crashed again. :-(

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* July 30, 2009, 10:06:14 AM
I'm getting a new computer and would appreciate thoughts on  a good video card  for rendering in TC.
I've seen posts on the old forum about this subject but I don't know to access it.

Thanks
Don.

We have been using these for mapping plus Autocad.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4000-series.aspx

Don't have a 4870 yet for the TC machine -- but that and an ASUS M478T with a phenom 4 core and 8GB of memory should perform reasonably well.  :)

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX

* July 30, 2009, 04:28:03 PM
HI!

Your machine seems a real performer! How much time does Rentertest takes in 800x600? (I feel curious :D)

Also, I am not sure if TurboCAD handles this as some other 3D modelers, but high-end professional video cards provides anti-aliasing for Wireframe and hidden line views. This is a functionality not available with common gaming graphics adapters.  And if you like to have a preview render in OpenGL, pro graphics are known not to stutter when you rotate an object or you move in a scene.

These are the only advantages of a pro (lots of $$) versus a gaming (about 250$ for a recent one).
The advantages of a fast gaming card is only noticeable in OpenGL render mode.

Also, I strongly recommend (as AMD/ATI are the same company / affiliates) That if one buys an Intel i920 to i940 (neat processors) that he shall combine it with a nVidia video adapter. If one buys an AMD phenom, get it combined with an ATI. Less "oh that thing doesn't work well because of the combination". This may avoid any driver problems. I'm not saying that you are running after trouble if you do otherwise.

Stephane Faucher

* July 31, 2009, 07:45:27 AM
HI!

Your machine seems a real performer! How much time does Rentertest takes in 800x600? (I feel curious :D)

Also, I am not sure if TurboCAD handles this as some other 3D modelers, but high-end professional video cards provides anti-aliasing for Wireframe and hidden line views. This is a functionality not available with common gaming graphics adapters.  And if you like to have a preview render in OpenGL, pro graphics are known not to stutter when you rotate an object or you move in a scene.

These are the only advantages of a pro (lots of $$) versus a gaming (about 250$ for a recent one).
The advantages of a fast gaming card is only noticeable in OpenGL render mode.

Also, I strongly recommend (as AMD/ATI are the same company / affiliates) That if one buys an Intel i920 to i940 (neat processors) that he shall combine it with a nVidia video adapter. If one buys an AMD phenom, get it combined with an ATI. Less "oh that thing doesn't work well because of the combination". This may avoid any driver problems. I'm not saying that you are running after trouble if you do otherwise.

The fast machine is at the office -- 500KM away.  :)

I have asked the engineer to run the tests. I suppose I will be told where to go.

My Dual Core AMD (2.2 GHz) with 3GB and a ATI X1800 Video Card takes 4min 49 sec -- way too sloooowwww!

Update:

The fast machine did the render test in 3:43. Please note that both these machines are on the "balanced power plan" -- otherwise they start to fry the desks...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 08:27:36 AM by WillR »

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX