TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Wrapped Brick Image
Read 4365 times
* August 07, 2011, 03:46:18 PM
I am trying to add a wrapped brickwork image of to a wall. I took a digital photograph of the brick wall I wanted to reproduce in the drawing, reduced the size and resolution in Adobe Photoshop and then used the material editor in TC to produce a new wrapped brick material. The result is shown in the attached pdf file. Basically the image is produced as squares of brickwork when applied to the wall. What am I doing wrong. Henry, I am sure you can help.

August 07, 2011, 04:08:26 PM
Hi Bob. The effect you're seeing is because your image is not yet a seamless tile. The light falling across your image is brighter in the center than at the edges. That will cause the defined squares like you're seeing. Another aspect of seamless tiles is that the objects that are cut off at the edges, bricks in this case, continue at the adjacent edge.

There are a great number of tutorials out there on this subject. Just search for "creating seamless textures" or "creating seamless tiles" or "creating seamless patterns". You find many that use Photoshop to do the work.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 04:11:35 PM by Brad Easterday »

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* August 07, 2011, 11:11:06 PM
Many thanks Brad, I will investigate.
The brick sample .jpg was saved to the desktop for the sake of ease. In Options - Materials - Edit Materials...create a new category...create new material, select Wrapped filtered image from the selection menu, click on File Name and browse to the location of your brick .jpgs, click Open and Apply.  Select Arbitrary Plane, the help file will help with Aspect ratio, the Origin Values are simply the centre of the rectangle. Scale is variable.
HTH a bit.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* August 08, 2011, 03:31:59 PM
Hi Bob,

Your Brick image will not tile, it contains differences of light and dark and edges do not match well.

You may like to try one of these two from TurboFloorplan.

Jack

August 08, 2011, 06:30:28 PM
Don, I followed your method but it did not work. I have attached the .jpg of the brick material I am trying to wrap. Maybe you will have better success.

Try this one, Bob. I took your image and massaged it a bit in Paint Shop Pro.

Edit: a TC screen-grab added. Seamless, tiles nicely.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:46:21 PM by Julian Thomas »

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* August 09, 2011, 05:30:18 AM
Don, I followed your method but it did not work. I have attached the .jpg of the brick material I am trying to wrap. Maybe you will have better success.

Bob,

Did it not work for you at all?

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* August 09, 2011, 08:33:12 AM

Very nicely done, Julian.

Henry H

August 09, 2011, 02:59:15 PM

Good job with that Julian.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

August 10, 2011, 05:39:46 AM
Julian, many thanks for re-working my brick image, and well done...

Glad it works Bob, it'll be good to see a render when you've finished. And thanks for the compliments Henry & Brad.

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* August 12, 2011, 09:14:56 AM
Hi Bob (all)

BIM files are available for import into TFPlan. Bim files can be images or 3D objects. The link below shows the manufactures that have provided BIM files for TFPlan users to import into thier program.

3D Objects like Kohler tubs / showers / faucets etc, are complete 3D models. Other companies have created jpg images of thier products like Boral Brick and these jpgs usually are tiled correctly.

All of these items are also accessable from your C Drive Textures folder, where they are stored, and can either be imported into TCAD, in the case of 3D Objects, or assigned as Textures in TCAD.

For thier value to someone working on Architectural Products, it would be well worth the money spent to purchase TFPlan just to get all these items. But any work in TFPlan will import to TCAD, so you also benifit on that account too.

The BIM files available are found here , ready to import to TFPlan. I have imported Andersens 3D Windows and Doors but don' t know how to make them 'smart' and to auto insert into TCAD walls.

http://www.green3dhome.com/BIMCatalogs.aspx

Jack
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 06:24:58 PM by Jack Zimmer »

* August 12, 2011, 06:18:01 PM
Hi Bob,

The windows / doors can be inserted in TCAD as block into openings but that requires creating an opening , inserting , elevating etc.  but that is way too much work to be profitable.

The 'new' TurboFloorplan has some items similar to Floorplan 3D but TFPlan is a completley new product build with many more features. There is no way I can produce (basic walls, windows/ doors , roofs, floors , ceilings , stairs , footings, textures  and renders) faster in TCAD.  

You cannot create Working Drawing layouts in TFPlan but can export dxf files of a plan set including Floor plans, Elevations, Sections, Electrical layouts, Framing Plans , Roof Plans , Site Plans and open them in TCAD.

I recommend TFPlan and TCAD combo..   :)

Jack
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 01:04:59 AM by Jack Zimmer »

* August 13, 2011, 10:56:16 PM
Hi Bob,

There is a terrian tool option in TFPlan and you can do simple / relatively inaccurate terrians (compared to the Advanced Terrian options in TCAD)... but stepped footings auto attach to stepped walls so most walkout type foundations are not hard to do.

Jack
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:58:27 PM by Jack Zimmer »