TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Dis-Associative Dimension
Read 2635 times
July 01, 2009, 03:23:19 PM
I've experienced some dimensions that change for no apparent reason. I've established that this happens only to associative dimensions. Seems to be at random and unrepeatable. I've lost all trust in Associative Dimensions, having already sent one drawing out with an erroneous dimension that I hadn't seen. That was embarrassing.

My fix is either to delete the dimension and do it all over again, or break the association by editing the reference point/move it/move it back to where it was. We select if associative or not before dimensioning but can't do it after the dimension is done - why can't we un-tick the Associative dimension box in that dimension's properties (yes, I realise it's probably a one-way change).

I want all my dimensions to be associative and I will continue to use them, however, I feel I'm spending way to much time checking and double-checking that one hasn't changed somewhere. Also, Associative dimensioning now seems to take ages to register/compute. Place a dimension - egg timer for 10~15secs - do next one. Non-associative dimensions are instant. I can't recall this being a problem in earlier versions.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 03:42:47 PM by Julian Thomas »

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* July 01, 2009, 04:30:39 PM
I'm wondering if this issue isn't being caused by Styles so you might start with looking. 
So my 2 questions are: 

1. did this drawing originate in v16?
2. are you using the drafting palette objects? 

July 01, 2009, 04:34:09 PM
1. did this drawing originate in v16?
2. are you using the drafting palette objects?

Yes & yes

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* July 01, 2009, 04:36:26 PM
any chance you can either post or send me the drawing?
As for the DP performance wise we will be implementing some better caching moving forward.
Also you're running 16.1 now, correct?

July 01, 2009, 04:43:45 PM
post or send me the drawing
Quite a large file, I'll see if I have smaller (and less commercially sensitive) file that does same.
Also you're running 16.1 now, correct?
affirmative

Julian

* July 01, 2009, 05:36:30 PM
I understand.   In the meantime I'll go thru DP and dimensioning myself and try to figure out what could be happening.