TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Shapes that give me trouble
Read 11255 times
December 15, 2010, 06:18:14 AM
I am trying to come to grips with drawing odd shapes in TurboCAD and I was wondering how some of my fellow TurboCAD users would approach drawing the attached steam iron?

* December 15, 2010, 06:40:18 AM
Perhaps simple method is for the base is create a profile and sweep on a path and for the upper such the handle section some lofting and blending radius's and detail with a slow twist with some revolving  for the cord and incorporate the switches, buttons etc. along with extruding process.

Kinda mixture of things I guess if want go 3d solids.On the other hand if your into surfaces I suppose that's another approach also.This seems to be cool project to make. Don't for get to post in gallery sure like to see the finish results. :)

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

December 15, 2010, 07:04:34 AM
I'd likely start with lofting for the main body Don. I remember Stefaan posting an iron render in the gallery of the old forum. Maybe he's watching and can provide some insight to his design.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* December 15, 2010, 08:28:39 AM
Interesting challenge. Don't have time to tackle it right now.

Henry H

* December 15, 2010, 07:53:42 PM
Don I would like to give it a try but first how do you get an image to show up so that you can see the object you are modeling in front of the image. I inserted picture from file and no matter what angle I turn the model all I can see is the image with the model hidden behind it. It does not matter what plane the image is sitting on. Help!!!

December 15, 2010, 08:22:12 PM
Don I would like to give it a try but first how do you get an image to show up so that you can see the object you are modeling in front of the image. I inserted picture from file and no matter what angle I turn the model all I can see is the image with the model hidden behind it. It does not matter what plane the image is sitting on. Help!!!

Select the image and press Shift + Page Down.

* December 15, 2010, 09:54:29 PM
still no luck

* December 16, 2010, 03:28:04 AM
how do you get an image to show up so that you can see the object you are modeling in front of the image.

Almost sounds like your using Solidworks? I know that has that capability. I seen an engineer do that once using Solidworks, I thought it was pretty cool.

Windows 7, TurboCad ver 15.2

* December 16, 2010, 06:05:55 AM
I gave it a little thought this evening, Don.  The approach I've used is in the picture progression.  First, I've drawn a single spline that represents the outline at the junction of the sole and body.  I've used linear copies to make a network that I've lofted to describe a skin.  I haven't tried to contain the skin within the boundaries of the iron's body (mimic the profile of it), because I'm using associative properties to let me edit the shape of it even when it's complete, without having to rebuild the entire thing.
Next, I've made a simple sweep of the profile of the body.  It's only one millimetre deep, so I can use extrude to face from the sweep to the loft.  TC has given me a counterintuitive result here; the picture shows the extrusion from the reverse side of the loft.  No matter; I've made another sweep that meets it, and subtracted the earlier one.
The advantage of the approach I've used is that editing the copies of the first spline I drew edits the shape of the iron body, without having to be directly associated with it.  I've used subtraction to take out the hand-grip area, and then applied some blends to the vaguely-iron-shaped solid.  After each of those additional actions, editing the splines changes the shape while the blends are retained.  If I propose a radical edit, after whick TC's not capable of reconstructing the parametric shape, depending on what I was editing, I might lose the blends, or my change might make the original surface unachievable, which has more radical implications.  Undoing the last action takes me back to a safe version, so nothing is lost, and my next attempt will be more cautious!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:26:50 AM by murray dickinson »

December 16, 2010, 06:37:47 AM
This is very interesting Murray. I can think of a few times that this approach would saved me considerable time. Thanks for the insight.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

December 16, 2010, 07:26:49 AM
Thanks for your insights into this Murray. I will have to investigate your method a great deal more. Being able to have the 3D object associated with the 2D spline(s) is a pretty cool thing. I used this method to tweak placement when placing the wiring in the speaker box in my Speaker Cutaway tutorial. I also have this idea on my list for TurboCAD tips, but I don't think I realized how handy this might be in other situations. Thanks again, I will keep you and the others posted on my progress.

* December 16, 2010, 08:12:02 AM
Lofted the yellow profiles. Bottom two used to make the sole; top five for the upper part of the appliance. Extruded the white oval; subtracted from the upper loft; blended the edges.

Henry H

December 16, 2010, 09:17:54 AM
That is pretty sweet Henry.

Question, if you loft with Use Compound Profile engaged and you node edit the profiles, does the 3D object update as well?

* December 16, 2010, 11:38:16 AM
That is pretty sweet Henry.

Question, if you loft with Use Compound Profile engaged and you node edit the profiles, does the 3D object update as well?

Yes, if the editing is done before any Boolean operations. It's iffy after Boolean ops; if Part Tree is ON, a limited amount of automatic updating is available, but I don't really know how to predict what can be done and what cannot.

Henry H

* December 16, 2010, 12:25:24 PM
I gave it a shot.  First, I made a 10" x 2.5" x .250" rectangle.  Then, I used the Blend tool with snaps off and the Start Radius at 12, and the Setbacks at .5.  After I blended the corner edge I did a Mirror copy.  I don't fully understand setbacks but this might get me started.  So far I only tried the bottom plate.

**EDIT**  I then did a Blend/Chamfer on the sides with offsets of 0.25 and 0.1.  I think the top portion would be done with cones and lofting and I might give it a try.

John B.
Merry Xmas.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:33:02 PM by John B. »

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
1 GB Hard Drive 16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* December 16, 2010, 08:21:46 PM
Slightly different approach:

Lofted all the profiles (in two sets, one set for the handle and one set for the sole); sliced off the bottom of the handle; mirror-copied; blended bottom edge of handle and both top and bottom edges of sole.

While this method provides full control over the shape of the object, I find it virtually impossible to smooth out all the lumps. (Tried Lofting with Guidelines: what a joke.) The material I assigned, tongue in cheek, to the handle is intended to be consistent with the imperfection of the object's shape.

Henry H

* December 17, 2010, 05:45:44 AM
It might be less lumpy if you were to loft the "more straight" sections, say the three profiles that comprise the handle, those down the leading edge, back edge and body adjacent to the sole, separately, then use face-to-face-lofted connections between them, Henry.

* December 18, 2010, 10:49:34 PM
Does this look like an iron to you?  Maybe for a little holiday cheer.  I can't match the talents on the forum but at least I took a stab at it.  Mostly used the Blend tool but also used a closed Bezier curve for some of the shapes up front, and Scale.  A lesson learned is that if the Blend tool won't accept a radius, then go to a smaller one.  My first attempt crashed and I lost everything and had to start over.  I think that much thought is needed to make the sequence of steps.  It seems that I run out of options when doing a Blend and I have to resort to a Bezier curve and/or subtract another object.

John B.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 11:00:12 PM by John B. »

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* December 19, 2010, 10:32:49 AM
It might be less lumpy if you were to loft the "more straight" sections, say the three profiles that comprise the handle, those down the leading edge, back edge and body adjacent to the sole, separately, then use face-to-face-lofted connections between them, Henry.

Sounded like an interesting idea, Murray, so I tried it. Failed utterly. Never realized there were so many ways the program could screw up simple commands.

Henry H

* December 22, 2010, 04:11:16 PM
I tried to make an iron again and after wrestling with it for a while I discovered it's all about lofting.  I've never had to lofting before so this gave me a chance to learn.  I used splines and polylines and rectangles.  I blended edges with radii and chamfers.  Scaling was a very important tool.  It was hard to get it perfect but I did a lot of configuring to get it to look reasonably right.  I don't think anyone that sees this in the Sears catalog will buy it but at least it gave me something to do.

Merry Xmas,

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* December 22, 2010, 06:51:31 PM
Or you could make the iron in Moi and import it to TC  ;)
This is an example of an object that is very difficult to make in TC and a breeze to make in Moi with nurbs and networking. This could be made with a poly modeler but this too would be a bit slow. I still hope TC will develop a bit more capability in this area in future versions.

* December 22, 2010, 07:19:46 PM
"a breeze to make in Moi with nurbs"

What I would like is the ability to pull the edge of an object to conform with an edge of another.  For example:  The green plate at the bottom is wider in places than the main body of the iron and it is difficult to trace a spline to try and match it.  Maybe constraints would do it and I have constraints on TCv12.5.  I don't know how to match the two unless I try again and take more time.  I'll look up Moi.

John B.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:26:01 PM by John B. »

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* December 22, 2010, 07:24:37 PM
"a breeze to make in Moi with nurbs"

What I would like is the ability to pull the edge of an object to conform with an edge of another.  For example:  The green plate at the bottom is wider in places that the main body of the iron and it is difficult to trace a spline to try and match it.  Maybe constraints would do it and I have constraints on TCv12.5.  I don't know how to match the two unless I try again and take more time.  I'll look up Moi.

John

Forget it :-(

Henry H

* December 22, 2010, 10:25:40 PM

Forget it :-(

Oh well, if I really wanted to make it perfect I could spend more time on it and try different techniques but I'm not getting paid for it and I've learned something more.  The folks that have their drawings on the department store shelves probably do the same thing day after day and know the shortcuts.

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

December 22, 2010, 11:11:52 PM
Or you could make the iron in Moi .... a breeze to make in Moi with nurbs and networking.

Might be a breeze if you knew exactly what to do but I am finding it rather difficult at the moment even in MoI. The upper cap is giving me big time grief, but I can't spend any more time on this today, Maybe I will try again tomorrow or the next day. My results so far are attached.

* December 23, 2010, 05:49:41 AM
Don, take a look at the tutorial on the moi site for modeling the ferrari.

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&final_uri=discussion.php%3Fwebtag%3DMOI%26msg%3D2546.1

Use these same tequniques for modeling the iron. Moi has the ability to network between nurbs and this tequnique is very versitile. especially if uses in conjunction with boolean operations.

* December 23, 2010, 12:36:25 PM
What tools do you think the original designers of the iron (or is it the X33?) used?

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

December 23, 2010, 12:44:38 PM
What tools do you think the original designers of the iron (or is it the X33?) used?

I image it was some higher end program, but I couldn't say which. Could have started out as a wooded carving for all I know. :-)

* December 25, 2010, 09:57:28 AM
Hi Don, Merry Christmas! Did you get a chance to check out the Moi Ferrari Tutorial?

December 25, 2010, 06:34:20 PM
Hi Don, Merry Christmas! Did you get a chance to check out the Moi Ferrari Tutorial?

I looked Steve, but I find that the video moves too quickly and there is no dialogue to know what the user is doing. Most of the video download links are broken, so one cannot even download and play at a slower speed. The three talking documentation tutorials by Michael are good and more of that caliber would be great.

* December 26, 2010, 10:27:04 AM
I tried to improve my technique last night on my iron.  I brought the iron in from the laundry room and set it on my desk and with a protractor and verniers I tried to decipher each section and then tried to make it in TC with lofting but it gets confusing and I got lost.  Maybe it's time to give up?  Is there such a thing as a topography tool?  Maybe something like that might make the surfaces from the bottom up?  I don't think TC12.5 has it and I haven't learned to use the Facet Deform tool yet.  Haven't look at Moi Ferrari yet.

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* December 28, 2010, 12:24:04 PM
Have a look at the "Steam Iron" thread in the Gallery ;-)

Henry H