TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

What is TurboCad doing when its not doing anything?
Read 2493 times
* July 26, 2011, 04:17:19 PM
I have a busy TurboCad file up. It has lots of bits and pieces, and maybe a dozen paperspace configurations. But I'm not doing anything with it. Windows task manager shows TC churning away at 30% CPU or more. What is it doing? There's nothing rendered at the moment, and I'm not moving the mouse ... but still the numbers.

Thanks,
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* July 26, 2011, 09:20:03 PM
I have a busy TurboCad file up. It has lots of bits and pieces, and maybe a dozen paperspace configurations. But I'm not doing anything with it. Windows task manager shows TC churning away at 30% CPU or more. What is it doing? There's nothing rendered at the moment, and I'm not moving the mouse ... but still the numbers.

Thanks,
Mark

Same here. I suspect it's plotting new devilry.

Henry H

* July 27, 2011, 10:00:53 AM
Mine fluctuates between 2% and 5% usage.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* July 27, 2011, 10:28:34 AM

Thanks,
Mark

The problem is, it actually interferes with typing in other windows. I'd prefer to leave it running, but need to shut it down.

Mark

Same here. I suspect it's plotting new devilry.

Henry H

TCW Pro 14.2

July 29, 2011, 01:33:06 PM
Hi MarcS,

That question I had in 2009
see: http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,1791.0.html

I never had a good answer for it ...

Are you using AnimationLab 4.4 ?
or CAM module ?
Do you use a AMD processor ?
Do you have Internet connections to that computer ?

I'm still looking for an answer to ...
I'm thinking maybe use of SSE ??
Or intel support and not with AMD ??

Marc,
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:38:12 PM by marc_256 »

greetings from belgium (Pajottenland)
WIN 8.1/10 - x64
- TC 9 --> TC 16.2 / 52.0 pro Platinum
- AnimationLab 4.4 - MontageCenter 1.0
- CAM plug-in for v 16

* July 29, 2011, 05:37:24 PM
No animation lab.
No cam.
Intel processor
McAfee Antivirus

It doesn't seem to always happen. I'm wondering if it happens when you get close to the edge of physical memory.

Right now, its down at the 5% level. But if I hover and move the mouse over the drawing area, it zooms up to 45%

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* July 30, 2011, 07:16:52 AM
Mark-
 When you touch the mouse, it lets the genie's loose. ;D

Let me get a little wordy - sorry.

In all programs that use a pointing device or keyboard, the computer is never 'doing nothing' it is constantly monitoring the position of the mouse and/or whether a key has been pressed. The mere movement of the mouse one increment (not even a pixel) will trigger a whole bunch of code to see where it is now and whether a key has been pressed or not. This is basically what is called ( unless it's changed in the last few years) object oriented programming. So that jump to a higher % is the computer getting ready to take further action. Even though you do not press the mouse key you will note that your selection may be highlighted - the computer is getting ready for you.

You will also note some jumps in usage when you don't even touch the mouse, (The genies read your mind also!) that is the computer doing what is referred to as house cleaning. Things like backups, memory optimization, table cleanup, etc ad infinite.

Ed

Rel 20 Pro Platinum

* July 30, 2011, 10:06:05 AM
Nothing is selected. Using 45% of total resources while just hovering seems exteme. But that's not a serious use case.

The real problem is when its running at 30%, not doing anything, for prolonged periods of time. We're talking a file that is basically static There shouldn't be that much going on.

The reason its a problem, is that it actually slows down typing in other windows.

TCW Pro 14.2

* July 30, 2011, 10:36:59 AM
I just did a little playing around with the task manager open. Even if TC is minimized it is a nosy little bugger. Doing anything on the screen in another program or just moving around still wakes up the genies. It's positional detection must be on all the time. I did quiet it down by using a smaller window and moving it to my other monitor. Nary a peep out of it over there. Same thing if I do other work on the 2nd screen, TC does not wake up.

Don't have a definitive answer.

Ed

Rel 20 Pro Platinum

July 30, 2011, 12:01:43 PM
Hi edbardet,

Let me get a little wordy - sorry.

In all programs that use a pointing device or keyboard, the computer is never 'doing nothing' it is constantly monitoring the position of the mouse and/or whether a key has been pressed. The mere movement of the mouse one increment (not even a pixel) will trigger a whole bunch of code to see where it is now and whether a key has been pressed or not. This is basically what is called ( unless it's changed in the last few years) object oriented programming. So that jump to a higher % is the computer getting ready to take further action. Even though you do not press the mouse key you will note that your selection may be highlighted - the computer is getting ready for you.

I write my own software for about 25 years now,
and I'm developing my own 3D software and 3D game engines.
If your program is ok, (well written) and you minimize your program,
I had never the use cpu time.

There must be something else,
I installed more ram in my PC 1GB, 2GB, 2.5 GB and all the same ??

I tested it on 3 of my computers with the same result ??
only on my P IV it worked ok.

I use:
OS = WIN XP pro - SP3
CPU = AMD Athlon XP
RAM = 2 GB (now)
Anti Virus = NOD32

I installed new mouse with other driver, same problem.

I use very heavy 3D modeling software, and more than one 3D mesh editors on the same time on the PC,
once they are minimized they not using cpu time at all.

Marc,
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:04:31 PM by marc_256 »

greetings from belgium (Pajottenland)
WIN 8.1/10 - x64
- TC 9 --> TC 16.2 / 52.0 pro Platinum
- AnimationLab 4.4 - MontageCenter 1.0
- CAM plug-in for v 16