TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

'Velux' windows in roof
Read 3105 times
* April 05, 2011, 08:40:39 AM
I'm pretty sure I can guess the answer to this question, but here goes. Is it possible to use the window tool to insert 'velux' style windows into a roof object? I.e. a window that fits in flush with the plane of the roof. If not, would there be a recommended way of achieving the same?

April 05, 2011, 10:27:03 AM
The easiest way i can think of is to go to the google 3d warehouse and download one :)

* April 05, 2011, 11:02:02 AM
I'm pretty sure I can guess the answer to this question, but here goes. Is it possible to use the window tool to insert 'velux' style windows into a roof object? I.e. a window that fits in flush with the plane of the roof. If not, would there be a recommended way of achieving the same?

I don't think the Window tool will work, but the Opening tool will. Once you've found or created a suitable 3D model of the window, format it as a Block. Activate the Opening tool, specify that Block in the Opening's Properties dialog, and click "Anchor to Roof." You may need to adjust the Elevation parameter before inserting (or the Height parameter after inserting) to make it flush.

Henry H

* April 05, 2011, 12:22:02 PM
I see Henry has answered this, but here's my additional two cents on it. If using windows that aren't rectangular, you need to add a "Opening Modifier" polyline in the Block and specify it with the "Opening Modifier" tool while editing the Block. There are windows where I used a modifier and windows where I didn't in the TCW file.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

April 05, 2011, 02:28:24 PM
Well don John & Henry

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* April 05, 2011, 05:22:35 PM
Hi, if you create a 2d/3d block insertion using a custom window style and or profile as described above for starters make sure you create the 2d block in world plan view and the 3d in isometric view. The block will contain the workplane location  from where it was created. You will understand this when you go and insert the opening. The picture below describes what Henry is saying. The window/skylite  has a frame depth of 6", the roof has a thickness of 6" so I set the opening elevation of the 2d/3d block insertion at -6" along with anchor to roof and it is seen as flush with the roof. If you do not want a molding profile on the skylite and or a custom window stlye is not what you are looking for I would create your own 3d entiy then use the 2d/3d block insertion method.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 05:26:41 PM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* April 06, 2011, 12:53:05 AM
There's some 'tricky' stuff in these solutions, i.e. stuff that I've failed to get working as I would expect in the past, but I'll hopefully have time in the next day or two to give it a shot.

Thanks for the responses - at least I know that it is possible, and shouldn't be too hard.

* April 06, 2011, 03:32:34 AM
Just my 2 cents (Euro).  a number of years ago I asked the same queston qnd Henry gave me the answer.  The same as put here.  I had made some 'velux' windows as 3D symbols in all the standard sizes they produce.  Now I just choose whichever size I need, explode it so it is no longer a symbol, put it vertical to the ground plane (important otherwise your window will not be in the same plane as the roof), select it and make object.  The object disappears and reappears in the objects palette.  Then insert it as a 3D opening attatched to the roof assuming you used the roof tool to make the roof.  Adjust the height, plus or minus to jet it flush.

User since TC3 in France
Saint Helier, capital of Jersey
Monk in the 4th century AD