TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Problem with Block Attribute
Read 5728 times
* July 20, 2009, 06:04:18 AM
Hi All,

I have finally figured out how to repeat the steps, so here goes, just wondering if anyone else has the problem. If I have a block with a text block attribute, I set the justification for either center, or right and no value set as a default in the text line.  Then drag the block into the drawing, but don’t enter text at that moment, what will happen is if I go back to enter text during the same drawing session everything works fine, if however I save and close the drawing and then reopen, when I go to edit the text for the attribute on the placed block it reverts to left justification, though going into Edit Content in block editing, center or right is still selected, the only way to correct at this point is to delete the block previously placed on the drawing and drag a new one out and enter the text then. 

I am working around this at the moment by a placing value as place holder, though I don’t always want to have text with the block when first inserted.
This happens in both 15.2 & 16.1

EDIT: I have attached an example of the problem

Thanks,
Russell
TC 16.1 Vista Ult 64bit

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 04:25:05 AM by RussellB »

* July 21, 2009, 03:22:02 PM
I'm getting the same results as you with both your drawing, and one that I created from scratch. Since I don't use attributes very often... I can't say for sure it's a bug... but I would venture a guess that it is  ;D

I haven't seen this in any of my title blocks that have attributes... now you've got me worried.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* July 21, 2009, 04:17:21 PM
I get the same as you do with your drawing and in a new drawing. I'm inclined to look at this as a BUG, though it may be because the field is empty. Stick a "period" in there or use Alt+0032 if you want a blank space.

You don't have to delete the Block. When it's selected, go to the Selection Info palette and click on the +Plus sign next to "Block Insertion". Click on the Attribute label. Expand the Text property and correct the Format value.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 04:19:52 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* July 22, 2009, 09:38:47 AM
I get the same as you do with your drawing and in a new drawing. I'm inclined to look at this as a BUG, though it may be because the field is empty. Stick a "period" in there or use Alt+0032 if you want a blank space.

You don't have to delete the Block. When it's selected, go to the Selection Info palette and click on the +Plus sign next to "Block Insertion". Click on the Attribute label. Expand the Text property and correct the Format value.

Thanks for the feedback folks, wasn't sure if it was just me, or what.
Good idea with the null char and the "Select Info" palette, this way I don't have to try and get the correct position of the block again.

What I would like to see (besides having the block remember the text format) is in the +"Block insertion" drop-down, is to have the Attribute, with the attribute tag, this would make it much easier to navigate thru a block with multiple Attributes something along the lines of

- Block insertion
 T Attribute (Tag Name)
 T Attribute (Tag Name)
etc.

RussellB

* July 22, 2009, 12:56:44 PM
What I would like to see (besides having the block remember the text format) is in the +"Block insertion" drop-down, is to have the Attribute, with the attribute tag, this would make it much easier to navigate thru a block with multiple Attributes something along the lines of

- Block insertion
 T Attribute (Tag Name)
 T Attribute (Tag Name)
etc.

RussellB

They do have a Rename feature (right-click), where you could rename the Attribute to a name of your choice, but that seems tedious. It might not be so bad if you "copy" a renamed Block as opposed to dragging in a new instance of that Block.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:59:46 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* July 23, 2009, 05:20:39 AM
Thanks for pointing out the right-click Rename, who would have thunk.., I agree as it being cumbersome since I can’t find the tag name anywhere in the Selection Info/Block insertion/Attribute/ Property drop-down menu, Perhaps under the Property/General/Info have that display the Tag Name as that is the same information under the Property/General/Attribute/Attribute Value,  unless of course these two can differ in other situations. 

RussellB

* August 06, 2009, 09:31:30 AM
Adding on to a concern here, I'm trying to change the text height of the attributes of multiple blocks.  I have about 150 I need to do.  Basically I want to make the text larger and don't want to change each and everyone.  I updated the original block's attribute's text size but it has no effect on the text size for the blocks I already have in the drawing.  Does anybody have an idea to make this simpler.  I can change each own by updating it in the selection bar, but again, I can only do one of those at a time instead of multiple.

Cameron Blair

* August 06, 2009, 10:12:53 AM
I came up with one method, though I didn't like doing it and was still hoping for a better way.  I exploded all the blocks which turned the attributes in text, I then selected each different group of texts, (they varied in size already) and then changed them to a style I had already set. 

My next question however is why when you change some aspects of text styles (font style) it will update all the text that corresponds to that style, but not the text height.  Any suggestions to make this process smoother?

Cameron Blair

* August 06, 2009, 11:14:51 AM
My next question however is why when you change some aspects of text styles (font style) it will update all the text that corresponds to that style, but not the text height.  Any suggestions to make this process smoother?

I don't have answers for this text height problem; it could be a bug, but I see it 'as designed". I wouldn't want to see the text height changed across the board as a title block may have several different heights within it. If they "all" are changed to a new height, it could create a mess.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* August 06, 2009, 11:25:05 AM

I don't have answers for this text height problem; it could be a bug, but I see it 'as designed". I wouldn't want to see the text height changed across the board as a title block may have several different heights within it. If they "all" are changed to a new height, it could create a mess.

I see what you mean.  I know there are ways I could have avoided this problem such as placing the text for certain attributes on their own layer and it would have been much easier to come back later to deal with this.  Does anybody know if there is a way to select text by its style only?

Cameron Blair

* August 06, 2009, 11:49:33 AM
re: Does anybody know if there is a way to select text by its style only?

Theoretically, Ctrl+Q (Select by Query) should do this, but it doesn't see inside a Block.

I tried Ctrl+Q,
Criteria - Object Properties,
expand "Text/Attribute definition/Attribute"
I tried Font and then Text Styles.
neither could find the value specified.
when a Block was being edited, then Ctrl+Q worked.
Blocks in TurboCAD could use some improvement. :-(

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled