TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Need help with helix.
Read 2689 times
* October 16, 2010, 06:53:47 PM
I have made a one turn helix in 2d and I would like to snap lines to it but no matter what I try nothing works. Is this possible. turbocad 16 deluxe

* October 16, 2010, 06:56:47 PM
I have made a one turn helix in 2d and I would like to snap lines to it but no matter what I try nothing works. Is this possible. turbocad 16 deluxe

I'm having trouble understanding what a helix in 2d is. Can you post the drawing?

Henry H

* October 16, 2010, 07:20:17 PM
I guees it's not realy a helix in 2d more like a spiral but there is no spiral button.

* October 16, 2010, 08:38:42 PM
If you explode the TC helix, it turns into a spline. Then the projection and tangent snaps will work with the spline. Maybe other snaps as well. Don't know if that gets you where you want to go, of course.

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* October 16, 2010, 08:58:46 PM
I guees it's not realy a helix in 2d more like a spiral but there is no spiral button.

Explode it one time, which will convert the object to a Spline. Then you can use the Perpendicular Line tool (see attached screenshot); or Line Tangent to Arc or Curve; or Line Tangent From Arc or Curve; or the plain ol' Line too, using the Nearest on Graphic snap mode ...and no doubt I've overlooked other possibilities.

But how in the world did you manage to get a Helix into a Deluxe drawing in the first place? It's supposed to be available in Pro only.

Henry H
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:01:46 PM by Henry Hubich »

* October 17, 2010, 07:17:44 AM
Thanks mark and henry, I have it working perfectly now. They must of messed up on the delux since the helix is in my tool bar. Guess I got my moneys worth. ;D

* October 17, 2010, 09:37:25 AM
Thanks mark and henry, I have it working perfectly now. They must of messed up on the delux since the helix is in my tool bar. Guess I got my moneys worth. ;D

I wonder what other illicit goodies they smuggled in ;-)

Henry H

* October 17, 2010, 10:33:12 AM
Hi Henry et al,

How do you know what is/isn't supposed to be in a program? I've noticed that the labeling in the reference manual sometimes says a tool is "pro only" -- but I assumed they put that in before developing the "deluxe" line.

Its in my toolbar as well. Its a 3D object, but doesn't render in draft mode, so its only the framework for working in 3D. It seems fair to have it, since there is no 2D spiral tool. Overall, I would rather have the "millions of symbols" it promises on the box, that are nowhere to be found.

I wonder if I could use the helix as a rail to make a screw thread? It would be mostly for appearance -- I'm not actually going to start lathing out my own small parts.

Thanks!
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* October 17, 2010, 06:42:10 PM
Hi Henry et al,

How do you know what is/isn't supposed to be in a program? I've noticed that the labeling in the reference manual sometimes says a tool is "pro only" -- but I assumed they put that in before developing the "deluxe" line.

Its in my toolbar as well. Its a 3D object, but doesn't render in draft mode, so its only the framework for working in 3D. It seems fair to have it, since there is no 2D spiral tool. Overall, I would rather have the "millions of symbols" it promises on the box, that are nowhere to be found.

I wonder if I could use the helix as a rail to make a screw thread? It would be mostly for appearance -- I'm not actually going to start lathing out my own small parts.

Thanks!
Mark

In the case of the Helix, I had two reasons for stating it's not supposed to be in Deluxe. Turns out that neither reason is valid :-(

The problem with using a helix as a rail (i.e., path) to create a screw thread, by sweeping a profile along it, is controlling the orientation of the thread cross section. It's difficult but doable in Pro. In Deluxe I was not able to do it at all. A much simpler way to create a screw thread is with the Revolve tool, adjusting the pitch and number of turns as required. This works equally well in Pro and Deluxe.

Henry H