TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Workplane wondering
Read 5743 times
* March 13, 2011, 06:07:20 AM
Hello:
I created the attached file using polylines and extrusions, in the se isometric view.
When I change to every other camera view, the object fragments.
I've tried selecting the object and Format/Place on Workplane.
But nothing...
I also get the "Editing the selected 2D object in 3D mode... warning - How is this a 2D object?

* March 13, 2011, 07:34:38 AM
All or some of your pieces are off the grid line and out in space.The end pieces one is 2-1/2 the other is 2-3/8.Middle piece its heights and depths are not proper fits.Enclosed is dwg.file on my changes but the middle piece needs fixing for its heights & depths or the end pieces should be the same height as the middle piece so everything is flush in heights.Unless you prefer your dimensions?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 06:09:22 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* March 13, 2011, 07:52:15 AM
That's what I ment to say. I can't see how it happened. The individual heights and widths are correct, just can't see what I did or didn't do?
Opened your .dwg in both autocad and turbocad 15 deluxe, and are totally viewable as I intended.
I just can't see what I did or didn't do, to louse up the workplanes...
ken

* March 13, 2011, 08:06:04 AM
That's what I ment to say. I can't see how it happened. The individual heights and widths are correct, just can't see what I did or didn't do?
Opened your .dwg in both autocad and turbocad 15 deluxe, and are totally viewable as I intended.
I just can't see what I did or didn't do, to louse up the workplanes...
ken
If you hit Place on Work Plane would be my guess why every thing is all over the place.Also it wouldn't hurt to put everything on layers including 2d profiles. It helps control objects so they can be turn off and on at will to work on individual parts.All the objects are misaligned.Its best to create in the (World Plan Ctrl-W).I'm wondering did you build this in ISO view?

W.D.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:52:22 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

* March 13, 2011, 08:27:29 AM
In Deluxe, I probably would've worked this all out on the World WP, extruded, then rotated just the 3D objects into place.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* March 13, 2011, 08:11:48 PM
quote I just can't see what I did or didn't do to louse up the workplanes,,,
I did hit Place in Work Plane, but only after discovering the scattered objects in other views.
I just finished trying the task in World Plan, and although it's closer to goal, things are still scattered.
All my attempts have been in ISO view. Mainly because the extrusions end up heading in the wrong direction.

I'll try your layering technique.

* March 13, 2011, 08:52:45 PM
Ken

Place on Work Plane puts 2d objects on the current work plane.

Tip: If want to retain your work plane that can be done in the Design Director.Or hit (W) on the keyboard and set it there.

As suggestion might get a better understanding about workplanes with Don Chekes tutorial on workplanes.Although it in v17 it should be applicable with your version I haven 't seen any real drastic changes from earlier versions to present versions.But email him and ask if its compatible with your version to be sure.

http://www.textualcreations.ca/Textual%20Creations%20Shopping%20Page.html#Workplanes_v17_Tutorial

Also I created some layers in the dwg.file if that helps.Also an additional image attach.

W.D.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:36:28 AM by wd »

* March 13, 2011, 09:49:51 PM
Why do you want to work only in isometric?  You've got an infinite choice of viewpoints, it's a disadvantage to not use them if you're unfamiliar with TC's behaviour.  If your extrusions are "heading in the wrong direction", put a + or - before the number in the inspector bar's z coordinate box.

* March 14, 2011, 07:39:41 PM
Why do you want to work only in isometric?  You've got an infinite choice of viewpoints, it's a disadvantage to not use them if you're unfamiliar with TC's behaviour.  If your extrusions are "heading in the wrong direction", put a + or - before the number in the inspector bar's z coordinate box.
Purhaps I haven't made myself clear enough, I'm just trying to draw a chunk of 2x4 in 3D and view it from every angle, without it moving out of its original (coordinate/s) place. Why should it move if I'm not telling it to?
By "heading in the wrong direction", I mean that so far I can only see two direction possibilities in any view. I understand the +/- feature. I get that.
The only way I see how to draw this 2x4 laying flat, not on edge is to start in "any" but only isometric view.
I have tried other than isometric views as the starting point but the 2x4 is on edge.

* March 14, 2011, 07:48:42 PM
Place on Work Plane puts 2d objects on the current work plane.

Tip: If want to retain your work plane that can be done in the Design Director.Or hit (W) on the keyboard and set it there.

As suggestion might get a better understanding about workplanes with Don Chekes tutorial on workplanes.Although it in v17 it should be applicable with your version I haven 't seen any real drastic changes from earlier versions to present versions.But email him and ask if its compatible with your version to be sure.

http://www.textualcreations.ca/Textual%20Creations%20Shopping%20Page.html#Workplanes_v17_Tutorial

Also I created some layers in the dwg.file if that helps.Also an additional image attach.

W.D.

Design Director is in Pro Version only. Thanks again for the images, they are both right on. I'll contemplate what your suggesting, and see if I can find something in this deluxe version. Maybe they should have called it "Partial" version instead.
Ken

* March 14, 2011, 07:52:24 PM

Purhaps I haven't made myself clear enough, I'm just trying to draw a chunk of 2x4 in 3D and view it from every angle, without it moving out of its original (coordinate/s) place.

Go to View>Walk Through>Examine. Press and hold the left mouse button and drag the cursor.

Alternatively, in most installations (not all), you can simply press and hold the mouse wheel while dragging.

Henry H

* March 14, 2011, 09:43:51 PM
I think what you did was to try to create the pieces of your project in "mid-air" while in the isometric view. This is how you might go about things in SketchUp, and with practice it might work in Turbocad. But what you have to realize is that before you draw your next set of profiles to extrude, you have to set your new workplane. Otherwise, the lines you tack down will actually be writing on your prior workplane, even if from your isometric perspective they seem to be writing on a different workplane.

The other thing is, that if you're drawing from an isometric view, that two points may seem to be close to each other, and even be on the same plane, but still be far apart. Which is why its helpful to be facing the workplane on which you are drawing. That way you're not deceived by the distorted perspective. You can set your view to match your work plane by View/Camera/Plan/By Workplane. There may be a better way to match the two up, but that's the one I know  :)  . Doing all your work on the World workplane and then extruding components into the z dimension would be another.

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* March 15, 2011, 04:07:03 AM
You can set your view to match your work plane by View/Camera/Plan/By Workplane. There may be a better way to match the two up, but that's the one I know    . Doing all your work on the World workplane and then extruding components into the z dimension would be another.
Mark

Ok! so I have the first object drawn and extruded...into the Z plan. It's sitting on edge on the workplane, (so I'll ignore that for now).
So, to draw another object, ( how do I set the next workplane, so it will end up where I want it)? [Appearing as though the two widest faces, (the first of which  currently appears to be perpendicular to the workplane), are on the same real world plane]
Ken
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:15:24 AM by ken »

* March 15, 2011, 07:21:36 AM
Ken

I agree it Partial" version  is acceptable term.May want explore in Pro or Platinum 16 ,17 is available at reduce cost.But didn't think Deluxe was that bad not to have at least a  Design Director,that's common and necessary accessory in similar cad apps.There is usually some kind of auxiliary window frame to do changes. I guess it safe to assume it has no Palette? Wow!! that's disappointing,

W.D.

* March 15, 2011, 09:12:45 AM
Ok! so I have the first object drawn and extruded...into the Z plan. It's sitting on edge on the workplane, (so I'll ignore that for now).
So, to draw another object, ( how do I set the next workplane, so it will end up where I want it)? [Appearing as though the two widest faces, (the first of which  currently appears to be perpendicular to the workplane), are on the same real world plane]
Ken
If the next object you wish to extrude will be perpendicular to your existing extruded object then you will want to make one of the extruded sides your new plane. Right? The easiest way to do that is to use the "Workplane by Facet" tool. Activate it, and then click on the side of your object -- it will highlight a deep thick lined green to show which facet is now the workplane.

Now you can start drawing on the new workplane. Don't go too far though. Click and hold the mouse wheel down and move around a bit to make sure that you are drawing on the plane you intend. The reason I say this is that there is what I consider to be a bug in deluxe where some of the  sides of simple 3D objects are "virtual" -- the workplane will snap back to the side it considers "real" when you try to use some 2D tools. Tools like construction line won't stick to the virtual side until you've defined it with something other than the "By facet" tool. Hopefully you won't encounter this.

The workaround is to specify the workplane, draw lines along the edges of the existing objects, and then specify the WP again   using the lines you just drew.

Hope this wasn't too confusing ;)

TCW Pro 14.2

* March 15, 2011, 09:20:18 AM
Ken

I agree it Partial" version  is acceptable term.May want explore in Pro or Platinum 16 ,17 is available at reduce cost.But didn't think Deluxe was that bad not to have at least a  Design Director,that's common and necessary accessory in similar cad apps.There is usually some kind of auxiliary window frame to do changes. I guess it safe to assume it has no Palette? Wow!! that's disappointing,

W.D.
Design director is in Deluxe, though I don't know if it does the same things as it does in Pro. Maybe ken hasn't discovered it yet.  You can use it, for instance, to view and create your workplane sets. I'm not sure if it keeps the wp's from session to session unless you save them to a file though. Some of the features, like layers, requires you to save them from the director (but not from the layer manager).

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* March 15, 2011, 09:41:47 AM
Thanks Mark for clearing this up I'm under the impression it didn't have this feature although I installed layers on the dwg. file it could be open Autocad & TC to view the layers in the menu.

W.D.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:24:20 AM by wd »

* March 15, 2011, 02:42:30 PM
I opened the TurboCAD Help Files from the help menu, entered Design Director in the index line, And the first sentence under the topic says, "Available in TurboCAD Pro only"

It shows Menu: View/Design Director.
   It's not there. Several palettes tho

The help file also shows Hotkey: F3
   Nothing happens

A right click in the toolbar space to bring up the Customize feature doesn't show Design Director anywhere there.
I've done some looking for the icons show in Help, back don't see any that way either.

As for the Workplane by Facet, I just gave it a look see and will need to study that a bit more. I'm not really sure if the next workplane is to be perp or parallel? My head's spinning a bit yet still... never would have made a good pilot either.
Ken

Thanks
So if it's there I don't know where.

* March 15, 2011, 08:18:54 PM
Hi Ken,

Unfortunately the TC documentation often lags behind the actual product. Fortunately, this usually means that you have more powers with Deluxe than the manual suggests.

The design director is usually activated from a tab on the right hand side of your TC desktop. Some of those panels are a bit "in-your-face" when you're just learning, and its possible that you Xed them out to clear up real-estate. In the long run, you'll probably want them set to open only when you activate them.

To activate the Design Director:

Hover over the toolbar area and do a right click.  The "Customize" dialog will pop up. Inside the dialog click on the "Palettes" tab.  From the list of palettes select "Design Director". The DD should appear in the background.

HTH
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* March 16, 2011, 03:59:04 AM
Thanks Mark Greatly appreciate this....

* March 16, 2011, 04:08:29 AM
I spoke to soon Mark, its not there in mine
TurboCAD 15.2 Build 48.3

March 16, 2011, 06:18:23 AM
De
I spoke to soon Mark, its not there in mine
TurboCAD 15.2 Build 48.3

Design Director in Deluxe only appeared when V16 came to market.

* March 16, 2011, 09:03:07 AM

Thanks for the background info, Don!

I'm assuming that you could still use "W" or Workspace / Workplane / Named to save a workplane in versions before 16? I've found the Design Director to be only slightly more useful in Deluxe than using the other menus/palettes and in the case of layers, sometimes the results were more predictable using layer "sets" rather than the DD's "templates".

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

March 16, 2011, 09:20:41 AM

Thanks for the background info, Don!

I'm assuming that you could still use "W" or Workspace / Workplane / Named to save a workplane in versions before 16? I've found the Design Director to be only slightly more useful in Deluxe than using the other menus/palettes and in the case of layers, sometimes the results were more predictable using layer "sets" rather than the DD's "templates".

Mark

Yes. Another easy way to save named views or named workplanes is to right mouse click over any standard view icon or a good number of workplane tool icons to open the saved name dialogues. Very quick, especially if your desktop configuration has these two toolbars visible at all times.

* March 18, 2011, 04:28:15 PM
All or some of your pieces are off the grid line and out in space.The end pieces one is 2-1/2 the other is 2-3/8.Middle piece its heights and depths are not proper fits.Enclosed is dwg.file on my changes but the middle piece needs fixing for its heights & depths or the end pieces should be the same height as the middle piece so everything is flush in heights.Unless you prefer your dimensions?
WD - Can you tell me how you started layer 1 in SE Iso - Sleigh Body Bottom Frame-wd.DWG
What view you started, what tool you used first, then extruded? right?, and most importantly - how did you locate the second object.
I'm just not catching this...
Ken