TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Wrapped Textures - Checkerplate
Read 2201 times
* July 26, 2011, 06:34:59 PM
I'm trying to apply a wrapped texture to an object to achieve a checkerplate appearance in v17. As there doesn't appear to be a checkerplate pattern available in the library (was there something in previous versions?), I'm applying a photo I've taken. The problem is that the wrapped image is clearly tiled. I'm looking for some direction in how to achieve a seamless checkerplate finish.

* July 26, 2011, 08:24:47 PM
OK. I've found something under materials editor. I must be tired - I was sure I'd been through all that :) It's enough to get me through today, but I would still like to be able to wrap my own image seemlessly. If anyone can help I'd love to hear from you.

* July 26, 2011, 09:16:53 PM
OK. I've found something under materials editor. I must be tired - I was sure I'd been through all that :) It's enough to get me through today, but I would still like to be able to wrap my own image seemlessly. If anyone can help I'd love to hear from you.

As long as the image itself is capable of seamless wrapping, most Wrapping modes will do it seamlessly. Post the image and the TCad drawing, and somebody will surely help.

Henry H

* July 26, 2011, 09:51:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Here's a small TCad file with a part, and an image of checkerplate. I've tried to get a section of checkerplate which is evenly coloured, but I'm still getting a tiling effect across the part. I'm not very good on lighting, & maybe that's part of the problem. Anyway, any advice will be appreciated.

* July 26, 2011, 09:57:41 PM
Looks like I didn't attach the image file correctly previously. Let's try again.

* July 26, 2011, 10:44:42 PM
Looks like I didn't attach the image file correctly previously. Let's try again.

It's past my bedtime in this part of the world. Pretty sure I can fix your problem, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow ;-)

There's an excellent chance that somebody else will fix it in the meantime.

Henry H

* July 27, 2011, 11:50:37 AM
Try the attached "Checker Plate_via TCad.jpg" in lieu of your photo. Use it in "Wrapped height map" Texture. I specified "ST layout" Wrapping, with Rotation = 45 deg.

Henry H

* July 27, 2011, 06:30:29 PM
Thanks cery much Henry. I'm very happy with the result. I played with S & T scales a bit (set both to 100) before I could see much detail. Don't know if I should have, but it all looks great.

* July 27, 2011, 07:52:05 PM
Thanks cery much Henry. I'm very happy with the result. I played with S & T scales a bit (set both to 100) before I could see much detail. Don't know if I should have, but it all looks great.

Yup, you should have. That's what the scales are for. Glad it works for you.

Henry H

July 27, 2011, 08:33:13 PM
Just curious Henry, does your texture have a negative (indent) around each tread?

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* July 27, 2011, 09:54:54 PM
Just curious Henry, does your texture have a negative (indent) around each tread?

If you're wondering about the narrow darkish region bordering each tread, Julian, I was concerned that it might create the impression of an indent when rendered. Couldn't easily get rid of that region, so I gave the image a try as-is, and it seems to render just fine.

Henry H

July 29, 2011, 05:20:26 AM
Yip, that's what I meant, and you're right - the render does look good. Here's my version, the texture was created with MS Word.

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* July 29, 2011, 09:22:36 AM
Yip, that's what I meant, and you're right - the render does look good. Here's my version, the texture was created with MS Word.

That's really excellent, Julian. I had no idea Word was capable of such things. My own texture image was created by making a 3D model of the checker plate in TCad, then massaging a screenshot in Paint Shop Pro.

Henry H