TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Interesting Move by Competitor
Read 29955 times
* December 25, 2010, 06:35:06 AM
Season's greetings, Don.  There's a predictable way of doming polygon faces: use a sphere, ellipsoid or cylinder to describe the surface, and intersect it with the block.  The edges can be easily blended and there's constant tangency between the faces.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 06:37:12 AM by murray dickinson »

January 06, 2011, 11:13:14 PM
One last MoI construct to show, then I will let this thread die. This time, the translation to TurboCAD wasn't without issue, but not so bad as to keep me from completing the project.

For some reason the render turned out exceptionally well without too much effort, if one can say that about their own work.

* January 07, 2011, 07:40:27 AM
One last MoI construct to show, then I will let this thread die. This time, the translation to TurboCAD wasn't without issue, but not so bad as to keep me from completing the project.

For some reason the render turned out exceptionally well without too much effort, if one can say that about their own work.

Actually, That's brilliant work Don. Thanks for posting it.  -  Al

January 07, 2011, 07:48:17 AM
Very nice Don, I may have to try moi myself.

"Be who you are and say what you feel.. because those who mind do not matter, and those who matter do not mind"

* January 07, 2011, 09:15:40 AM
Excellent work Don.  You keep setting the bar higher.  :)

Brock

* January 07, 2011, 10:29:10 AM

I'm impressed.

Henry H

January 07, 2011, 08:38:06 PM

Excellent model and render Don! I think you've proven what an asset MoI can be to a TC user.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

January 07, 2011, 11:45:00 PM
One last MoI construct to show

Very believable work, and I find myself wondering how I would do it in TurboCAD.  I would probably have to do a lot of lofting.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

January 08, 2011, 02:54:05 PM
Wow, this is quite a thread.  Bookmarked it for future reference.  Off to download a trial of MoI !  Even though most of my work work is easily accomplished in TCAD, I have a few other product ideas that will need some complex surfacing.  Great stuff - this forum is quite the resource, and you TCAD masters are very generous with your time and experience.
Steve

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

* January 08, 2011, 07:50:27 PM
One last MoI construct to show

Very believable work, and I find myself wondering how I would do it in TurboCAD.  I would probably have to do a lot of lofting.

Jeff

Maybe not. Here is an Extrusion intersected with an elongated Sphere; another Extrusion subtracted from the result; sliced and filleted...

Henry H

* January 09, 2011, 05:23:27 PM
Henry as always you make these things seem so easy how about some screen shots showing the steps to acomplish this model.

* January 09, 2011, 08:32:46 PM
Henry as always you make these things seem so easy how about some screen shots showing the steps to acomplish this model.

Here ya go, Stephen...

Henry H

* January 11, 2011, 07:44:32 PM
Man that is a cool workflow. Thanks Henry I just learned something new! I now realize that I do not use the intersect tool nearly enough.

January 14, 2011, 08:41:43 PM

Here ya go, Stephen...

Henry H

That is interesting...and not complicated.. it just goes to show you that it is a good idea to examine the 3 orthographic views of an object before attempting to construct it!

Take Care
Craig
Using TurboCAD v18.2; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz;<BR>Win 7 ProSp1; 6GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM; EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
DeviantArt Gallery @ http://crag-dolomite.deviantart.com/gallery
TurboCAD Animators @ http://www.vimeo.com/channelTCAnim

* September 08, 2011, 04:34:10 PM
I just noticed that MoI uses 3dm as its native format (same as Rhino), so this is another bonus as TurboCAD can open that file format directly and so far it looks pretty good, results wise.

Like so many CAD programs, there is next to nothing for comprehensive learning and I am finding it difficult to know where and how to approach more complex shapes in MoI. I wish it was easier for this old brain to figure things out, but alas it is a stressful experience trying to learn MoI. I guess I am just going to have to decide on a model to try, photograph some reference material and work at it one bit at a time. I guess I should remember that it took a long time to become proficient with TurboCAD, so there is a good change it will take me more than a week to become proficient with MoI.

I don't know if IMSI is watching this thread but I asked Michael Gibson (the creator of MoI) the question below.

"Are you bound solely to Alibre with your working arrangement, or are you able to partner with other CAD companies as well, in the same manner?"

He said: "The deal with Alibre is non-exclusive, so it is possible for me to partner with other CAD companies as well if they are interested."

I hope that you (IMSI) might keep it in mind.

Just started trying out my version of MOI recently Don, and could not agree more about the potential of IMSI acquiring the brilliant innovation in the NURBS field  that Michael Gibson has developed. Michael has created the perfect interface between organic modelling and CAD solid modelling, great mindset.

If I wanted to add that facility to CAD, and I was a head hunter, Michael Gibson would be my first call.

We are early days in the combination between the two disciplines, and it is my belief that is the way the market is moving.

Here's hoping that the possibility exists.