TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

TurboCAD Challenge 2009
Read 42895 times
May 13, 2009, 12:24:48 PM
I thought it was important to move this topic over to the new Forum.

This is just a heads up to let all you TurboCAD fans know that a new TurboCAD Challenge is now well into the planning. So get cracking on that award winning design and watch this space for details.

I will get the challenge pages up on the last week of May and we will start accepting entries June 1st. We will accept entries all of June. We will have email voting July 1 - 7 and announce the winners on July 8th.

Best wishes and happy TurboCADing,
Don

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:39:24 PM by turbotech »

* May 13, 2009, 04:57:08 PM
As my first official message on the new forum.... thanks for heads up Don.

Don

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

May 14, 2009, 09:53:28 AM
Nice one Don.

I think I may enter something this year.

Best Regards

Dave

Dave C
TC Pro V14.2 - TC 21 Platinum 64 Bit Build 22.3
Intel i-4770K 3.5GHz
120GB ssd 2TB hd
16GB memory
64bit Windows 7 Pro

www.ipernity.com/fizzyfitz

May 19, 2009, 05:52:57 AM
I'll probably come up with something! Cool concept. : ;D

Bent Sannes - DAKnor
TurboCADdin' since early 2009

* May 19, 2009, 02:20:09 PM
Hello Don, I am game for another go this year. I find the Turbocad Challenge very  interesting  because it shows the great diversity of different ideas and usage of Turbocad.

* May 19, 2009, 02:24:42 PM
Like the thumbs up smiley Mike, wonder if we can get him on the smiley palette ?.

May 24, 2009, 10:09:28 AM
Please note that the 2009 TurboCAD Challenge pages are now up and you are all welcome to have a look.

Please note that entries will not be accepted until June 1st.

Viewers will also be pleased to find that along with prize donations by IMSI/Design and Textual Creations we have had additional prize donors come forward. This includes Milan Spinar, Kevin Mendenhall and Brad Easterday.

Of special note is the fact that Brad Easterday is making his business debut by offering prizes for our challenge. Good Luck Brad! Click his dean3Design logo link on the challenge home page for preview.

I hope that we will see big time participation this year and find as much pleasure and comradely as we have seen with our previous challenges.

Good Luck to all!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 10:40:20 AM by Don Cheke »

* May 27, 2009, 07:09:33 PM
New forum.   

I guess I will just have to get used to it.  ;)

Hi Don. Good luck with the Turbo challenge.

May 31, 2009, 09:30:05 PM
The 2009 TurboCAD Challenge is now officially under way and entries are now being accepted.

Only 30 days remaining to get that masterpiece complete and emailed off.

I hope that you will all be able to get into the spirit and will feel welcome to participate. Be sure to tell your friends, families and coworkers about our friendly challenge and tell them to pop in for a visit to see how things are shaping up over the course of the next few weeks.

Good Luck to all!

June 04, 2009, 09:21:42 AM
Be sure to check out the 2009 TurboCAD Challenge regularly as entries have started to arrive.

* June 07, 2009, 08:29:03 PM
The entries are all impressive.  The prizes look great too. 

As an aside, at the speed that I am progressing with TCad, they will be releasing TCv20.3 before I get something to that level.  You are all impressive.

June 15, 2009, 07:07:21 AM
Only 16 days (including today) to get your entry in for the 2009 TurboCAD Challenge .

Don't be shy, share your TurboCAD work and you may win some wonderful prizes.

* June 16, 2009, 05:38:49 PM
...As an aside, at the speed that I am progressing with TCad, they will be releasing TCv20.3 before I get something to that level.  You are all impressive.

Don is right. You might be better than you think. If you have an idea to put out there, what do you have to lose?

If I didn't have a bad case of "drafter's block" myself, I'd be working on something.  :(

D Fishback

* June 19, 2009, 02:32:29 PM
Hello Don,
               I am going to submit a C.A.D. Sculpture for my entry this year and have a question in relation to usage of background images. Most of my sculptures require more than one render mode which I then combine to produce my finished image. I normally use at least three images one rendered with a plain background, one with a cubical map for reflections, and one that has a background image which is usually a variant on clouds. In  the process of developing my model for the Challenge, I have combined the three exported images to achieve the reflections and shading that I require in psp, and have then set it as the background image in turbocad. As my model and my background image occupy the same space, I am able to let the reflections and shading from the background Image show through my model with varying levels of transparency as happens normally with the background image. Incidentally this overcomes the limitations of Turbocad not having all the layer properties that an image editor would have. Can I get some feedback from the contestants as to whether this is an acceptable usage of the background image for the competition entry. If it contravenes , then I will use my best rendered version without the background image.

Mike Geraghty.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 03:02:25 PM by Michael Geraghty »

June 19, 2009, 03:35:40 PM
Hello Don,
               I am going to submit a C.A.D. Sculpture for my entry this year and have a question in relation to usage of background images. Most of my sculptures require more than one render mode which I then combine to produce my finished image. I normally use at least three images one rendered with a plain background, one with a cubical map for reflections, and one that has a background image which is usually a variant on clouds. In  the process of developing my model for the Challenge, I have combined the three exported images to achieve the reflections and shading that I require in psp, and have then set it as the background image in turbocad. As my model and my background image occupy the same space, I am able to let the reflections and shading from the background Image show through my model with varying levels of transparency as happens normally with the background image. Incidentally this overcomes the limitations of Turbocad not having all the layer properties that an image editor would have. Can I get some feedback from the contestants as to whether this is an acceptable usage of the background image for the competition entry. If it contravenes , then I will use my best rendered version without the background image.

Mike Geraghty.

Hi Mike,

For the contest, your final image must be rendered and/or saved from TurboCAD, so taking a number of renders and compiling them in an image editor is not an option for the challenge, if this is the final output. There are however all kinds of ways to use TurboCAD to an amazing extent since you can use image wrapping and RSE in all sorts of ways that still have your final output coming straight out of TurboCAD.

If I understand what you are saying above you have done what the attached image does, compile things to be used with the final render and the final render coming straight out of TurboCAD.

* June 19, 2009, 03:46:45 PM
Hello Don, the final render is right out of Turbocad, just that the background image shows through the model to apply added shading and reflection.

June 19, 2009, 04:11:44 PM
Hello Don, the final render is right out of Turbocad, just that the background image shows through the model to apply added shading and reflection.

Sounds like you are good to go.

June 23, 2009, 08:55:54 PM
Only 7 days remaining to get your entry in for the 2009 TurboCAD Challenge.

June 24, 2009, 04:50:23 PM
Can someone confirm that these 'sticky' threads show up as 'new' when a new post is made within.

June 24, 2009, 04:58:49 PM
They indeed do.  If you had edited the original post it would not.

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

June 24, 2009, 05:01:50 PM
They indeed do.  If you had edited the original post it would not.

Thanks Rip.

June 26, 2009, 05:44:54 AM
Only 5 days remaining to get your entry in for the 2009 TurboCAD Challenge.

* June 27, 2009, 10:13:20 PM
Only 5 days remaining to get your entry in for the 2009 TurboCAD Challenge.

Hello Don,
              Can you confirm what the latest time for entry submisssion is ??. What date and time AM or PM and in which Time Zone. Hope to have it finished for the 29th , but just to give myself some space.

Mike Geraghty.

June 28, 2009, 06:55:07 AM
Can you confirm what the latest time for entry submisssion is ?? Mike Geraghty.

Sure Michael, June 30, 2009* (*midnight Central Standard Time)

June 28, 2009, 06:56:18 AM
Only 3 days (including today) remaining to get your entry in for the 2009 TurboCAD Challenge.

June 29, 2009, 06:42:35 AM
Only 2 days (including today) remaining to get your entry in for the 2009 TurboCAD Challenge.

* June 29, 2009, 10:29:22 PM
Have just sent my first entry Don, please check your inbox to make sure. I also have another entry that I will email a little later.

Mike Geraghty

June 30, 2009, 06:31:01 AM
Today is the the last day to get your entry in for the 2009 TurboCAD Challenge. Your entry must arrive by midnight Central Standard Time, so if you haven't started - get to it :-)

* June 30, 2009, 01:22:21 PM
Have just sent my second entry Don, please check your inbox .
Good Luck to all the competitors , and many thanks to all involved. The Turbocad Challenge gives a good insight into the multivarious usage and facets of Turbocad.

Mike Geraghty.

* June 30, 2009, 06:04:15 PM
Does anyone have a good monitor calibration testcard pattern. I have just uploaded my entry for the Turbocad Challenge today, and then later looked at the images on my laptop instead of my main machine, and they appear a  lot brighter. I have used a Pantone Huey calibration instrument on my main machine last year, but have a feeling that they should still be checked with a good calibration image.Any good calibration images would be handy to leave on the site also as a reference for others.

* June 30, 2009, 06:15:19 PM
Hi Michael
Remarkable piece!
I notice from the previous forum you make an assortment of these models.Have ever made a real model from aluminum,utilizing CNC equipment.If so have any jpegs to share.Sure like to see the real thing .These are quite captivating.

W.D.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 06:18:16 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

June 30, 2009, 11:11:29 PM
Submissions for the 2009 TurboCAD Challenge are no longer being accepted. Thanks to all those who have graciously participated by entering the challenge.

The VOTING segment of the TurboCAD Challenge is NOW UNDERWAY and all viewers are welcome to cast their votes.

Please select a maximum of THREE (3) entries from the TurboCAD Challenge Participant Gallery.

Once a viewer has reviewed all entries and made their selection please cast your vote by emailing Don Cheke at dcheke@sasktel.net. Please list your selections by title and creator.

Only one email per voting viewer is allowed.

Email voting will continue until midnight (Central Standard Time) July 7, 2009 when the number of vote will be tabulated and announced on July 8, 2008.

* July 01, 2009, 07:35:21 AM

Hello WD and thanks for your comment, I have not produced any physical models yet but do hope to eventually. I spent my whole life with fabrication work, and have just been looking back to an early project back in 1974 when my fathers partner in the family engineering company started an agency for overseas engineering labour, anyway to cut a long story short I ended up welding up various parts of the Bagger 288 for six months at Krupp Engineering works in Rheinhausen along with a number of other liverpool lads. Would love to get the plans for this machine. It took 5 years to design and build. Here is the link.
Bagger 288
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 07:51:40 AM by Michael Geraghty »

* July 01, 2009, 11:53:46 AM
re: Bagger 288

Gee, I've got one of those in my basement. It never did get built. :)

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* July 01, 2009, 12:41:05 PM
re: Bagger 288

Gee, I've got one of those in my basement. It never did get built. :)

Nice one John , what a coincidence . Krupps Rheinhausen was the biggest engineering works in the world at that time, used to be the heavy armaments factory during the war. It  had tens of thousands of people between the engineering works and steelworks which were combined, and we even had trains running through the fabrication shops bringing all the fabrications from other parts of the yard for welding. The 289 is almost identical, but I think there were variations for mining different materials. Something worth having a go at on a rainy day or two John.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:08:45 PM by Michael Geraghty »

July 02, 2009, 09:44:34 PM
Congratulations to all who submitted an entry, some impressive work there. I only wish I had more than 3 votes to cast.

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* July 03, 2009, 11:07:05 AM
Some day these contests are going to have to include parts printed from Turbocad.....

* July 03, 2009, 12:20:25 PM
Some day these contests are going to have to include parts printed from Turbocad.....

Nice model Jim, has this been printed out with a 3d printer. I agree eventually it is the ideal for 3d printing at reasonable costs. The prices are really starting to come down with these technologies, ideal for rapid prototyping of smaller parts. Z-Corp is one of the company's that I have had a look at, but out of my range at present.

* July 03, 2009, 01:48:43 PM
Yes, that was printed on a 3D printer--and painted with primer so you can see them (otherwise they are clear). They are half scale. About 15" long and 5" in diameter when halves are put together.

I am amazed at what these printers can do these days and the cost is coming way down.

A friend said of this contest:

"This has got to be the greatest nerd competition in the history of mankind."

July 05, 2009, 07:28:55 AM
3 Voting Days remaining. If you haven't voted, please take a moment to do so.

Submissions for the 2009 TurboCAD Challenge are no longer being accepted. Thanks to all those who have graciously participated by entering the challenge.

The VOTING segment of the TurboCAD Challenge is NOW UNDERWAY and all viewers are welcome to cast their votes.

Please select a maximum of THREE (3) entries from the TurboCAD Challenge Participant Gallery.

Once a viewer has reviewed all entries and made their selection please cast your vote by emailing Don Cheke at dcheke@sasktel.net. Please list your selections by title and creator.

Email voting will continue until midnight (Central Standard Time) July 7, 2009 when the number of vote will be tabulated and announced on July 8, 2008.

July 07, 2009, 07:56:18 AM
LAST Day to Vote. If you haven't voted, please take a moment to do so.

Email voting will continue until midnight (Central Standard Time) July 7, 2009 when the number of votes will be tabulated and winners announced on July 8, 2008.

July 07, 2009, 11:21:43 PM
Please help me congratulate the Winners of the 2009 TurboCAD Challenge.

First Prize goes to Terry Moss for his 25 Pounder entry.

Second Prize goes to Marian Jurcak for his Escalator entry.

Third Prize goes to Ken Friend for his Normandie Stern Construction entry.

Please have a look at the TurboCAD Challenge Winner's Gallery.

Thanks goes to all of you who participated in the 2009 TurboCAD Challenge by submitting an entry. In the eyes of your TurboCAD peers, you are all winners in every sense of the word. Please know that everyone received votes and in many cases it was a very close race.

The prize winners have now been contacted via email and asked to select one of the three IMSI/Design prizes and the five Textual Creations tutorial that they desire.

Thanks also goes to those who participated in this year's challenge by taking time to view the many entries and by taking time to cast a vote.

Special thanks goes to IMSI/Design, Milan Spinar, Brad Easterday & Kevin Mendenhall for donating prizes and making the challenge much sweeter than it might otherwise have been.

Prize Winners - Please let me know if you didn't get the winner's announcement email requesting your mailing address. It did have your winner's certificated attached in two formats (4MB zipped). Sometimes email hosts don't accept large attachments.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:50:39 PM by Don Cheke »

* July 08, 2009, 07:17:40 AM
Congratulations to all the winners and participants and sponsors and organisers. looking forward to next years challenge Don. Maybe we can get something going with development of a Turbocad  Add-On  or scripts also.

Mike Geraghty.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:47:43 AM by Michael Geraghty »

* July 08, 2009, 09:25:09 AM
Please help me congratulate the Winners of the 2009 TurboCAD Challenge

Really amazing work there. It's interesting to observe how the technical and artistic quality of TCad models and renderings have matured since the program was introduced. Congrats to all the entrants; and the winners richly deserve their victories.

Henry H

* July 08, 2009, 10:48:18 AM
Congratulations to the winners and all involved in this years TC Challenge.

Special thanks to Don for his enthusiasm in promoting this great product.

Martin Gemander

July 08, 2009, 11:20:48 AM
Congratulations to the winners.

Best Regards

Dave

Dave C
TC Pro V14.2 - TC 21 Platinum 64 Bit Build 22.3
Intel i-4770K 3.5GHz
120GB ssd 2TB hd
16GB memory
64bit Windows 7 Pro

www.ipernity.com/fizzyfitz

* July 08, 2009, 12:48:49 PM
Congratulations. Some fine work all around.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* July 09, 2009, 11:58:09 AM
Congrats to all, realy great stuff.

Sorry Don, I didn't have the time to participate anymore, my work whas 70% ready.

* July 09, 2009, 12:21:02 PM
I like to thank Don Cheke for heading up this year's TurboCAD Challenge as well as all of you who participated!
Keep up the good works!

July 10, 2009, 01:27:47 PM
Congrats to all of the winners and to all of the participants as well.  The gallery has some great work which makes it hard to pick three. 

Thanks to Don as well.  This is inspiring to us all.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

July 15, 2009, 07:59:25 PM
Pretty good stuff.

Can't argue with the choices.

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

March 19, 2010, 05:55:18 PM
Hey Don,
Great job this year.  Although my favorite was the Escalator, job well done.  Thanks.

I have 3 great looking kids, thank God my wife cheats on me.
Using V15.2, Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit

March 19, 2010, 05:57:52 PM
Hey Don,
Great job this year.  Although my favorite was the Escalator, job well done.  Thanks.

And after 20 years of using TurboCad, I am not sure why I am still a newbie??

You'd think TC would come up with a oldie, maybie.  IMHO.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 05:59:44 PM by Chris Bryant »

I have 3 great looking kids, thank God my wife cheats on me.
Using V15.2, Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit

March 20, 2010, 01:38:47 PM
And after 20 years of using TurboCad, I am not sure why I am still a newbie??

I'm not so good at recognizing irony, so I just wanted to be sure you knew that your "ranking" relates to the number of posts you have made.   :-\

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1