TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

TV Stand
Read 3047 times
* September 24, 2010, 10:09:26 AM
Hi there.  This is really my first attempt at a drawing that made real use of materials (including editing) and rendering. I put it together last night and this morning.  I can't claim credit (or blame  :)) for the components inside the cabinet because they were stock symbols but I created the TV Stand and the TV.  I may try to see what it would look like on a rug and next to the wall.  One thing I'd like to figure out is how to distinguish the transition visually when 2 boards of the same wood butt up together - you can see it on a real piece of furniture but not on my TC drawing.  I also need to figure out the lighting ... and details of materials, and ........

I've used TC as a hobbyist since version 4 - even upgraded to most versions until v12 - then didn't upgrade until v17 because I just didn't have time to mess with it during those years.  I have forgotton a good many of the techniques I used to know or they are no longer relevant in V17.  Because my projects were for personal items (home remodeling, sheds, outdoor play structures, etc. I didn't really see the use in the fancy rendering and materials and I just used used simple hidden line and stock perspective angles.  Some of these features are kind of fun.

Anyway, tips form the more (and less) experienced will be appreciated.

Richard

* September 24, 2010, 01:07:16 PM
Added wall and rug and played with lights a bit

September 24, 2010, 04:52:32 PM
Richard:
     You're making fine progress in 3D. Your renders will look much more realistic if you turn on perspective; go to camera properties and check perspective. Something around 25-35 is a good place to start.

Don Ritchie

TC 11.2 and 17.2 Platinum

* September 25, 2010, 04:58:18 AM
Thanks for the tip Don.

Richard

September 25, 2010, 01:08:04 PM
RE:  One thing I'd like to figure out is how to distinguish the transition visually when 2 boards of the same wood butt up together - you can see it on a real piece of furniture but not on my TC drawing.

Are you referring to a condition where the grain of the two pieces are perpendicular to one another?

Your project is coming along nicely Richard.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* September 26, 2010, 04:09:10 AM
[Are you referring to a condition where the grain of the two pieces are perpendicular to one another?

For the most part, yes, that is what I'm talking about that.  The grain ot the top of a board is different from the edge and both are different from the end.  But to extend that further, if 2 boards are laid side to side, there is also a distinction between the grains so they appear as seperate boards.  In TC materials, it seems that the boards "merge" so that it appears as a continuous sheet.

Richard

September 26, 2010, 07:15:27 PM
[Are you referring to a condition where the grain of the two pieces are perpendicular to one another?

For the most part, yes...

The way to handle this in TC is by creating separate materials for certain boards to break up the continuity of the grain. In each material you can apply different "Wrapping" settings to get the desired results.

Henry has written a book on the subject and is currently offering it to the TC community free of charge. You can find it at http://www.filefactory.com/file/a19d817/n/Photorealism_In_TurboCAD_R_.pdf. It truly is a great reference to keep handy.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* September 26, 2010, 08:01:28 PM

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* September 30, 2010, 05:22:07 AM
Thanks for the tips (Brad & Don) and the book (Henry).  I've been slammed and haven't been able to dijest all the info or even to get back to TC - alas  :-\ the real world must come first.  I did want to thank everybody before too much time had passed though.  Thanks everyone!