TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

TurboCAD v18
Read 20364 times
March 07, 2011, 07:37:44 PM
Here is a short movie showing off some of the new features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kJVoYtvLsM

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

March 08, 2011, 05:53:19 AM
ice new features here.....Great.....
One thing I am trying to work on is a Symbol library that doesn't suffer from side slab deformation.....the furniture maker plug-in is partway there but not quite......
I want to be able to have door sets that are located in one file that all the symbols refer to....so that when I add another door/drawer design I dont have to update all the symbols....something like an Xref but we cannot use Xref without side slab deformation.....i.e. if I change the width of a cabinet I want the stiles and rails to a 5 piece door to keep its dimensions.......
Daz....

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

March 08, 2011, 06:07:30 AM
Sorry forgot to mention why the reasoning.......I use Articad at work for our day-to-day designing of kitchens and bedrooms......one of the good things about this package is the speed of changing door styles to the cabinets.......
So I am wanting a quick way to do this in Turbocad......Xref's would be the way forward because they are not stored within the design file itself so the file wont bloat with all the graphics....
You may ask why don't I just use Articad?....well it has its problems, especially with its latest release/update which I wont go into here.....

Daz....

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels

* March 08, 2011, 08:03:51 AM
Yup its officially released via IMSI website.Hope see some more video

http://www.turbocad.com/Upgrade/WhatsNewinTurboCAD18/tabid/1858/Default.aspx

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

March 08, 2011, 08:43:01 AM
When was v17 officially released?

Carroll James Moore, Jr.
CJMJ
TC2016 Pro Platinum 64-bit + Animation Lab 5
Windows Surface Pro + Windows 10 Pro

March 08, 2011, 09:09:37 AM
Any chance of a full feature list of the V18 changes, improvements and additional tools etc?

Daz

Daz…

* March 08, 2011, 09:25:41 AM
When was v17 officially released?
My guess around the same time last year :) the copyright is in the About dialog frame

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

* March 08, 2011, 09:27:07 AM
Any specs on the memory requirements and the cards supported for the hidden line modes.

What I am curious about is how the system handels large files when in hidden line mode.  How much Vram is recommended, and what happen when the video ram is over-taxed?

Also, is the hidden line mode available in a viewport, or only in model space?

Should this type of question be placed in a new thread?

TC V21 Pro Platinum  Win 7 Professional

* March 08, 2011, 09:29:50 AM
Any chance of a full feature list of the V18 changes, improvements and additional tools etc?Daz

Well have to be patient until they to the make pdf.matrix. I don't see one yet.Just another for the other. :-\

* March 08, 2011, 09:32:07 AM
Should this type of question be placed in a new thread?
Nah it fits under General Discussions.Your fine ;D

* March 08, 2011, 10:25:40 AM
Has anyone seen a link to a demo version of the program yet.  I have only found links to purchase the product so far.

* March 08, 2011, 10:54:18 AM
re: When was v17 officially released?

I believe V17 came out Friday, March 19, 2010, or shortly thereafter.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* March 08, 2011, 11:34:39 AM
re: Has anyone seen a link to a demo version of the program yet.

See the Free Trials page; it has V18 Platinum and V18 Pro Basic.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

March 08, 2011, 11:50:55 AM
Ack! My Beloved V14.2 has passed into the Great Legacy Folder, might be time to move up . . .
Is it going to drive me crazy, or will I fall in love all over again.

Sure like the looks of that speed.

Also at over at cadcourse looks like I can upgrade my 14 to 15 then go up to 18, is that correct?

RMc____
In preparing for battle, planning is essential, but plans are useless . . . Dwight David Eisenhower
v 19.2 Pro Platinum 64 bit
v 14.2 Pro
Turbo Floor Plan Pro v 15
Windows 10 x 64 Home

* March 08, 2011, 11:57:28 AM
Thanks for the links guys

March 08, 2011, 03:25:27 PM
ice new features here.....Great.....
One thing I am trying to work on is a Symbol library that doesn't suffer from side slab deformation.....the furniture maker plug-in is partway there but not quite......
I want to be able to have door sets that are located in one file that all the symbols refer to....so that when I add another door/drawer design I dont have to update all the symbols....something like an Xref but we cannot use Xref without side slab deformation.....i.e. if I change the width of a cabinet I want the stiles and rails to a 5 piece door to keep its dimensions.......
Daz....
Darrel, they have known about how furniture makers need to use this program for years, but any address of our needs have been lacklustre version after version. I really think it might be time to move on. There are work arounds, but even Winston Mitchell found the constraints in Turbocad heavy going. How often does he post in the Turbocad forums any more? He was considered the guru of Turbocad except for Henry H perhaps. I must say I am becoming disenchanted and somewhat cheated having nailed my flag to a mast which has changed direction from the early days when I bought into a program which had at that time a functional and pretty effective Bill of Materials plug in. I am still stuck in version 10.5 and 11 to maintain that function, so very frustrated.

Alan.
Platinum 21. & Deluxe 21.
TC user since 1995. (version 3)

March 08, 2011, 03:41:36 PM
Alan, I agree with you to a point, but it is a bit of a General CAD program and I don't know, or really want to know, another CAD package that I have to learn how to use.
One day it will come if we demand it enough and they see the potential in winning over customers that want something that to Competition Cannot do...
 the day when we can lock stile, rail parameters and change the door design on our kitchen and Bedroom designs easily, which would be useful in other areas of design will come, hopefully in our life time!
 Daz

Daz…

* March 08, 2011, 06:30:47 PM
I followed the link to the free trial of TC Platinum this morning and filled out the form and it said it would send me a link immediately.

That was over 8 hours ago, I realize that I am probably a bit anxious to try V18 out, but it appears that my immediately and TC immediately are not exactly the same immediately.

I did try a second time a couple of hours ago, but still nothing.  Just curious if it is not working correctly, or what?  I will try again in the morning.  Just thought I would make this info available.

* March 08, 2011, 08:00:54 PM
This is my first post...I'm glad to see that TC finally upgraded their old forum to something modern.

Regarding the Bill of materials. I find TC 17 extremely lacking in any ability to manage parts easily.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it would sure me nice if you could tag a property for each part, set it's part number, then select the entire drawing and tell it to generate a parts list table.  Seems simple enough but I am unable to find anything that can do that...easily.

If anyone can direct me to a good tutorial on creating a bill of materials or cut list in 17.2, please do.

Another cool feature would be to explode, excuse me, disassemble, a model or portion thereof without having to trudge through the parametric parts creation (which I have yet to fully grasp). Highlight a section, define a center point then delta offset the related parts in all directions.

* March 08, 2011, 10:10:03 PM
I don't know exactly what it is you are trying to do, or more to the point what type of geometry you like to work with.

I do mostly architectural related tasks, and I have recently found some intersting uses for the section tool on the architectural toolbar.  In particular the 3D section tool.  It will take a section "cube" of the geometry and turn it into surfaces I believe.

It is a copy of the original, and so far it has worked for me using both solids and surfaces together, which I was kind of surprized to see.  I think this is a Platinum only feature, but not sure about that.

Never had any need to offset anything in that manner, so I have no idea about that.

March 08, 2011, 10:40:31 PM
Alan, I agree with you to a point, but it is a bit of a General CAD program and I don't know, or really want to know, another CAD package that I have to learn how to use.
One day it will come if we demand it enough and they see the potential in winning over customers that want something that to Competition Cannot do...
 the day when we can lock stile, rail parameters and change the door design on our kitchen and Bedroom designs easily, which would be useful in other areas of design will come, hopefully in our life time!
 Daz

Darrel, we have been waiting so many years now. You have more patience than I, far too big a proportion of my lifetime. I feel like I am stuck in the dark ages with some old features I can't let go of. Shouldn't be like this, no wonder one particular alternative program is increasing in popularity so much among furnituremakers because it does include this feature, shame I don't personally like it due to it being so unlike Turbocad in function. I feel like a grumpy old man, but I have been waiting far too long and I am thinking Imsi Design is little better than Imsi, which notoriously ignored its customers.

Alan.

March 09, 2011, 10:56:29 AM
V14.2 has passed into the Great Legacy Folder, might be time to move up . . .
Yup...I'm in the same boat

Take Care
Craig
Using TurboCAD v18.2; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz;<BR>Win 7 ProSp1; 6GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM; EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
DeviantArt Gallery @ http://crag-dolomite.deviantart.com/gallery
TurboCAD Animators @ http://www.vimeo.com/channelTCAnim

* March 09, 2011, 11:16:48 AM
V14.2 has passed into the Great Legacy Folder, might be time to move up . . .
Yup...I'm in the same boat
You guys gave me little chuckle I'm still working with vintage 11.2 and occasions 9.2. both of them work quite well except for the cam end of it.. They don't co-habituate to well and had to remove the cam plug in out of 9 so plug in 11 could function.The same occurrence happen on Xp when I had them side by side also . Indeed I'm past the prime version 18.But I'll wait for 18.2 come out.

March 09, 2011, 05:26:37 PM
I see you guys released V18 while I was away. I hope that everyone is finding it a pretty good release. I was very excited to see some of the new features and changes that were made. Here is a New Features image that I had created before I left on my holiday.

Can someone tell me what build number was released to the public?

March 10, 2011, 05:17:24 AM
Ruby scripting language, I missed that, now that could be a very worthwhile addition, never used it myself but know it is very capable. This could facilitate a whole lot of special operations designed by any clever programmers amongst us. I am therefore warming to the possibilities with some anticipation once this settles in after a few months. Ruby scripting is used by Sketchup, and there are some excellent scripts which have been written by Sketchup users. This could innitiate the turning point perhaps and bring back some of the users who we haven't heard from much for a few years?

Alan.

March 10, 2011, 07:05:09 AM
I'm excited about the addition of Ruby scripting too. I haven't done anything of substance with it yet but my initial testing went well. Although I haven’t tried any just yet, it’s supposed to be compatible with SketchUp Ruby scripts. As time permits, I look forward to experimenting more with this.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

March 10, 2011, 07:56:06 AM
I'm excited about the addition of Ruby scripting too. I haven't done anything of substance with it yet but my initial testing went well. Although I haven’t tried any just yet, it’s supposed to be compatible with SketchUp Ruby scripts. As time permits, I look forward to experimenting more with this.
Maybe a new computer and TC 18 will be on the buy list after all. I was beginning to think I would have to submit to the Sketchup brigade or some other system. With Ruby, there is hope for an effective bill of materials to be imported by Cutlistplus. Maybe Ruby is the new Genie?

Alan.

* March 10, 2011, 07:32:50 PM
The PDF IMPORT feature looks good but does is only work for PDFs of previously vectorized images from say a CAD program which I believe still retain the vector data OR can I scan an architectural drawing into a raster PDF  which through the scanning process only becomes a raster image and have the new PDF IMPORT feature actually do a raster to vector conversion.
Next question is is there a limit to the imported file sive as I have some 15mb scanned images I'd like to vectorise.
Cheers

March 10, 2011, 07:39:59 PM
The PDF IMPORT feature looks good but does is only work for PDFs of previously vectorized images from say a CAD program which I believe still retain the vector data OR can I scan an architectural drawing into a raster PDF  which through the scanning process only becomes a raster image and have the new PDF IMPORT feature actually do a raster to vector conversion.
Next question is is there a limit to the imported file sive as I have some 15mb scanned images I'd like to vectorise.
Cheers

You can use either raster or vector PDF as an underlay, but you can only use snaps on the latter.

I don't know the answer to your second question.

* March 10, 2011, 08:00:45 PM
Cheers

How do you do that?

Henry H

* March 10, 2011, 09:06:10 PM
TC makes svgs.  Aren't they vector graphics?  I've dallied with Inkscape, which imports svgs and makes pdfs itself (or not.  My memory is giving me mixed messages), and there's a pdf convertor that works from Firefox, which also plays svgs.  Would a pdf incorporating svgs be vectors?  If I'm remembering right, the svg curves I played with stayed smooth even when the .pdf's zoom's cranked right up.  But raster graphics are used in pdfs as well, so the pdf would've had to have been made with vectors in the first place.
I think the line width doesn't blow out with zoom increase if they are.

*edit* curious.  From the drafting and detailing part of TC.com's new stuff  "Boost productivity with the new ability to import a raster PDF drawing and use it as a tracing layer with snaps. (Pro and Platinum only)"

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:07:36 AM by murray dickinson »

March 10, 2011, 09:27:02 PM
The PDF IMPORT feature looks good but does is only work for PDFs of previously vectorized images from say a CAD program which I believe still retain the vector data OR can I scan an architectural drawing into a raster PDF  which through the scanning process only becomes a raster image and have the new PDF IMPORT feature actually do a raster to vector conversion.
Cheers

In order to use Snaps on a PDF Underlay you'll have to use PDFs that were created with vector graphics. You can still use a raster PDF Underlay and simply draw over it to approximate a drawing then fine tune your measurements.

As long as you have a good quality raster image, you can use the existing Trace tools in TurboCAD to convert a raster image to a vector drawing. You'll likely need to do some tweaking after the trace, but it can be a good place to start.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:37:59 PM by Brad Easterday »

BradE [ dean3Design ]

* March 10, 2011, 11:11:44 PM
From Cadcourse.com list of innovations :
Multi-threaded Boolean operations as well as rendering...
THIS is a welcomed improvement!

System requirements would be something nice to provide.

This will feel more like a 21st century CAD program.

Stephane Faucher

* March 11, 2011, 03:05:28 PM

* March 11, 2011, 10:00:07 PM
Times change, don't they?  Six or seven years ago a common recommendation was to use .pdf preliminaries and drawings to clients as a way of keeping control of your intellectual property....javascript:void(0);

March 11, 2011, 11:48:28 PM
Times change, don't they?  Six or seven years ago a common recommendation was to use .pdf preliminaries and drawings to clients as a way of keeping control of your intellectual property....javascript:void(0);
Probably still is if password protection is used. Depends whether the program used to create as pdf supports password protection. I am assuming TC cannot open or at least alter protected files depending on the protected perameters, ie. print, modify, form data etc. If turbocad 18 is used to create a pdf file, are security settings available?

Alan.

March 12, 2011, 07:26:03 AM
Times change, don't they?  Six or seven years ago a common recommendation was to use .pdf preliminaries and drawings to clients as a way of keeping control of your intellectual property....javascript:void(0);
Probably still is if password protection is used. Depends whether the program used to create as pdf supports password protection. I am assuming TC cannot open or at least alter protected files depending on the protected perameters, ie. print, modify, form data etc. If turbocad 18 is used to create a pdf file, are security settings available?

I just tried to underlay a couple of PDFs protected by a password or a certificate. TC will not let you add them to the Underlay Manager.

BradE [ dean3Design ]

March 12, 2011, 08:40:54 AM
Brad, that is good. So I expect it would still be possible to copy simple graphics by capturing to jpg or similar and using a convertor to vector graphics, eg Serif Draw Plus or Turbocad trace, but details and layer info would remain protected so most designs would require a significant amount of work to steal a protected design. All good.

Alan.

March 12, 2011, 09:00:51 AM
Murray, what steps do you take to protect your I.P.? I would love to find a simple, uncumbersome method of sharing my ideas with a customer without them being able to pass designs I have spent time on to someone else who undercuts me because I have saved them the effort of working it out. It is common-place in cabinetmaking for typically the big professional companies to produce lovely designs for customers, for little or no cost, then the customer uses those designs to give to makers who can do good work but don't bother with quality drafting and undercut the big companies. I am tempted not to put in the hard preparation for this reason, but consider it to be a part of a thorough service, especially as I don't have a show-room. I considered using the Adobe Acrobat portal where sign in is required, but didn't like the way you had to sign up to allow Adobe to advertise to your customers however they chose, a bit heavy I thought. Also considered using protected area on my own website to view, and might still do that eventually, then you can track ip addresses that visit and see if a pattern develops. I don't think there is a way to stop this problem, all you can do is make it a bit difficult or be restrictive in the detail you actually make available.

Alan.