TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Text pocket milling
Read 16750 times
August 11, 2011, 06:05:07 PM
How do you pocket mill text in turbod cam? As what is done when engraving signs. I can do it by text milling the text then exploding the text, tracing around the text and then pocket mill each letter. But it not quite right. So I am woundering if there is a better way.

Engineering 30 plus years

August 12, 2011, 09:10:59 AM
I am not sure what you are asking, but here goes it. When milling text & using an .shx font, the text is engraved as it looks on the screen. When milling a true type font, the tool path will follow the inner & outer contour. If you need to mill raised text, then you will need to explode the text, twice I think, & create a seperate tool pathe for what are now polylines . This is the same issue as milling text on a curve in TCC. I hope this helps.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

August 12, 2011, 03:29:42 PM
 :) Perfect: I picked a font with an @ in front of it and it will pocket mill. I guess the fonts with the @ in front of them are .shx fonts. If you didn't respond to my post I would of never of tried diffrent fonts.

August 13, 2011, 04:13:18 PM
Update, I don't know what I did got get it to work but now I have tried all my fonts and non of them work. If I get it to work again or find a place to download the fontsthat will work I'll leave an update.

August 13, 2011, 08:13:38 PM
Can I get a screen shot of what you are trying to do, so I will have a better understanding. We here at the forum may be a bigger help if we can visually see what you are trying to accomplish.

TurboCAD user since v3

August 14, 2011, 08:53:23 AM
Attached is a screen shot. At the bottom left is how the letters are engraved using the .shx fonts that are in Turbocad. The bottom right is how I want it to engrave the letters. I got it to work once right once but I don’t know how I did it. I do know it was a font that started with an @ but I have tried all of them again along with the others with no luck.  I guess I need to fide a source where I can buy engraving fonts.

August 15, 2011, 07:16:51 PM
being that what you are doing is relatively a small set of characters, you can use any font. If you are using a true type font, just "explode" the text, twice I think, you will have to pocket mill each individual letter. The fonts in your screen shot do not appear to be .shx fonts.

TurboCAD user since v3

August 16, 2011, 06:06:04 PM
I wish it was that easy. I tried for days to repete what I did once and I can't do it. I explode the text but can't get the pocket mill function to work. Everytime I click on a letter I only get a binging sound. I wish there was a youtube movey showing how to pocket letters or better yet a function in TCC to do it.

August 18, 2011, 07:46:38 PM
are you elploding the text once or twice?

TurboCAD user since v3

August 19, 2011, 04:12:19 PM
I explode twice. I did notice I can pocket mill parts until I explode the text twice. Then I can't pocket mill anything and if I try to move anything I get an error message.

Editing the selected 2D object in the 3D mode changes the object's WorkPlane.
To set the WorkPlane, use the 'Place on WorkPlane' option from the Format menu.

There is not a WorkPlan option in the Format menu so there I am stuck.

August 19, 2011, 04:43:07 PM
Here is a picture of my Turbocad format menu.

* August 19, 2011, 08:56:29 PM
In version 18, the "new" Default interface has been completely rearranged. This makes it extremely difficult to give good answers most times.

You will find the "Place on Workplane" command on the "Modify" menu now. Why they stuck it there makes no sense to me; it doesn't Modify, but it does Format. The command can still be found in the "Format / Others" category on the Commands Page.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

August 20, 2011, 03:16:47 AM
Thanks for the reply, Now I can move the letters whthout the error but I still can't pocket mill them. I did notice I now can offset mill them and that is the only milling I can do to them.This may be a clue: I can open a drawing an pocket mill but if I explode anything in that drawing I no longer can pocket mill. I think I need to know wht explode is doing and how can I undo it so I can pocket mill.

* August 20, 2011, 04:41:00 AM
re: …I think I need to know what Explode is doing and how can I undo it so I can pocket mill.

Have the Selection Info palette open when using the Explode tool. It will show you that status of the selected object(s) when exploding. "Ctrl+Z" will usually work to undo whatever was done.

John R.

RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

August 20, 2011, 12:50:39 PM
Explode is causing the pocket mill alone with a few more mill fuctions to stop working. If pocket milling text is possable in Turbocad cam 18 I wish IMSI design would post a video on youtube showing all of us how.

August 21, 2011, 06:25:44 PM
I will let you know about that one tomorrow. Sorry for the lag in responses, I am working 7 days a week right now & I dont find a lot of time to get online other than to check email.

TurboCAD user since v3

August 22, 2011, 06:48:34 PM
I see its not just test but anything I drag to resize and join polyline just to name a few will cause most of the features to stop working. The only feature that always works is the offset mill. I running the program on a HP laptop running windows 7. If I setup the cam then make a circle then select the circle then drag it to make it larger then most cam features will stop working. I'm at a loss.

September 04, 2011, 05:26:19 PM
Well I never did find out if it was me or turbocad that has the issue with pocket milling text. I did get a complete course of turbocad from cad cources. I should get it next week some time I hope it helps.

September 09, 2011, 04:13:40 PM
I got the full course and all I will say the cam movies are the same movies that came with cam add in. I hope I learn something from the other movies. Don't get me wrong the turbocad cam program is a good program but there isn't any support that I can find.

September 10, 2011, 11:45:40 AM
Sorry for the lag in response, as always, these 7 day work weeks are stringing together & I either too tired to do any extra computer stuff, or too busy with the new wife and her grand daughter. Well here it goes.

1. Create your text from any true type font.
2. Explode twice. Now your text is a bunch of polylines.
3. Select all of the polylines & explode the twice once again. Each font is now two polylines. Similar to when you do a pick & point hatch. Delete the center (solid) polyline from each font. Now you can pocketmill the polyline just like in the tutorials.

EDIT: This should work in v18. I am not using v18 at work yet. I will need to install it on one of my home laptops. I will do so this weekend. Let me know if this procedure helps.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 11:57:17 AM by kmartin »

TurboCAD user since v3

September 10, 2011, 12:48:57 PM
Thanks for the reply. I been trying to that more then I can count and it's not working for me. I don't know what I'm doing I guess. I do know I did it once but I can't do it again. I sure it going to turn out to be something simple at least I hope. The Cam package works well for me as long as I don't move or explode anything. At that point most of the milling features quit working for me. I've even tried the TextAlongCurve in the draw menu. Like I say I hope this post will help alot of fokes.

September 10, 2011, 01:17:53 PM
Now this post is different than my previous posts on this subject. If you notice, I explode the text a total of 4 times & then delete some pieces before I can do the pocket milling. Try this approach & let me know if this works for you. It has always worked for me.

TurboCAD user since v3

September 10, 2011, 02:02:09 PM
I hope this attachment works. It's the letter T that I exploded. I've never tried to open a turbocad cam file on another computer. The endmill is .004" the stepover is .002" It's not working for me, if it works for you then I don't have something set right. Thanks

September 11, 2011, 08:25:11 AM
I downloaded your attachment & I cannot pocket mill any entity. I will report this as a bug. I have tried a new file & still cannot pocket mill or side mill any entity.
I hope this attachment works. It's the letter T that I exploded. I've never tried to open a turbocad cam file on another computer. The endmill is .004" the stepover is .002" It's not working for me, if it works for you then I don't have something set right. Thanks

TurboCAD user since v3

September 11, 2011, 08:59:51 AM
Thanks that makes me feel better that it's not me and it saving me many more hours trying to get it to work. I hope they get a fixed. It would be nice to see pocket mill text added to the cam program. I would even like to see text along a curve milling added where the exploding wasn’t needed to engrave the text.

September 11, 2011, 09:09:37 AM
Do you have v15 - v17? The procedue I told you earlier works in all 3 of those versions

TurboCAD user since v3

September 11, 2011, 06:41:06 PM
I do have version 16 but upgraded to version 18 for it PDF Underlay feature. I hope IMSI can fix the pocket mill issue I don't want to swap back and forth to do diffrent tasks.

September 12, 2011, 06:25:49 AM
I think the only way you will be able to use the CAM plugin immediately will be to point it to your v16 installation. I did report the bug in the BETA forum. Hopefully IMSI will take care of this soon, as I cannot use this at work until it is fixed.

TurboCAD user since v3

September 13, 2011, 11:02:35 AM
Just an update. Dave has sent this to the development team. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

TurboCAD user since v3

September 13, 2011, 03:35:09 PM
Sounds promising, Thanks for the update.

September 21, 2011, 07:16:13 PM
This is from Dave Taylor, he posted this in the Beta Tester forum:

I think it may be a corrupted install or build date issue.  I uninstalled the CAM plug-in and got rid of the CAM folder.
then re-installed using this link -

http://downloads.imsidesign.com/Plug-ins/18/CAM-PlugIn-for-TurboCAD-18.exe

Not I select polys and text that I could not for pocket milling previously in your drawing.

This worked for me. Now you can follow my previous instructions on exploding the text & pocket milling the letters.

TurboCAD user since v3

September 21, 2011, 07:34:18 PM
Thanks for the update. I'll try it tomorrow.

September 22, 2011, 06:31:08 PM
I tried it and it didn't work for me. Next I uninstalled the complete Turbocad cam package. Then install turbocad 18. Then downloaded and installed the path 18.1. last I downloaded the cam add in. No lusk. I guess I need to find a turbocad cam file that has text pocket milled on so I could try to pocket mill some text on a file that I know is good.

September 22, 2011, 06:43:41 PM
Can you post the file for me that you want done so I can see if it may be a file issue.

TurboCAD user since v3

September 23, 2011, 08:04:05 PM
Here is a simple plate I exploded the T and removed the solid part of the T. But I can't pocket mill the T.

September 24, 2011, 08:16:23 AM
Here are two files. One is a TCC file with pocket milled text, based on your design. The other is a self extracting .zip file with the post processor I use with Mach3. Run the zip file before you open TC.

TurboCAD user since v3

September 24, 2011, 12:36:16 PM
I can mill your text but I can't mill any I add. I guess I will try to uninstall my Turbocad again and start from strach. Right now I'm at a loss. I attached your file with the letter "T" I added to that will not pocket mill.

September 24, 2011, 01:38:20 PM
here is something strange. I cannot pocket mill any entity in the file. I cant even pocket mill anything I add.

TurboCAD user since v3

September 24, 2011, 01:41:29 PM
I'm starting to wonder if my install CD is bad. I install the 18.1 patch so I think it would fix it but maybe not.

September 24, 2011, 02:35:03 PM
Yeah, first uninstall the plug-in, then your TC installation. Make sure there are no remnant folders. Reboot, then re-install them & see what happens.

TurboCAD user since v3

September 25, 2011, 10:31:56 AM
I tried it on three diffrent computer with diffrent operating systems with no luck. I tried a dest computer with XP, A laptop with Vista and a laptop with Windows 7. I'm going to spend what's let of my weekend outside. I'll try something else in a few days. I might get it working by the time version 19 comes out.

September 25, 2011, 11:20:32 AM
Exactly what are the build numbers of the TurboCAD & CAM plug-in?

TurboCAD user since v3

September 25, 2011, 04:14:53 PM
My Turbocad Build is 38.5 I coludn't find a builder for the CAM but I did find the version and it is FILE VERSION 16.0.0.400

* September 27, 2011, 03:35:38 AM
From what I see in Help About for TurboCADCAM is an out of date dialog. Most of the DLL's for the CAM files show a file version of 6.0.6.0 or 6.0.0.1.

John R.

RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

September 27, 2011, 06:45:37 AM
That may be the issue here John. I hope this can get fixed soon. I would like to use v18, but I have to use v17 until the plugin is fixed.

TurboCAD user since v3

September 27, 2011, 09:24:13 AM
I am now pocket milling text. The only thing I did diffrent before installing the path, was to right click on the Turbocad folder and notice that it was read only. I turned off read only and then installed the patch. Then installed Cam. When I started Turbocad I new something was diffrent when I seen things I never saw before. Bottom line is it's working for me now. Thanks Kmartin for all your input.

September 27, 2011, 10:02:43 AM
Great to hear. I too finally got this working properly with v18 on my work PC.

TurboCAD user since v3

* August 17, 2013, 09:22:49 PM
This post was a lifesaver, worth bumping to the top of the list.

I purchased the CAM 3.5 for V18 on a disk.  But apparently the disk had a bad version of the CAM software on it that doesn't support pocket milling.  Once I uninstalled and and reinstalled it from the link below, pocket milling worked perfectly.  Unfortunately both the good and bad versions are both called version 3.5, so if you are having any problems, toss the disk and download the good version from IMSI:

http://downloads.imsidesign.com/Plug-ins/18/CAM-PlugIn-for-TurboCAD-18.exe

What a nightmare!  I should bill IMSI for all my wasted time.

* September 18, 2014, 12:27:38 AM
Where do you find the shx fonts and can they be imported into tc?

September 19, 2014, 08:06:13 AM
TCC should come with some shx fonts. Did toy do a FULL install when you installed TC & the CAM plugin?

TurboCAD user since v3