Author Topic: pipe nipple dimensions  (Read 9058 times)

Cliff

• Running Ver 16.1 Pro Platinum
pipe nipple dimensions
« on: September 24, 2010, 02:54:17 PM »
 I can't find a library  of standard plumbing components.
There's world's of stuff online about the threads and diameters but I'm looking for over-all lengths of nipples specifically in the 1/2 and 3/8 inch NPT thread classes.

Or maybe I'm just over thinking it.
Are pipe nipples as  long as the description says?
For example:
If a nipple is said to be: 1/2"MNPT x 1.125"
Is the over all length of the nipple 1.125" or is that the distance  of un-threaded  pipe between the threads?

Milli Grazi

Running  Ver 16.1 Pro Platinum

Cliff

Re: pipe nipple dimensions
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 03:05:02 PM »
Trust Wiki?

I  found this on Wiki
"The length of the nipple is usually specified by the overall length with threads. "
OK that's Over all.

But I have a deep mistrust of all things wiki.
As a general proposition,  if it's political or remotely touching on things PC, there's a good chance that whatever is on Wiki is pig-poo.
So should  that untrustworthy character translate to things technical?
I dunno.

Alan H.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:15:52 PM »

Are pipe nipples as  long as the description says?

I have bought  thousands of nipples and a 1 inch  nipple will measure 1 inches in total.(in the construction industry)(1/2",3/4"and 1") black, gal. and brass nipples (NPT)...

Alan H.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 08:17:03 PM by Alan H. »
TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit

Cliff

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 07:42:26 AM »
Great thanks~!!
That's exactly the sort of confirmation I needed to hear.

Part of my confusion stems  from a length descriptor on a the web page  of a stainless component reseller that referred to a half inch nipple as 1.125" long but not as a "close" nipple.  And worse their picture showed a nipple that has got to be a three  or four inch nipple with the great majority of the pipe un-threaded.

But hey~ ~ ~ It's the friggin internet right?>

Alan H.

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 09:44:24 AM »
Great thanks~!!

your welcome

RE: "descriptor on a the web page  of a stainless"

I have never bought stainless, so I cant confirm that one.

Alan H.

Steve The Kiwi

TurboCadCam 14.2 with CAM & TurboCad 16.2 Pro. without CAM
I support just two teams: Canterbury rugby and any other team playing Auckland and Australia.

Alan H.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 12:06:54 PM »
Try this: http://www.reliablesprinkler.com/pdfs/products/Seminole%20WSN-1102.pdf

I don't really understand (see picture) what this means?

I checked out my inventorying of pipes, a 2"x1/2"  black nipple is 2 inches long.  The same with a 3 inch,  4 inch ,5 inch, and 6 inch.

Alan H.

Julian Thomas

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 01:05:53 PM »
Title says List Prices
Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

Alan H.

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 01:10:35 PM »
Title says List Prices

OK I see...Thanks

Nothing to do with the actual/nominal dimensions.  

Alan H.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 04:35:27 PM by Alan H. »

Steve The Kiwi

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 03:53:49 PM »
Julian is right, but it does show the lengths available.
TurboCadCam 14.2 with CAM & TurboCad 16.2 Pro. without CAM
I support just two teams: Canterbury rugby and any other team playing Auckland and Australia.

dj722000

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 05:37:02 AM »
"Sounds to me like there add has a typo." You have to measure from end to end of nipple or pipe. If you dont measure from end to end and you plan out pipeing, you will be way off when you do a 10' or 500' run. You minused all of the threads which can be 1/4" or 1/2" or 3/4" or more each time you put in a piece of pipe. So if you do that and the threads on one side are 1/2", that is 1" that section will be off, take that times 100 pieces and you will have some people very mad at you. Thats around 8.5' it will be off. LOL

A "Close" nipple is a fully threaded nipple from both directions and meet in the center, mostly takes place of a coupler where a coupler cant be used. Which is still measured from end to end.
Windows 7, TurboCad ver 15.2

JoeM

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 08:58:19 AM »
It is my experience that the pipe nipple length is the overall length.  So, a 2" pipe nipple is 2" overall, and the distance between the threads is 2"- (2*thread length).  A "close" nipple is available for each pipe size and is (2*thread length) long.

Hope this helps.

JoeM

Alan H.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 10:09:52 AM »
"Sounds to me like there add has a typo." You have to measure from end to end of nipple or pipe. If you dont measure from end to end and you plan out pipeing, you will be way off when you do a 10' or 500' run. You minused all of the threads which can be 1/4" or 1/2" or 3/4" or more each time you put in a piece of pipe. So if you do that and the threads on one side are 1/2", that is 1" that section will be off, take that times 100 pieces and you will have some people very mad at you. Thats around 8.5' it will be off. LOL

A "Close" nipple is a fully threaded nipple from both directions and meet in the center, mostly takes place of a coupler where a coupler cant be used. Which is still measured from end to end.

It's accurate...  That's not for the suppliers to work out.

Also, maybe you're not considering that the size of the fittings will add length to the run. You can order the pipes based on the linear run. The installer's consider the threads in determining lengths installed.  I am talking about the construction industry. The tolerance that guys deal with in the mechanical industry, well, its just freaky.

Alan H.

RolandAldridgeAMI

• Beta Tester
  • Beta tester
    • Advanced Micro Instruments, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 04:37:18 PM »
The issue with nipples is that they use tapered fittings, i.e. the threads are tapered so the more you  turn them the tighter they get.  This makes them pretty good at not leaking.  On the other hand, it means that you can't tell how many times you have to turn it before it does stop leaking - and if you are designing a piping system, you can't tell how strong the apes who put it together are going to be, so the overall lengths of your pipes are going to be quite variable.

So pipe sizes are nominal.  A half inch pipe is in fact about 3/4" diameter.  A nipple is normally described by the overall length, of which (in the case of a half inch pipe) about 3/4" or so is threaded on each end.  Something like 3/8" of that thread will engage into a typical fitting, so the length between fittings once it is assembled will be around 1 1/4", plus or minus at least 1/4".  Basically, you figure this stuff out on the fly while you are assembling it.

If you need things to be more precise than this, you need to use more accurate fittings.  Swagelock  (or similar) fittings are the next level up, and VCR's are better yet.  VCR's are very accurate, while Swagelocks have a little leeway in their tubing length.  Often people will put extensible bent sections in their tubing runs so that the whole thing looks tidy once they are done.

Roland
Roland Aldridge
Windows 7 ultimate, Core i7 3.07GHz, 4 cores, 9G memory GEForce GTX 285