TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

How to extrude from Wing root to tip root on "Y" axis
Read 4985 times
* December 03, 2010, 06:53:15 PM
Hi Guys,
Now that I have TC 16 Deluxe and gone thru the entire 2 set DVD Training 2D/3D by CAD fundamentals I have basicly got the 3D thing figured out. I'm trying to make a model airplane wing drawing to allow for creating a G-code file for my CNC machine. I have the wing root template set and the wing tip set on the "Y" axis 42" out. My question is how do I extrude from root to tip. The tip template is approx 60% smaller than the Root. Can someone explain the comands to do this operation!!
If someone tells me TC 16 deluxe won't do this operation I'll shoot myself!
Thanks for any help
Steve 

* December 03, 2010, 07:14:10 PM
If someone tells me TC 16 deluxe won't do this operation I'll shoot myself! Steve
Got chuckle when I read this :) you must have been following the forum closely.And understanding the limitations of Deluxe.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* December 03, 2010, 07:27:37 PM
That doesn't sound like extrusion. It sounds more like Prism -- if the start and end cross sections are simple enough.  Prism comes with Deluxe. Check it out.

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* December 03, 2010, 07:48:08 PM
Mark is correct.

Henry H

* December 03, 2010, 08:20:43 PM
OK,I will check out the PRISM and see what I can do. Thank you so much for the reply. Then after that is done I need to 3D slice and create a bottom and top half for milling the molds on the CNC machine. I will return later after the wing is designed.
Thanks again

* December 04, 2010, 05:37:53 AM
I have the wing root template set and the wing tip set on the "Y" axis 42" out. My question is how do I extrude from root to tip. The tip template is approx 60% smaller than the Root. Can someone explain the comands to do this operation!!

Extrude is not the tool you want. You could extrude the root template for 42 inches but this will give you a constant cord wing. You can try lofting between the two templates to create the solid wing. I have had good luck lofting between the ends of simple parts (a turtle deck with a center spar) and then sectioning the resulting solid to get intermediate profiles. My attempts at lofting between symetrical  airfoils with different cords and a couple of spar notches have been less than ideal. They do strange things. /color]

December 04, 2010, 10:04:29 AM
You can try lofting between the two templates to create the solid wing.

He was just telling you what you could do when you get the pro version.

No lofting or solids with deluxe  :-\

Alan H

TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit

* December 04, 2010, 10:44:24 AM

There's also no sectioning with Deluxe  :(

But if your needs are simple, you can get pretty close with prism.

TCW Pro 14.2

December 04, 2010, 11:23:33 AM

I started with deluxe and after reading that no deluxe version could really stand up to any pro version,  I went backwards (sparing the budget) and got into a pro version.  :D I still use my deluxe version to open newer files. ;)

I also read that with enough tenacity you can do just about anything with the deluxe version, it just takes a few more clicks.  ;D

I know you did and ask, but I don't have any constructive advice on your ambitious project. ???

Alan H.

* December 04, 2010, 11:41:57 AM
Couldnt you use extrude if you would use a draft angle? Just because you extrude, the shape doesnt have to remain constant. You can make a cone using extrude, apply the draft angle and height and you have a cone, take away the draft angle and you have a cylinder. I never drafted a wing before and I dont know whats all intailed in it let alone if extrude with draft angle could be used or not.

Windows 7, TurboCad ver 15.2

* December 04, 2010, 11:52:52 AM

I started with deluxe and after reading that no deluxe version could really stand up to any pro version,  I went backwards (sparing the budget) and got into a pro version.  :D I still use my deluxe version to open newer files. ;)

I also read that with enough tenacity you can do just about anything with the deluxe version, it just takes a few more clicks.  ;D

I know you did and ask, but I don't have any constructive advice on your ambitious project. ???

Alan H.

Not really. First exception that comes to mind is rounding the edges of objects ("Fillet Edges"). Next exception is lofting a set of profiles; "Prism" just doesn't hack it. There are quite a few others.

Henry H

* December 04, 2010, 12:44:09 PM
Couldnt you use extrude if you would use a draft angle? Just because you extrude, the shape doesnt have to remain constant. You can make a cone using extrude, apply the draft angle and height and you have a cone, take away the draft angle and you have a cylinder. I never drafted a wing before and I dont know whats all intailed in it let alone if extrude with draft angle could be used or not.
Draft angle doesn't appear to be available in Deluxe either, though its interesting to know about.

TCW Pro 14.2

December 04, 2010, 01:11:26 PM
Quote from:  link=topic=4929.msg27668#msg27668 date=1291492372

[/quote]
Not really. First exception that comes to mind is rounding the edges of objects ("Fillet Edges"). Next exception is lofting a set of profiles; "Prism" just doesn't hack it. There are quite a few others.
Henry H
[/quote]
---------------------------------------------------------------
I'm afraid to disagree with a master :-\ but...

I can think of a couple ways to fillet an edges in deluxe with a few extra clicks.

Subtract a cylinder from a box and slice off the radius part.  Then subtracted this from the object you want a Filleted Edge on.

And  another, enough straight slices well create a radius,(Fillet Edges) this is an old woodworking trick.

As far as lofting, I bet you can come up with a work around, the pyramids were built with no power tools. 

Anyway, my comment was geared toward getting them too consider a pro version at the same time suggesting the deluxe is OK.  I don't want Steve to shoot himself ;D

Alan H. 

December 04, 2010, 05:29:50 PM
There's no right or wrong way to use a tool if it gets the job done 8)

Steve, sorry for taking over your post, I'm just having fun ;D

Alan H.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 05:45:45 PM by Alan H. »

* December 04, 2010, 07:47:38 PM

Steve, sorry for taking over your post, I'm just having fun ;D

Alan H.
the guy with lawn tractor looks like a accident waiting to happen .The thing do is rent a cherry picker.The guy with hand drill shows initiative.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 09:28:49 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

* December 04, 2010, 08:14:14 PM

This fool definitely picked the wrong tool for the job.

* December 04, 2010, 09:11:50 PM
There's also no sectioning with Deluxe  :(But if your needs are simple, you can get pretty close with prism.
the extrude command works pretty smooth to.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 09:15:16 PM by wd »

* December 04, 2010, 09:21:35 PM

This fool definitely picked the wrong tool for the job.
Should ask for free delivery Home Depot would probably done it.Who knows what going in his mind  :) The Lincoln with the air condition hanging out the window remind of a ghetto cruiser I seen on Franklin Boulevard in Philly
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 09:26:30 PM by wd »

* December 04, 2010, 09:52:16 PM
Except that there's no draft function for extrude in Deluxe.

TCW Pro 14.2

* December 05, 2010, 04:10:37 AM
Except that there's no draft function for extrude in Deluxe.
unfortunate situation I didn't realize it was that limited, 

* December 05, 2010, 05:20:48 AM
Yeah, I didnt realize it was stripped that far.  ???  But, like any other software, there is multiple ways of doin different things. Just have to find it.  ;)

Windows 7, TurboCad ver 15.2