TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Forum Spell Checker
Read 8372 times
October 09, 2010, 08:05:16 AM
Until recently my IE7Pro spell checker would work in this forum, but it no longer gives a list to select the correct spelling. Does anyone else use IE7Pro and are you experiencing this issue.

Perhaps you use some other IE spell checker - if so what do you use?

The spell checker at the bottom of this forum page does nothing but bring up an empty window.

BTW, I am browsing with IE8.

October 09, 2010, 09:49:55 AM
Perhaps you use some other IE spell checker - if so what do you use?

The spell checker at the bottom of this forum page does nothing but bring up an empty window.

Hey Don,

I can verify the same situation on my system.  I click the spell check get a blank page even  with misspelled words.  Once upon a time it worked, can't say when it stopped.  Lately I've been creating my responses in a different application then I copy and past the response.

I also using Internet explorer but not sure which version but I haven't done any upgrades in a while.

Alan H.

TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit

October 09, 2010, 09:59:54 AM
Same here; using IE 8 V 8.0.7600.16385.

I think the spell check went South when we got the increased forum speed about a week ago.

Donb Ritchie

TC 11.2 and 17.2 Platinum

* October 09, 2010, 10:06:37 AM
Until recently my IE7Pro spell checker would work in this forum, but it no longer gives a list to select the correct spelling. Does anyone else use IE7Pro and are you experiencing this issue.

Don,

I don't have Spell Check either, the problem may be at the source. BTW I'm using IE8.

EDIT.... Spell check and fix shows in the toolbar at the top of the screen.

Don
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 04:43:46 PM by Don Wensrich »

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

October 09, 2010, 10:16:59 AM
This seems to work for now.
Install IEPro7 http://www.ie7pro.com/(works in IE8 too).
Install WordWeb http://wordweb.info/

IE7Pro will highlight spelling error. Select word and use shortcut key to run WordWeb on misspelled word and click replace as needed.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:19:32 AM by Don Cheke »

October 09, 2010, 10:29:54 AM
I get an empty Spell Checker window using Firefox too Don. The browser still picks up miss spelled words though. I honestly never use the forum spell checker feature. It's simpler for me to just right-click and choose the proper spelling from the context menu.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:34:35 AM by Brad Easterday »

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

October 09, 2010, 02:41:50 PM
I get an empty Spell Checker window using Firefox too Don. The browser still picks up miss spelled words though. I honestly never use the forum spell checker feature. It's simpler for me to just right-click and choose the proper spelling from the context menu.

I have updated Firefox and got all the settings as desired. I even changed my display properties to use clear-type. I am so sick of all the little issues with IE that I think I will make the change permanent. At least these guys are smart enough to have a spell checker that works. Yea!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:07:07 PM by Don Cheke »

October 09, 2010, 02:56:13 PM
I am so sick of all the little issue with IE

Can anyone share advantages and/or disadvantages of using "Firefox" over the "Internet explorer" or other web browser.(Besides "spell check")  Curious if I should consider another options besides the "Internet explorer".

Alan H.

* October 09, 2010, 04:40:06 PM

Can anyone share advantages and/or disadvantages of using "Firefox" over the "Internet explorer" or other web browser.(Besides "spell check")  Curious if I should consider another options besides the "Internet explorer".

The spell checker in Opera works fine as well with the forum.

Web browser preference is a subject that borders on religious fervor. IE may be a great browser now, for all I know, but it was so bad for so long that I avoid using it except when required to accommodate proprietary software (Netflix streaming video, in particular). Also, its not good for the computer-using community to be in a monopolistic IE-lockdown. Last time I checked, IE was still ignoring SVG, but maybe they've gotten around to that.

I feel Opera is slightly faster and less of a memory hog than Firefox, but in many ways they are very similar. FF has hundreds of plugins that can give it enhanced abilities. For instance, I have a plugin that lets me edit forum comments like this in my favorite text editor.

However, it gets tedious having to maintain the revision level of the plugins every time the browser upgrades. Opera has "widgets" instead, but not so many of them. Opera has an embedded email client, which makes it convenient for going back and forth between browsing and emailing. The Thunderbird email client, which can work with FF, is slow coming up on my system.

FF & Opera work on Linux, which might be of interest if you spend any time on that platform and want to maintain a uniform experience (and share bookmark data between systems). Opera has some neat gee-whiz features, like tabbed web pages that show you a thumbnail of the contents of the web page as you hover over the tabs.

According to a widget on Opera, the browser with the most dangerous security holes currently  is Safari.

Since all the browsers are free, there seems to be little downside to trying out different browsers. Probably any browser is OK for web-forums, unless of course it happens to be missing a spell checker  ;)

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

October 09, 2010, 04:55:55 PM
re: I am so sick of all the little issues with IE...

That's why I eventually became a Firefox user. I already had the major browsers installed for checking the compatibility of my website, so I was familiar with it when I had given up on IE. I like Opera and Safari as well. The big seller on Firefox for me are the add-ons. There are some really helpful and "free" tools out there.

BradE [ dean3Design ]

* October 09, 2010, 06:58:44 PM

Alan H.

I switched to Firefox several years ago and never use IE at home any more.

One thing I've done is install a plug-in called "IE Tab 2".  I've found that some sites insist on using IE-specific code that doesn't work in other browsers - just bad design.  The plug-in gives you an icon in the status bar to click on that will switch to rendering that tab using the IE engine, so it will display the non-standard code properly without leaving Firefox. (If you access those sites often, you can set it so that they are automatically rendered using the IE engine within Firefox and you don't have to click on the icon). 

I'm finding fewer and fewer of those sites but they still come up occasionally.  If I find a site doesn't look right (odd layout or missing pieces) I just click on the icon and see if that clears it up, and if it does, I mutter nasty things about the competence and parentage of the web designers.

The other main plug-ins I use are "Linkification", "Download Statusbar" and "BarTab"

Dennis

October 09, 2010, 07:10:47 PM

That's why I eventually became a Firefox user. I already had the major browsers installed for checking the compatibility of my website, so I was familiar with it when I had given up on IE. I like Opera and Safari as well. The big seller on Firefox for me are the add-ons. There are some really helpful and "free" tools out there.

Hi Brad, do you use the Adblock Plus add-on? If not, do you some sort of ad blocker add-on?

October 09, 2010, 07:53:49 PM

Hi Brad, do you use the Adblock Plus add-on? If not, do you some sort of ad blocker add-on?

I use the blocker that comes with Kaspersky Internet Security. There could certainly be some better ones out there, but I haven't looked into it.

BradE [ dean3Design ]

October 09, 2010, 08:31:57 PM

I use the blocker that comes with Kaspersky Internet Security. There could certainly be some better ones out there, but I haven't looked into it.

Thanks Brad.

* October 10, 2010, 12:19:34 AM
Don if your interested a add-on is available.If goggle ie7 spell check plugin I found www.iespell.com/  that will work.I experience the same thing IE8.But like the rest of the members mention Firefox is probably the better choice for diversity when come to add-ons.When loaded it can be activated by right mouse click also and dialog box will appear also.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

October 10, 2010, 09:43:47 AM
]Can anyone share advantages and/or disadvantages of using "Firefox" over the "Internet explorer" or other web browser

Thanks.....Mark, Dennis, Brad, Don(x3), and WD for the insight.  I think it's time to experiment.

Alan H.

* October 10, 2010, 11:07:25 AM

[/quote]
I use that on FF and it works great. There is a built-in blocker on Opera, but no subscription service and a little too specific, so you have to keep training it yourself. Opera does have the ability to turn off all images at once with a single click, which is a neat feature surprisingly lacking from FF.

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2