TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

3rd Party Rendering Applications
Read 6656 times
March 17, 2010, 07:21:11 PM
There are many 3rd party apps out there. Such as Thea, LuxRender, Mental Ray, Vray & others. I think TurboCAD could benefit from getting ported to some of these programs throughout the 3D community. The renders done within TC with the Lightworks rendering engine are great, but I think these others apps could provide that little something extra.
I joined the Thea forum tonight & saw Richard Brem's model from this thread(http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,2674.0.html), but rendered outside of TC, & is it absolutely stunning. It can be viewed here (http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1922&p=14684&hilit=TurboCAD#p14684), but you will have to sign up to see it.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* March 18, 2010, 02:13:04 PM
Ken, Thanks...good topic which is very relevant in today’s 3D world.

I have to agree with you that some of the 3rd party renderers can provide that extra punch for those who are so inclined. It does however require the extra steps of having to export the model and work with it in a 3rd party application outside of TurboCAD. For some projects this may not be an issue. I know for myself there are some projects that for various reasons are best completed entirely within TurboCAD and it is certainly capable in this regard.

I’ve been dabbling over the last few years with other rendering apps. TurboCAD has still remained my modeler of choice along with a few others. I’m always striving for the next level in photo-realistic rendering. But I’m cheap and I don’t want to spend much money on software, so I started using the free Kerkythea as an alternative renderer and was amazed at it’s capabilities and power. The developers of KT have in the last 2 years, been working on Thea Render, which as of now is in public beta testing and is available for download for free. It is fully functional with the restrictions of having limited image size export and of course the Thea watermark. If you like the software you can purchase a licence to provide activation and full functionality.

Here attached are a couple of Thea renders done of TurboCAD models. The motor you mentioned and some of you may recognize the hummingbird from a few years back……...modeled in TC V8……...I was testing out caustics.

March 18, 2010, 03:04:43 PM
Gotta say that the metals, especially their highlights, look far more realistic than what I've been able to do in TurboCAD.

IMSI may want to rethink their alliances when it comes to this sort of thing.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

March 18, 2010, 04:32:17 PM
Gotta say that the metals, especially their highlights, look far more realistic than what I've been able to do in TurboCAD.

IMSI may want to rethink their alliances when it comes to this sort of thing.

Jeff

I think in the future in TC can discover new rendering techniques. Even the LightWorks rendering engine which goes to the TC develops http://www.caustic.com/company_press-releases_08-03-2009.php. But do we have to wait ...     :-\  :'(

I thought that even the new version will also be 17 new LightWorks 8.2 engine, or at least 8.1 . I believe that the next year there will be improvement in this area ...

Perhaps it would be best for those who need to make high quality rendering plugin for TC. Those who really needs to have something as well as pay more money. I would like to see ...

Majo
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:52:07 PM by Majo »

WorkPC->HP Z620 2x E5-2680v2 2,8GHz, 64GB RAM,Quadro K4000, 400GB SSD+2TB HDD, Win10 Pro 64bit
HomePC->i7-3770 CPU 3,40GHz, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 760, 120+60GB SSD, Win7 HP 64bit

TC Pro Plat x64
www.invent-dizajn.sk, www.facebook.com/marian.jurcak

March 18, 2010, 06:35:44 PM
...I was testing out caustics.

I have the VRay plugin for trueSpace which is fantastic. There really are some great standalone rendering apps available these days. Thea looks very promising. I think IMSI is talking steps in the right direction with additions like the advanced rendering options available in version 16. There are still effects like caustics as Richard demonstrated below that have such an impact on a rendering, some of us are aching to see them implemented into TC. I think some serious attention needs to be given to memory and cpu usage in TC first though.

Very nice renderings Richard!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:41:37 PM by Brad Easterday »

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

March 19, 2010, 10:04:22 AM
...I was testing out caustics.

I have the VRay plugin for trueSpace which is fantastic. There really are some great standalone rendering apps available these days. Thea looks very promising. I think IMSI is talking steps in the right direction with additions like the advanced rendering options available in version 16. There are still effects like caustics as Richard demonstrated below that have such an impact on a rendering, some of us are aching to see them implemented into TC. I think some serious attention needs to be given to memory and cpu usage in TC first though.

Very nice renderings Richard!
TC rendering is great. With that said, instead of concentrating more on rendering in TC, write  plug-ins  to some of these rendering apps. Hell many of these apps have SketchUp support., yeah, thats right, SketchUp. TC needs to get into this area to gain some market share. I was at the Indigo Rended site reading the forum & searched for TurboCAD & found a post in which someone requested an exporter for TurboCAD & the reply was that he was the only one on the forum using TC, therfore go to the TC forums & request it. IMSI already offers the " IDX Renditioner " for SketchUp. Just a thought.

TurboCAD user since v3

March 19, 2010, 11:43:54 AM
I think, the future are GPU Based renders like Octane: http://www.refractivesoftware.com/index.html   or the lux render.

Another interesting looking render ist numenus: http://www.numenus.de/produkte_en.html

Rudl

March 19, 2010, 01:10:56 PM
I think, the future are GPU Based renders like Octane: http://www.refractivesoftware.com/index.html   or the lux render.

Another interesting looking render ist numenus: http://www.numenus.de/produkte_en.html

Rudl

Thanks for the links. I will thake a look ate these apps asap.

TurboCAD user since v3

* March 19, 2010, 03:04:36 PM
A word of caution!

Good rendering engines/packages are available, but pricey.

If you have time to spare - take a look at all the variables and their combination's / permutations. The resultant number is staggering. Any variation of one variable in a render in combination with all the other variables will make an immediate and sometimes not too subtle change to your work.

What I'm trying to say is that they must be studied carefully and the educated (in a particular package) person can do wonders. In the graphics field there is a tendency to put too much "blame" on the package.

I have not done any renders in TC yet, but I am sure there is a long learning curve that one must master before really good results are obtained. Don't give up on TC.

Ed

Rel 20 Pro Platinum

March 19, 2010, 03:55:16 PM
Hallo Ed,

meanwhile my renderings in TC become better, after a long way of experiments. But I must say, my old C4D 8,5 was much more easier to use and quicker. When you look to the videos of octane, you can see, that the renderings are very fast.

Rudl

March 20, 2010, 04:24:10 AM
A word of caution!

Good rendering engines/packages are available, but pricey.

If you have time to spare - take a look at all the variables and their combination's / permutations. The resultant number is staggering. Any variation of one variable in a render in combination with all the other variables will make an immediate and sometimes not too subtle change to your work.

What I'm trying to say is that they must be studied carefully and the educated (in a particular package) person can do wonders. In the graphics field there is a tendency to put too much "blame" on the package.

I have not done any renders in TC yet, but I am sure there is a long learning curve that one must master before really good results are obtained. Don't give up on TC.

Ed

I have not given up on TC, quite the contrary. 10 years ago I was really into 3D rendering & that was one of my main activities. Now I mostly use TC in a work envionment. As of late I have gotten the "rendering" bug again, & TC is my tool of choice. With that said, I will look at other apps also. I might find one I like as much if not better than TC. On occasion I still use some of my old software, mainly Raydream Studio 5.5 (circa 2000) & TriSpectives 3D Technical (circa 1996). My main thing as far as 3rd party programs go is that TC gains a larger following in the 3D community, maybe competing with some of these bigger names in the modeling world like Rhino & 3DS Max. I truly think TC can get there & with all of that said those two programs rfender very well themselves, but also have plug-ins to port to 3rd party software for visualization purposes.

TurboCAD user since v3

March 20, 2010, 11:43:34 AM
I too have wondered if TurboCad would implement latest version full support of LightWorks, port natively to another render engine, or include an upgraded render package.  While the enhancements made since v11 have been substantial I believe the priority has been to improve the CAD "2D/3D package" capabilities.  ANd that is great, the improvemtns are fantastic.

My only concern now is for TC to export data that can be used in a 3rd part render engine.  Which it has een for the most part, or with some workarounds.  After much trial and error I switched to Carrera about four years ago and am completely satisfied.

"Be who you are and say what you feel.. because those who mind do not matter, and those who matter do not mind"

March 21, 2010, 04:49:50 AM
I too have wondered if TurboCad would implement latest version full support of LightWorks, port natively to another render engine, or include an upgraded render package.  While the enhancements made since v11 have been substantial I believe the priority has been to improve the CAD "2D/3D package" capabilities.  ANd that is great, the improvemtns are fantastic.

My only concern now is for TC to export data that can be used in a 3rd part render engine.  Which it has een for the most part, or with some workarounds.  After much trial and error I switched to Carrera about four years ago and am completely satisfied.

That is pretty much how I feel also. BTW, I have never tried Carrera. I still have Raydream Studio 5.5 (circa 2000) which was a part of Metacreations along with Carrera. Do you have a gallery to view? I would like to see some of your work done in Carrera.

TurboCAD user since v3

March 21, 2010, 06:09:33 AM
Here is one example done a couple of years ago.  Modeled in TC, Rendered in Carrara.

"Be who you are and say what you feel.. because those who mind do not matter, and those who matter do not mind"

March 21, 2010, 08:34:25 AM
Here is one example done a couple of years ago.  Modeled in TC, Rendered in Carrara.

Nicely done. BTW what did you render your avatar with?

TurboCAD user since v3

March 21, 2010, 08:48:28 AM
Thanks,  Carrara