TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Food Truck Park
Read 2730 times
June 05, 2011, 07:40:48 PM
Refining a project I posted renders of earlier, as it goes through the Planning Dept.
Planning is treating us pretty well, but brother, you don't want to be the guy who is trying to get a "First of it's kind" (as the plan reviewer called it) project through the Building Department.

We will be using Pallets a screens, or dividers, and all planting will be in 55gal drums . . .

RMc____
In preparing for battle, planning is essential, but plans are useless . . . Dwight David Eisenhower
v 19.2 Pro Platinum 64 bit
v 14.2 Pro
Turbo Floor Plan Pro v 15
Windows 10 x 64 Home

June 07, 2011, 01:46:07 AM
The site cozies up to the Central Freeway, did this one for fun.
It would complete the render if I only selected those items that could be seen.

RMc____
In preparing for battle, planning is essential, but plans are useless . . . Dwight David Eisenhower
v 14.2 Pro
Windows 10 x 64 Home

June 10, 2011, 10:01:07 AM
That would be a very interesting place to visit Rick.

Just curious. Are the vans permanent fixtures or can they be driven out? I guess I am wondering if each van is self-contained or are they tied into the city infrastructure (water & sewage, etc)?

* June 10, 2011, 11:00:55 AM

That image is great in that it conveys a genuine sense of "presence" -- but the paving material is a little bit short of convincing.

Henry H

June 11, 2011, 03:59:26 AM
That would be a very interesting place to visit Rick.

Just curious. Are the vans permanent fixtures or can they be driven out? I guess I am wondering if each van is self-contained or are they tied into the city infrastructure (water & sewage, etc)?

The Vans are self contained. The Developers will rent monthly spaces to the trucks, perhaps allowing them to choose to work only one shift, ie. Lunch or Dinner. Another truck would fill the space for Dinner.
The trucks could spend the night, but Heath Department requires their refrigerators be plugged in and our electrical service won't support ten big refers. Heath Dept, doesn't trust generators when no one is present. Also they need to dump their grey water tanks and refill potable water.

Most trucks have Commissaries or Restaurants they return to. Still some might find it convenient to return to our lot after cleaning out, what with cost of parking a large vehicle in a Big City.

I had to find templates for turning radii of 25ft vans, and one sheet in the plans is simply the lanes required to get trucks in and out. To prove our selves that it could be done, and it works well for Fire Lanes for the Fire Dept.

The vendors leases will limit the times trucks can enter and leave the site to before the lunch rush and mid afternoon between lunch and dinner.

I must say, the SF Planning Dept, has been extremely helpful, as has Health as well as Building.
What we are doing, is taking facilities that have always been used at Temporary Events, weekend Farmer's Markets, half day Food Fairs, or lunch hour gatherings of Four or Five Trucks, and creating a permanent fixed location. A restaurant with 10 Kitchens on wheels, each with it's own to go counter.
The Developers have to supply what a restaurant supplies, restrooms, handicapped accessibility, sanitation, and overall responsibility.

So we find ourselves in an area that hasn't been codified, the last time they wrote the rules, this wasn't on anyone's mind . . .
Of course there's two kinds of Bureaucrats, one who hasn't seen something in training, and doesn't see anything allowing such a use, and simply Decides "Can't Be Done", "Won't Be Allowed".
Then on the next shift there's the kind of clerk who notices that there is nothing specifically prohibiting such a use, and then goes on a hunt and peck search through the codes to find the regulations that could be read to support the project. Or to simply determine that nowhere is it prohibited.

I sat there as a plan review supervisor gave one of his intake technicians a tutorial on how to use the California Building Codes. Reading slowly word by word the legalese of the codes, by Chapter and section, then discussing the meaning of the section, we would determine the section didn't apply. Then we would find a section. seemingly vague, but when examined and thought out, would allow us to proceed.

It has been a real Continuing Education.

When sitting there with the Supervisor and his technician, I realized, the Codes are so vast and numerous, State and City, covering so many phases of construction, revised every few years, that no one, including Plan Checkers, can know them all. Some peoples' response to not knowing of a code that would allow something, would be to decline it, you're done, thank you. Luckily I ran into one of the guys who opens the book and looks for ways to get something done.

Finally, in thirty years in construction I have made a lot of phone calls, I have never before had to call the US Justice Dept in Washington DC . . .
The City Building Department, which doesn't deal with Food Trucks before this, kept asking about ADA accessibility. My response, "they are out there everyday selling, they must have worked it out. They probably bring the food out to a disabled customer".

The Inspector pointed out that until I determined what the regulations were, the project would be at risk of an Accessibility Lawsuit.

The Health Dept. permits the trucks, so I called them to see what they enforced in the way of accessibility.
"Who's asking about accessibility?" was the response. "uh, the Building Department".
"Why's the Building Department asking about food trucks? We take care of the trucks. You tell the Building Department, the Health Department permits food trucks".
"uh, nevermind", that was a fight I wasn't getting in the middle of . . .

The California Department of Housing and Community Development certifies the Food Trucks, as well as Mobile Homes, buses, and RVs. "Well we certify them, but for proper construction, and Fire Suppression Systems over the stoves, and Road Worthiness".  They did know there was nothing about Wheelchair access inside the trucks, say for a potentially Disabled employee. You just weren't going to get a Broiler stove and a Soda Cooler with a 36" passage between them, inside a truck.

California HCD suggested I talk with USACCESS, or the United States Access Board, Washington, D.C., "a Federal Agency Committed to Accessible Design". "You need to provide access to the truck", "Well, of course", I said, "but most of these ordering and pick up windows are six feet of the ground, I'm looking for any regulations concerning additional serving windows, or such". "oh". Then she gave me the phone number of the DOJ.

United States Department of Justice, Washington D.C., He took a few minutes to look for cases, looked at the ADA and ABA codes. "We don't regulate the designing of Food Trucks, if they have a lower level pass through window, good for them". He went on, "You need to make each truck accessible to the disabled, after that, if the vendor wants to step out of the truck to serve someone in a wheelchair, that works for us".

So there it was, straight from the guys who took down John Dillinger, and the Uni Bomber.
thank You and Good Night.

That image is great in that it conveys a genuine sense of "presence" -- but the paving material is a little bit short of convincing.

Henry H

Yeah, I'll agree on that, had something before I liked but I wanted it darker, so I came up with that strange stuff . . . All I really needed to do was tone down my lighting, the previous paving was simply washed out.
For paving, I experiment in Stone using marbles or granites and keeping my colors in Grays, Blacks, and Browns with a hint of white. Between Scale and Detail, and Grain Scale and Grain, whatever other options there are, I occasionally lose my Benchmark.

RMc____
v 14.2 Pro
Windows 10 x 64 Home

June 11, 2011, 06:41:17 AM
The Vans are self contained. The Developers will rent monthly..........

Thanks for the lowdown on all of the process, I appreciated reading through it. It goes to show that there is a pile of effort to be put into things that the general public is not remotely aware of.

I got educated in this area when I began doing drawing for large scale production of RTA furnishings. First, all the regulations and testing (i.e. fire testing/rating) and then what it take to get one's product in the big chain stores nation wide. Like your project - not for the faint of heart.

I think the truck lot idea is great and would visit regularly if it was in my locale.

June 16, 2011, 07:32:16 PM
What a great project. It's nice to see your progress on these.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1