TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Sheet metal flat pattern development
Read 9765 times
* May 19, 2009, 10:05:49 AM
As it stands, the unfolding capability in TurboCad is incomplete.  The flattened part should show centerlines and the edges of the bends, so that the part can be manufactured.  If this was done directly through the drafting palette that would be great.

Sincerely,

Joseph Milanese
C.S. Engineering, LLC
440-953-9878

* May 19, 2009, 11:04:16 AM
Joeseph this is definitely on my list of features moving forward.    I'll see if adding that to the Drafting Palette as you suggest is possible.
Thanks for the feedback.

* August 06, 2009, 02:12:03 PM
Dave,
Another issue with this is that you need to account for the "K" factor. In flat plate layout, when you bend sheet metal, the bend allownce for the bend is not the distance of the outer surface, rather it is at some point between the inner and outer serface that is a function of material hardness and the method of fabrication. The inner portion of the material compresses, and the outer portion streatches. There is some point within the material that it neither streatches or compresses and the length of this arc is the bend allownace for that bend. The "K" factor is the percentage of thickness from the inside surface that has no streatching or compressing, the neutral radius of bend.

I don't have TC pro 16 with mechancical yet, so if it is already there, disregard.

Thanks,
David

* August 06, 2009, 07:37:02 PM
Dave,
Another issue with this is that you need to account for the "K" factor. In flat plate layout, when you bend sheet metal, the bend allownce for the bend is not the distance of the outer surface, rather it is at some point between the inner and outer serface that is a function of material hardness and the method of fabrication. The inner portion of the material compresses, and the outer portion streatches. There is some point within the material that it neither streatches or compresses and the length of this arc is the bend allownace for that bend. The "K" factor is the percentage of thickness from the inside surface that has no streatching or compressing, the neutral radius of bend.

I don't have TC pro 16 with mechancical yet, so if it is already there, disregard.

Thanks,
David

It's already there :-)  TCad calls it "Neutral depth." And it works correctly.

Henry H

* August 07, 2009, 08:01:36 AM
Henry,
Thanks, sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be sure it was accounted for.

David

* August 12, 2009, 10:25:37 PM
For those who are new to the idea of developing the flat sheets and do not know what to use as a Neutral Depth setting, there is a general rule that it is 1/3 of the thickness from the inside of the bend. This works reasonably for a lot of mild steel and things like pipes and tubes. As noted above, it also depends on how the bend is made but if you have to guess....

The assumption is the inner 1/3 of the material compresses and the outer 2/3 stretches. If you are working with an unknown combination of material and bending pressure, try it at 33.3% and then adjust after measuring.