TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Workplane by facet vector orientation
Read 1320 times
* July 14, 2011, 05:59:43 AM
I have a drawing that I want to print with an Isometric_SW view.  I want the dimensions on the left side of the drawing to be on the same plane as the back of a footing that shows on the front view. 

My first approch was to switch to an Isometric_NE view to expose the back side of the footer and then use the workplane to facet option to select that surface to set the workplane.  When I returned to the front view, selected all the dimensions to be moved and did a move to workplane everything moved as planned but the dimension text was upside down/backwards. 

I checked help on workplane by facet and discovered that one can select facets behind the exposed one by the use of the pageup and pagedown keys.  I thought this would be my solution but when I moved the dimensions the text was screwed up again.

I tried to move the dimensions by the use of the Inspector Bar but placements seemed to get mangled.  Perhaps I should spend more time with that approach.

I hope my explantion is understandable and that someone can suggest a solution.

Thanks in advance - Joe

* July 14, 2011, 07:10:08 AM
Workplane by 3 Points would be a better option... you can control the Workplane orientation better.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* July 14, 2011, 10:49:43 AM
I hadn't thought of 3 point.  I tried it now but I can't get the z-axis to point in the right direction with this approach.  The workplane ends up in front of the footer instead of behind it.

I think I can do a named workplane and do a manual edit of the z-axis in the Design Director.  I have picked up the idea for IMSI support staff that that is not a good idea but I have successfully used this approach to manage floor heights in a multi-story building so I'll try it here.  But I remain open to differant approaches.

Thanks,

Joe

July 14, 2011, 11:19:56 AM
I hadn't thought of 3 point.  I tried it now but I can't get the z-axis to point in the right direction with this approach.  The workplane ends up in front of the footer instead of behind it.

I think I can do a named workplane and do a manual edit of the z-axis in the Design Director.  I have picked up the idea for IMSI support staff that that is not a good idea but I have successfully used this approach to manage floor heights in a multi-story building so I'll try it here.  But I remain open to differant approaches.

Thanks,

Joe

If you are just changing the height of the workplane, just use the workplane origin tool. One snap and it is there.

* July 14, 2011, 12:57:21 PM
Thanks Don,

That solves my problem and helps me to understand how the set origin feature works.  I had tried to use the tool to establish the point at which x,y, and z axis values are zero.  It didn't work as I thought it should.

As I understand it now, the tool allows the user to choose one plane out of the set of all  planes parallel to the current workplane.  How about "Set Workplane level" as opposed to "Set Workplane Origin?"

Perhaps my understanding is still incomplete.  If so I sit ready to be corrected!

Thank you,

Joe