TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

SDK for dummies
Read 4506 times
November 16, 2010, 01:05:49 PM
Can anyone give a "layman's" definition of a "SDK"? (Add-ons?)(bcitool?) Just a basic concept?

My curiosity originally stemmed from this post.

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,4802.msg26713.html#msg26713

I can find information on "what" they do, but not "how" they do it, or how to use them.  I'm just trying to get a (better) concept.  The more I read the more I don't understand what this is really about.  Is the architectural pack(add-on) considered a SDK.

I am seriously dedicated, so, what stage in Turbocad's learning curve should this be considered (if at all)?  Or, is this an area better left for computer gurus?

I'm just trying understand another of Turbocad's facets...

Alan H.

TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit

* November 17, 2010, 01:03:43 AM
Hi Alan

SDK stands for Software Development Kit.
When I read that I assume it gives me the possibility  to program TC. But that is not the case. You need an extra tool to create a program, macro or however you will name that.
In former times there was vba included (that was a SDK in my eyes). That was fast and efficient. But that is long ago.
Now you can use e.g. AutoIT – that is public domain. Or VB, C++ ….

So in my eyes TC offers only a programmers interface.

Best regards
Bernd

November 17, 2010, 01:57:44 AM
Hi Bernd

I searched and found a "AutoIt Tutoria series" for beginners on youtube, after watching some I have a better understanding of the term SDK.  But, no immediate plans to start creating my own. I guess there's no shame no in using someone else's creation. 

AutoIt tutorial link

Thanks for the info.

Alan H.

TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit