TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Still a gap in the market for furniture makers
Read 3479 times
May 07, 2011, 08:19:32 AM
Such a shame that Turbocad's Furniture Maker doesn't yet meet the needs of most small furniture making shops. I have to agree with this which was recently posted on a Woodweb Cad forum: QUOTE 'I have checked into Microvellum and agree that it certainly offers a cad based solution for larger shops, however for small to medium sized shops it is not feasible because of the high price, and because of the time involved in training and maintenance.

Sadly, the elusive cad based software that is flexible, simple to learn, and within the budgets of small to medium sized shops does not exist yet. If someone were to build a program with sketchup as a platform, and offer a complete modifiable library of dynamic cabinets, as well as integration and support for cnc, all at a reasonable price, you would have my interest.' END QUOTE (Link: http://www.woodweb.com/forum_fdse_files/cad/661097.html)

I find myself searching every 6 months for the 'elusive program that doesn't yet exist', viewing Sketchup Utube videos and others, but always come to this same conclusion. And yet Turbocad is 80% there in my opinion, if only IMSI Design would recognise this and fill the gap for furniture makers which is so much in demand, it would sell a lot of copies of Turbocad and plug-in if they got it right!

Alan.

Alan.
Platinum 21. & Deluxe 21.
TC user since 1995. (version 3)

May 28, 2011, 03:06:00 PM
AFAIK Microvelum has been the market leader for woodwork industry for design-manufacture, an Autocad based product. Some use Solidworks, but afaik isn't particularly geared for woodworking. However, have just come across Top Solid which looks more promising. Expect it to be expensive though, so expect there remains an opportunity for a TC plugin to fill a gap.

Alan.
Platinum 21. & Deluxe 21.
TC user since 1995. (version 3)

* September 23, 2011, 03:56:34 PM
I got an offer this year from the folks at Planit Solutions, developers of Cabinet Vision Solid, its was high, 1,000.00 for the upgrade, on small payments 4 of them, the two las ones they cut them in half, about 140.00 per month, is a very nice software, the learning curve is so, so.. depending on the view angle that we stand.
They have 3 major training videos , UCS (User created standars), MAking intelligent parts, Intellijoints...they also have on site training,  (pricy)but it is a find software , cut lists , panel optimization, cnc, and many other features that perhaps, I won't use in the near future, TC is wonderful as a challange, Don Cheke tutorials helped a lot, but as far as cutt list, biding you can not go wrong wit Solid, talk to them make them an offer, I live in Mexico ( No wonder my spelling), yteh economy is bad here to, we have a saying here , "When the USA gets a cold, we get neumonia" so imagine the consecuences, still we made a deal, I am going to honor it to the last cent, I wish you were in Arizona I could help you with the software no charge, would be more than glad, I am so greatfull, to so many people here at the forum , helping each other for nothing but friendship,   please emial me if you have any doubts...one more excuse my spelling, but I do speak spanish 98 % of the time, and English with my two boys, God Bless and have a great weekend, by the way , I got an offer from TC with F maker, and other stuff , Im thinking about it $$$$ jajaj