TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

edges of a solid model to be a different color than the solid model
Read 6359 times
April 10, 2011, 05:45:11 AM
Just wondered if there is a way to set the edges of a solid model to be a different color than the solid model itself.

In particular, I'd like the model to be green, but the edges to be black.

Can this be done in TC18?

Thanks,

Mike...

April 10, 2011, 07:02:05 AM
I believe you can use facet edit to change the color/material of individual facets

"Be who you are and say what you feel.. because those who mind do not matter, and those who matter do not mind"

* April 10, 2011, 07:20:15 AM
Hi Mike
I would say yes probably any version the screenshot below done in 9.2 I wouldn't doubt it could be done 18 since it a advance version.Its good see ya stop in  :)

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* April 10, 2011, 11:52:52 AM
Just wondered if there is a way to set the edges of a solid model to be a different color than the solid model itself.

In particular, I'd like the model to be green, but the edges to be black.

Can this be done in TC18?

Thanks,

Mike...

Easy. Assign a black Pen color and a green Material. In View>Camera>Properties>Rendering, check the "Renderable objects" and "Suppress Hidden Line" boxes and render in a Quality mode or Draft>Smooth OpenGL.

Henry H

April 11, 2011, 03:15:39 PM
Henry,

I tried that, but I run into material problems when I start doing the 3D Boolean operations.

So instead of using materials, I am just changing the pen color. Then by using the "View>Camera>Properties>Rendering, check the "Renderable objects" and "Suppress Hidden Line" boxes and render in a Quality mode or Draft>Smooth OpenGL" I end up with an edge color that is sufficient to see the edges in shaded mode.

Thanks for that tip!

Mike...

April 12, 2011, 03:52:47 PM
Hi Mike
I would say yes probably any version the screenshot below done in 9.2 I wouldn't doubt it could be done 18 since it a advance version.Its good see ya stop in  :)

WD,

How are you doing that, with a material like Henry suggested?

Mike...

* April 12, 2011, 06:06:00 PM
The attach pdf. may offer some help. I wanted to use a feature that was in the newer versions of TC which is called X-ray. I used this in AutoCAD which gives a transparent look .Which could be substituted with a glass material. I do this in assemblages to show internal machine parts i.e. gears, bushings etc. So I wanted recreate the appearance in ver.9.2 to see if I could pull it off which is pretty close as you can see. Now to get the hidden lines that Henry's describes is the same process. I do the way that he mentions it in ver. 9.2 it has similar in dialog as in newer versions.

To get the orange lines (Pen Color) the object is in wire frame orange in color. In the attach dialog is the settings is how I got the lines to appear. In other dialogs are the settings for material. I didn’t use the Draft Mode as indicated. If you have 9.2 installed the enclosed tcw. file is available for download so can check out .If you have 11.2 it should work as well. The 11.2 screen shot is included also in that version for verification. And I bet a hole in a donuts it will open in version 18.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:09:43 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

April 13, 2011, 04:05:40 PM
Hi WD,

It works good. It even handles material changes without a problem.

All the dialogs are very similar, and all the required fields are there.  :)

Thanks,

Mike...

P.S. Attached, picture 2 is before the boolean add, picture 3 is after...

* April 13, 2011, 04:53:04 PM
Great glad it work out.I see it even open in 18. The added object shows the transparency pretty well. Henry a few months back had to refresh me on the settings in 11.2.What I did is over look the Edit Style Button.I’m looking into V14 Platinum.It has good reviews base on my research in the forum.I see that 18 don’t have the Show Hide Work Plane tool.This is must have tool.

Well stop in more often. Love to sees some your new models in teardrops design.
W.D.

Edit: Thought comes to mind if you have a teardrop already model up ad the material to it you be able look inside at all its furnishings. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:03:38 PM by wd »

April 13, 2011, 05:02:18 PM
This show/hide workplane? It's on the workplane toolbar, just like v11.  ;)

Mike...

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:12:52 PM by mikeschn »

* April 13, 2011, 05:15:55 PM
They must of fix it or it was'nt in the trial version at my end.There was some issue with Workspace.Could of hiccup a file during the transfer.

EDIT: Look over this link. This is where I was made aware of the regarding Workplane.

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,5910.0.html

In Henry's gif its not shown either.   Workplane Tools in v18-0.gif
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:43:38 PM by wd »

* April 13, 2011, 11:04:47 PM
re: "Show / Hide Workplane"

In the new "Default" Workspace, they did away with the Workspace menu. What used to be at "Workspace / Display Workplane" appears to be "unassigned". All the other tools from the Workspace menu have been scattered here and there under cryptic names. The tools at "Workspace / Workplane" ended up being called "Tools / New UCS". I guess this will make sense to the hundreds(thousands?) of AutoCAD users flocking to TurboCAD, but not to a small handful of TC users. Whatever happened to DoubleCAD? "Show/Hide Workplane" can be found in the Workplane flyout on the "Standard" toolbar and on the "PopUp-3" toolbar when you activate the Local Menu. Also the standalone Workplane toolbar, but only in the Themes' UI. People using the Standard UI don't rate a Workplane toolbar, so they don't get one.

I finally found "Show / Hide Workplane" (after 30 minutes of searching) at "View / Display / UCS / Display Workplane". What was an item on the main menu has been relegated to a Siberian sub-menu. I wonder when the word "Workplane" will be stricken from the program.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* April 14, 2011, 03:15:33 AM

This seems to be a real snafu.This is a must have tool when comes to be a able to identified a variety of work planes for difference surfaces of object to be manage via the Design Director.But it shows in Mike's version that's it's available.So if I wanted to create my own configuration it won't a have the capabilities to show a presents in toolbar.Is this something that will be corrected in the next update? nix that i should know better.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:43:59 AM by wd »

April 14, 2011, 08:44:01 AM
I wasn't aware that was a bug. I downloaded my trial of TC18 just 3 days ago, so it appears they fixed the bug.

I don't see an upgrade available, so would a registered user download the latest trial and activate that?

Mike...

* April 14, 2011, 10:14:39 AM
I wasn't aware that was a bug. I downloaded my trial of TC18 just 3 days ago, so it appears they fixed the bug. I don't see an upgrade available, so would a registered user download the latest trial and activate that? Mike...
I guess you got lucky on that. Most end users  are  not aware of it is my guess.Probably but it wouldn't hurt to uninstall the original and do new the installation.But they might make the change when the update comes out.Its no big deal as long as it get fixed.IMO it best to wait for 18.2 to come out by than the program should be ready. Before v.19 release. :)

April 14, 2011, 10:18:16 AM
Meandering about in this thread, do you know if the TCC addon is ready for v18?

Mike...

* April 14, 2011, 11:06:12 AM
Meandering about in this thread, do you know if the TCC addon is ready for v18? Mike...
No. I don't when that will come out or will it have any new features.My take on is that it will be the same as earlier versions.Seems the VisualMILL 6.0 CAM is the new kid on the block.

* April 14, 2011, 01:53:58 PM

The command should be available; Category: Workspace, Command: Display Workplane. This is where it's always been. It's never been with the other "Workplane" tools.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

April 14, 2011, 03:05:40 PM
I never realized that John... but then again, I never had to build a custom workplane toolbar!!!  ::)

It's kinda like the orient view by UCS plan... which is either on a right click popup or view>3dviews>plan>by workplane  ???

Mike...

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:09:55 PM by mikeschn »

* April 14, 2011, 11:01:17 PM
Mike
What I discover is that nether Show/Hide Workplane is visible in attach 9.2 or 11.2 just for your own reference.

For newer versions: Show/Hide WorkPlane Icon
Its simple process to fix, Drag the Work plane Toolbar out in to Modelspace. Select Customize| Commands|Workspace,.In the Command column select Display Workplane icon drag and load it to the Workplane Tool Bar than place toolbar back where had  been originally and your done, Now save it Options Tab as a new configuration .Took about 2 minutes to fix.

Thanks John for locating it. I must passed it to fast to notice.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:41:35 PM by wd »

* April 15, 2011, 11:41:59 PM
re: What I discover is that Show/Hide Workplane is visible in nether 9.2 or 11.2.

I assumed we were talking about V18, Themes' UI. In the Standard UI for V18 and also for Version 11 or 9, go to the [All Commands] category and look for "WorkspaceShowWorkPlane". I rarely look at the other categories, as they don't contain all the available icons.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* April 16, 2011, 07:25:23 AM

re: What I discover is that Show/Hide Workplane is visible in nether 9.2 or 11.2.
I assumed we were talking about V18, Themes' UI. In the Standard UI for V18 and also for Version 11 or 9, go to the [All Commands] category and look for "WorkspaceShowWorkPlane". I rarely look at the other categories, as they don't contain all the available icons.
Thanks for clearing that up I never notice the Icon below there and is able to be drag out from its location for the toolbar good thing you have v 9 loaded, I notice when rendering at my end it process faster is some the reasons I like the older versions,I still use 11.2 for the Cam and Animation feature.

August 15, 2016, 12:52:01 AM
Okay, so here I am again, 5 years later, reviewing a new version of TC. Originally I wanted to work on a colored model with black edges. But now with RedSDK, I find that I can work in any color, with matching colored edges. At work I work in a shaded mode with edges displayed, so I'd like to do something similar at home.

So my question is, do you guys work in draft mode, with renderable & non-renderable edges turned on? Or do you work in wireframe? And does RedSDK give you the option to use black edges, without applying a material, or do you just go with the default matching colored edges?

Mike...

* August 15, 2016, 11:48:51 AM
Re - do you guys work in draft mode, with renderable & non-renderable edges turned on?

Personally I work in wireframe as its much faster then staying in draft, and I find working in draft with renderable & non-renderable edges turned on a bit distracting.

Re - And does RedSDK give you the option to use black edges, without applying a material, or do you just go with the default matching colored edges?

Yes - well - sort of, like many things in RedSDK there are both good and bad points,  some people without the lightworks plug-in use Native draw = GDI mode, which although I'd like to use it, it limits what can be done in draft render like coloured edges, and doesn't support materials, it uses openGL as its engine.

In Native draw = RedSDK mode, one can have a coloured object (pen colour), a different colour for the outline, and another different colour for the 'hidden line' parts, all in draft mode, however although that sounds good - now for the bad side, with RedSDK one has to have 'draw form building edges' turned on (no choice), which looks terrible, so one uses degenerative faceting to make it look better (even though Degen is a terrible mode compared to GDI - except when dealing with snapping to the centre of a circular face), the problem with all this is Tangent lines (no idea what they are actually called so I call them tangent), and I don't know any way to get rid of them but they spoil the look. The line colours and hidden colours are global so every object irrespective of pen (object) colour will inherit the same colours (there is a minor variation but I won't confuse things with that now).

NOTE - things change again if one uses a material (but you asked about draft :) ).

* August 20, 2016, 10:26:47 PM

Just wondering if I could apply the same technique to objects in the prototypes I've developed, where the rendered display drills down through multiple objects?

Thanks

Darryl

Daz
TCW V21, 2016-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5, TurboPDF V2-V3 & LightWorks Rendering Engine mostly.

August 22, 2016, 11:58:38 PM
So my question is, do you guys work in draft mode, with renderable & non-renderable edges turned on? Or do you work in wireframe? And does RedSDK give you the option to use black edges, without applying a material, or do you just go with the default matching colored edges?

I generally work in Hidden Line mode, with either the Hidden Line or Redsdk Hidden Line Rendering Type selected.  Nonrenderable objects is ON or OFF as needed.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1