TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Adding height to a block
Read 1399 times
* July 28, 2011, 06:06:59 PM
I have a very simple block to represent a vent for a gas appliance.  It consists of two concentric circles where the larger diameter includes the required one inch clearance from combustibles.

When I place a copy of the block and then select it and open the 3D tab under properties, the "Create 3D object as" and thickness options are grayed out.

How do I get access to these options or is there another way for me to increase the height?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

* July 28, 2011, 06:52:45 PM
Go to the block palette Joe, click the required block, and then select edit from the top of the block palette, this will bring the block up for editing. Select the parts of the block that you want to edit, and change, then finish editing. Not on my cad machine at present, but will try and post an example later.

Just one question, is it a block or a symbol ??.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 06:56:30 PM by Michael Geraghty »

* July 28, 2011, 07:07:39 PM
It's a block. 

My thought was that the block would stay as 2D but I would convert a copy of it to 3D as needed.  The height of the vent will vary according to where it is placed in the house and should be adjustable from the location where it is used rather than at the block itself. 

Perhaps you are saying that the block itself needs to be defined as 3D. I guess that would make sense.  If that is the case I hope I can simply give it an eighth inch of height as a block and then adjust the height where it is placed.

Sounds promising.

Thanks,

Joe

* July 28, 2011, 07:24:20 PM
Hello joe, I am on my machine now, when you select the 2d block in the block palette, click on the edit content button above the the block palette that has EC on it, then the block will come up ready for editing, so just got to properties and edit the 3d thickness. After you have finished editing, go back to the block palette and click on the tick mark to finish editing. If you want  to keep your 2d block as well, then insert a block first, explode and then save as a new block with a different name say block??-3d. Every time you insert the 3d block, just explode if you want to edit the size, and it will not alter the size of the original block.

* July 28, 2011, 07:40:19 PM
Not sure if I know exactly what you are after Joe, but if you want a section of pipe, just do a simple extrude by selecting two circles at the same time, then give it a height, and then save it as a 3d block. Insert the 3d block whenever you require, and explode to edit the height as required.

* July 28, 2011, 08:20:56 PM
It's a block. 

My thought was that the block would stay as 2D but I would convert a copy of it to 3D as needed.  The height of the vent will vary according to where it is placed in the house and should be adjustable from the location where it is used rather than at the block itself. 

Perhaps you are saying that the block itself needs to be defined as 3D. I guess that would make sense.  If that is the case I hope I can simply give it an eighth inch of height as a block and then adjust the height where it is placed.

Sounds promising.

Thanks,

Joe

You can do that in TCad Pro. If you want a cylindrical shell, proceed as follows. (If you want a pair of thin cylinders, see the next paragraph.) Extrude the two circles at once, with "Use compound profile" enabled, by holding the Shift key to include both circles in the extrusion. (The result will be a cylindrical shell.) Format the result as a Block. You can change the Size Z (i.e., height) of individual instances of the Block after dragging them into the drawing.

If you want a pair of thin-walled cylinders, extrude the circles individually to equal heights, with "Use compound profile" NOT enabled. Shell each extrusion, omitting the end faces from the operation. Select both objects and drag them together into the Blocks palette. The height of individual instances of this Block can be edited in the same way as outlined above.

Deluxe does not provide the "Use compound profile" option or the Shell tool. You can get the same result, however, simply by subtracting a small-diameter circular extrusion from a larger one.

Henry H