TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

another day, another console
Read 1509 times
February 13, 2011, 03:40:08 PM
Hey guys.  First off, happy birthday to me !  Turned 62 on Saturday, and as we old guys have discovered, I still feel 25.  I don't *look* 25 (who is that old guy in the mirror?), but you're only pretty as you feel, right ?

Anyway . . . here's the latest console design, based on the modular system I've developed.  It's getting easier to model and light these things.  This uses a simple sky luminance, two accent (regular) spotlights, and a custom HDR environment.  One of the big changes in using TurboCAD is that models and parts keep their integrity for re-use.  As it should be, of course, but objects created in DesignCAD used to lose their properties and intelligence, so when I tried to reuse them, they would just be a collection of facets.  Being able to build a useful library of components has allowed me to really develop this console system. 

I'm still awed by the organic modeling that many of you resident experts can do.  I struggled so much to make the curved cables coming from the keyboards !  Learning about using splines for sweep paths.  And the surface simplification tool helped, too.  BTW, this is on ACIS draft mode - quality mode just froze the onscreen render, even in a tiny window.  Hope v18 addresses some of these rendering-filesize-quality-time issues.

Steve

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

February 13, 2011, 05:30:04 PM
Happy Birthday Steve. So there is still life after 60, is there?  :-) Just kidding. I have a ways to go before I am there but can relate to your comments.

I really like the new design - pretty elegant I must say.

February 14, 2011, 05:18:50 AM
Happy Birthday Steve! This is a great looking console. I know who I'm calling if I ever need one.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

February 14, 2011, 07:53:10 AM
62? Damned kid  ::)
Your console presentations keep getting better and better.

TC 11.2 and 17.2 Platinum

February 16, 2011, 07:08:21 PM
very good work

Take Care
Craig
Using TurboCAD v18.2; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz;<BR>Win 7 ProSp1; 6GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM; EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
DeviantArt Gallery @ http://crag-dolomite.deviantart.com/gallery
TurboCAD Animators @ http://www.vimeo.com/channelTCAnim