TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

getting TC graphics into Word.
Read 6269 times
* November 18, 2010, 09:50:11 AM
I am trying to get pieces of an TC drawing into a word doc while retaining sizability and quality of the graphics.  Is there anyway to do this?

Any help would certainly be appreciated.  I am writing a book and would like to use TC to develop the figures and insert them into the document.  Every way I  try so far either does not size correctly or looks like I'm veiwing it without my glasses on.  Boys and girls can you say "fuzzy".

* November 18, 2010, 10:41:17 AM
Might help if there are adjustments in your version of graphic card software.Or it may need updating.But than again if your using a integrated graphic software it may be limited.I experience that in Word there's not much that can be done about  it.IMO

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* November 18, 2010, 11:46:56 AM
You don't mention how you're trying to get it into Word, but my guess is that you're copying and pasting a screen shot. When you do this, you are pasting a low-resolution raster image internally in BMP format. Low resolution by print standards, which are much higher than on-screen standards.

You might try exporting to a scaleable format known to Word. Scaleable formats, if implemented correctly, look good at any resolution, but sometimes different programs "see" the format differently.

I don't know what formats Word will import, but its almost guaranteed to use WMF. TC can export to WMF, DWG, DXF, and SVG which I believe are all scaleable formates.  You can check to see which formats Word can handle.

If Word won't let you trim edges on your imported images (I think it will with its editor, but I don't have W. on my current machine to check) then you may have to use a 3rd party editor before importing into Word.

Be sure to make a back-up copy of your TC document before trying any of this.

HTH
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

November 18, 2010, 02:28:43 PM
I am trying to get pieces of an TC drawing into a word doc while retaining sizability and quality of the graphics.  Is there anyway to do this?

The only Object Oriented Graphic format that would allow clear scaling in Word is WMF and TurboCAD's support (as of V15) was poor (too many embedded graphics).

The technique I use to insert TurboCAD objects into Word is to save a JPG or GIF at a large size (say, 2200x1700 pixels) and inserting the saved image into Word.  The large image size allows for re-sizing with no readily-apparent artifacts.

When you have your view set up (usually in Paper space), choose File / Save As, select the image format you want to use, then go into Setup to set up the desired options.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* November 18, 2010, 03:01:30 PM
Hi Jeff,

My test on a simple 2D model worked pretty well with WMF & Open Office.

When I tried to export to jpeg or bmp, TC kept wanting to wrap lots pixel space around the final image, so I would have export something like 10,000 x 10,000, with a 100++ meg file or more. This, even though I had told it to export the current view only. My picture editor crashed before handing the image. So that's why I didn't suggest the jpeg thing.

Are there settings that will help wrap the export closer to the object?

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* November 18, 2010, 05:00:38 PM
So far, saving what I want to export as a dxf file works somewhat ok on the screen. I won't have access to a printer until tomorrow to see how it prints. In the meantime, I will try the suggestions yinz have given me, and I appreciate all the help.

November 19, 2010, 12:02:46 AM
My test on a simple 2D model worked pretty well with WMF & Open Office.

When I made a simple block diagram and exported it to WMF, the results were unusable.

DXF can, apparently, only be imported into Visio among the MS Office products, and I do not have it.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* November 19, 2010, 10:27:50 AM

A 2D drawing or a rendering? If the latter, I get results that look OK to me by copying from TCad (press Ctrl+C), pasting into PaintShopPro (press Ctrl+V), editing/enhancing as required, then saving as .jpg. In Word, I insert a TextBox, switch focus to its interior, then Insert|Picture|From File.

...Guess I oughta mention that I generally use Word97, which is certainly an antique, and I don't really know how well this technique works in newer versions -- or if it's even possible.

Henry H

November 19, 2010, 03:39:50 PM
I'd suggest a couple of options:  first, try simply copying and paste-special the results as a TCAD object into Word.  If that doesn't work, print the TCAD stuff as a pdf, and insert the pdf picture into Word.  You can use pdf995 to print from TCAD into a pdf quite easily.

Roland

Roland Aldridge
Windows 7 ultimate, Core i7 3.07GHz, 4 cores, 9G memory GEForce GTX 285

* November 19, 2010, 05:31:29 PM
Appreciate all the help. So far, this is what seems to work best, although its a little convoluted.  I select what I want from a TCW drawing and then coping and pasting it to a new TCW file.  After saving this new TCW to back it up, I resave it as a WMF file.  If I try to insert this into a word doc all I get is an WMF icon.  But if I secect and copy the content of thewmf file and use paste special in word, I get a very clean copy of the graphic in my document. The only thing left to do is to crop it (substatially, since there seems to be a lot of excess space).  But I end up with a docuement I can put text to and still have a graphic that looks clean on both the screen and prints exceptionally well on a color laser printer.  I also converted this word doc with graphic to a pdf document to see how it would look and the results again were very pleasing although there seems to be a tiny reduction in the size of the graphic and the text. Hope to experiment some more.  There might be faster way, but if not, at least I have a method that works.

Again, Thanks so much.

November 19, 2010, 06:55:07 PM
For really good results I would print to PDF (300-600dpi) from TurboCAD, open the PDF and screen capture the desired object(s).