TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Lathe Help
Read 4628 times
February 17, 2011, 07:19:16 AM
I have Turbocad 14 with the cam add on that my son got when he was in school. I’m a 17.2 platinum user and love it. Part of my job is programming 7 axis millturn machines and I was hoping to use the cam on the turning Ops. to save on the math, and if it worked out to upgrade the cam to tc17.2.  I know that I would have to edit the code I get into my programs, that’s no big deal. The problems I’m having is cutting a tapered thread and boring a profile. Is it the cam software, or me? And if it’s the software will 17.2 be able to do it?

* February 17, 2011, 07:46:10 AM
Turbocad can make a lovely 3d Taper pipe threads.But keep in mind TCCam is 2-1/2d. It will do a bore profile.I have my doubts for turning pipe thread.Unless some end user come up with a improvise process.In the images attach are made by resident Royal Beta Master Mr.Henry O. Hubich long time user of TurboCad.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:01:55 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

February 17, 2011, 10:06:56 AM
Yes you can do some nice work with TC. I can't find a boring bar in the tool list so that I can modify it to what I'm using. If i could find one I may be able to get it to work. I can cut a pipe thread on a 2 axis lathe so in my little mind it should be able to be done in a 2½D program. If the user knows how. ???

February 17, 2011, 10:16:29 AM
I do not have a CNC lathe, but I will look into the CAM plugin & see if I can come up with a solution.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

February 17, 2011, 10:17:37 AM
Another place to look for help on this topic may be CNCZone http://www.cnczone.com

TurboCAD user since v3

* February 17, 2011, 11:36:24 AM
I can cut a pipe thread on a 2 axis lathe so in my little mind it should be able to be done in a 2½D program. If the user knows how.
No doubt you can do in the lathe.CnC or Manual.Doubt TCC can do it.If do find a solution please do share here in the forum.Some how your going to have insert the code in the program.I know it will turn a tapers but taper thread in TCC might burb and cough and crash.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

February 17, 2011, 01:14:34 PM
I can cut a pipe thread on a 2 axis lathe so in my little mind it should be able to be done in a 2½D program. If the user knows how.
No doubt you can do in the lathe.CnC or Manual.Doubt TCC can do it.If do find a solution please do share here in the forum.Some how your going to have insert the code in the program.I know it will turn a tapers but taper thread in TCC might burb and cough and crash.

Well if you know the pitch of the thread, and you know the taper, one would think the CAM software could just do it.

TurboCAD user since v3

* February 17, 2011, 01:35:55 PM
I can't find a boring bar in the tool list so that I can modify it to what I'm using.
Look under backturn in the Tool Store,There might be something you could use.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:49:26 PM by wd »