TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

TCCAM for v8 and v12.5
Read 7165 times
* March 30, 2011, 03:38:33 PM
I have TurboCadCam that is used with v8.2 and I just got it out of the garage and dusted it off and installed it.  It is used with TC v8.2 but now I have v12.5 and I'm sure it won't work with it or drawings that I've created.  Is there a TurboCadCam for v12.5?  I can't believe what I paid for it in 2002.  I'll bet that if I had another cam product I could import my drawings via .dfx or .dwg.  Am I correct?  I got it out so I could brush up on my cnc skills for a job hunt.  Any thoughts?

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
1 GB Hard Drive 16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* March 31, 2011, 06:33:00 AM
Re:"It is used with TC v8.2 but now I have v12.5 and I'm sure it won't work with it or drawings that I've created". It probably have issues

Re:"I can't believe what I paid for it in 2002." The suspense is over whelming do tell!

Re:"I'll bet that if I had another cam product I could import my drawings via .dfx or .dwg.  Am I correct? "Absolutely

Re:"I got it out so I could brush up on my cnc skills for a job hunt.  Any thoughts?" perhaps take classes at your local Vocational Technical School or and explore online classes there are some available.Go to work and get the employer to pick up the tab

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 06:38:30 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

March 31, 2011, 07:26:30 AM

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* March 31, 2011, 09:21:58 AM
Go to work and get the employer to pick up the tab

That'll be the day.  They always want someone who HAS already the experience. 

Try this book CNC Programming Handbook, Third Edition

About twenty years I took all the cnc programming classes available and I worked on an Acroloc with Fanuc 6M controls and I did MDI for milling, drilling, tapping, etc and I loved it and I would think that would have been a plus but nooooo.  I didn't run a Mazak but then when I did run a Mazak I couldn't figure out what the big deal was...it's just another machine.  Employers are fickled, if you know what I mean.  Anyway, so much for my problems.  I applied for a job about 55 miles out of town that has exactly all the machines that I have run and maybe I get aanother chance.

Thanks for the moral support,

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* March 31, 2011, 10:21:22 AM
RE:Employers are fickled, if you know what I mean.I could agree with you more that its ridiculous most can even program themselves.If you have good manual machining  background and understand drawings well.The rest is cake.It takes about 3months to 6months and depends on the shop your in and the work that they do to get acclimated.I base on that observings others that are green.

It took me one week to learn the software 10 hours a day with the cnc lathe.I was lucky the owner gave free liberty with the machine and the software. The reason for that he new I could handle it I guess.I basically self taught my self with little aid from the machine maker's Application engineer and the machine's manuals.

To speed things up I took the company laptop & drawings and program in coffee shops, library and uploaded via net directly to the machine the next day I was one step ahead of the game.I had actually a phone line connected to the machine.This was pretty universal machine in a lot ways with software and capabilities similar to Romi Flat bed lathe

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

* March 31, 2011, 10:52:41 AM
You're lucky you had that opportunity and took advantage of it.

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* March 31, 2011, 03:27:47 PM
The trade has fallen to the way side to what I have seen and read .Most employers don't pay the money either they want first class skills and pay third class wages.Wait to you run into employers who want college degree to work in the shop which is overkill IMO.

A lot the younger generation don't want to bother it with and the senior trade man encourage not get into.Some companies are having trouble finding the skilled help.If search in job boards and there forums you'll see these elements.And others will mention that things are boom in.It depends on the demographics also.I'm getting job offers from Texas but not a place where I want go.

* March 31, 2011, 05:12:10 PM
Amen.

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* April 06, 2011, 11:32:28 PM
I went to AERODEF in Anaheim CA today and I took a postcard Mastercam sent me and they awarded me a certificate that entitles me to a free course at Mastercam University which amounts to about 50 hours of online instruction in Mastercam.  I'll try to make the best of and it'll look good on my resume.

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

April 07, 2011, 02:56:05 AM
I went to AERODEF in Anaheim CA today and I took a postcard Mastercam sent me and they awarded me a certificate that entitles me to a free course at Mastercam University which amounts to about 50 hours of online instruction in Mastercam.  I'll try to make the best of and it'll look good on my resume.

John B.

Good luck :-)

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* April 08, 2011, 12:07:53 PM
Thanks.  While I was at AereDef I also ran into the Mazak people and they directed me to the training center on their website and from there I signed up for a milling center course and a turning center course.  They are four days each, in May and June and I think they are free.  Now comes the problem:  I start work Monday in a dumpy machine shop to run a horizontal boring mill that looks like it hasn't been run in years.  That's ok, I ran a HBM about thirty years ago so I shouldn't have any problems.  
When it rains it pours.

John B.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:41:01 PM by John B. »

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* April 11, 2011, 02:09:37 PM
Your lucky.In my demographics you have to switch another occupation.Or jump the river into another state and hump it another 10 to 20 miles of travel time. One good thing I'm not sitting on the fault line.Hopefully the boring mill has a digital read out and the rapid traverse works.Use to set up one with 4"spindle. Lucas was the machine maker.Made struts that where weldments that had three piece construction heavy pieces and to had jockey them around with a bridge crane and the forklift,That's when I was a young buck jumping around like kangaroo .Now prefer make things that I can hold in my hand.

W.D.

P.S. Hung Plainner Mill for ya
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:19:39 PM by wd »

* April 11, 2011, 05:02:01 PM
Well, as luck would have it, Sunday night after I loaded my roll-away and machinist toolbox into my car and sat down to watch the Lakers, I got a couple of phone calls from cnc shops asking me to come to work and one promised me more money, shorter hours to make fixtures for the cnc parts while I was using the manual machines so I called and left a message to the HBM job saying that I wouldn't be in because I had gotten a better offer and besides I haven't run a HBM in 36 years anyway.  I hope that job offer turns out to more that just another interview.  I've gotten myself into a mess.

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* April 11, 2011, 08:10:12 PM
Sound like a toolmakers job I'll bet you'll love it.As for the boring mill and not running one in years its no big deal it just horizontal spindle&larger parts. I actually hated it and long boring cuts everything is big and dirty and giant sizes tool cutters climbing on table bolting everything down.I take a Bridgeport knee mill any day.If you get chance to work with a Mazak Integrex you won't want to run anything else. Awesome machine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSMFlg0dZzw&feature=related
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:39:09 AM by wd »

* April 11, 2011, 11:25:07 PM
long boring cuts everything is big and dirty and giant sizes tool cutters climbing on table bolting everything down

There is a lot of unglamorous things about it that's for sure but I wonder if I'm dodging a challenge but they're just moving into a new building and don't even have the lights on.  The place just didn't get me excited.

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* April 12, 2011, 03:54:59 AM
Was wondering if you ever consider looking into a model maker position,The diversity in work assignments offer more of a challenge and allow you to use your own creativity. 

* April 12, 2011, 07:10:33 AM
Was wondering if you ever consider looking into a model maker position,The diversity in work assignments offer more of a challenge and allow you to use your own creativity. 

Yes, I have and will.

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* May 14, 2011, 10:25:00 PM
Update:  Well, I'm still working, in a cnc shop doing conventional mill and lathe and I've decided not to take the Mazak classes because they're were about Mazak programming and we don't have any.  It would have looked good on my resume if I were still out of work.  I need to get back to my edger drawings that I'm nearly finished with.  I need both left hand and right hand endmills.  I'm making more at 32 hours than at 40 hours with the HBM.  Excited about my new digital protractor from eBay.

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series