TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

3D problem - You are working on an invisible layer
Read 3907 times
* September 22, 2010, 04:48:47 AM
Can anyone help please?

I am trying to model something (like a filing cabinet) in 3D. Having failed with previous attempts I tried a new approach of building 3D boxes upon 3D boxes, each box attached to a drawing layer which I can colour code and/or hide in order to focus on adding detail where required.

With my temporary 3D box on display with construction lines drawn on it's upper face, I proceed to the next step of drawing more detail on top of that. In trying to draw a new 3D box on the upper face of the existing boxe (with all other boxes hidden) I am getting the error:

"You are currently working on an invisible layer"

TC then allows me to select a second point for the new box floor and then throws the new box away. Yet I can drawer a cylinder, cone or wedge.

What the heck is happening? Is it me?

Using workplane by facet
TurboCAD Platinum 17.2 Build 59.1

September 22, 2010, 06:18:06 AM
TC has the annoying habit of placing any new object in the same layer as last used by the particular tool, whether or not that layer is visible. In order to handle this, I always keep Design Director active, and on choosing a tool check the layer in which I want the object. If I forget to do that, and get the 'error' message, I can just close the error message and check the active layer.

Don Ritchie

TC 11.2 and 17.2 Platinum

September 22, 2010, 08:54:29 AM
what is the point of users going to the effort of selecting their required active workplane if TC quietly changes it behind their back for no good reason?

You're talking about layers than you switch to workplanes? 

Related to layers

The invisible layer warning just means that the layer your drawing is on is "not visible layer", after you draw it it will not show. Nothing to do with workplanes.

RE:Yet I can drawer a cylinder, cone or wedge.
The cylinder, cone and wedge are set on a "visible layer".  That's why they show.

When you first selected a "tool", any changes in the properties dialog will stay untell you change it.  So, if you change the layer, every time you select the tool, from then on, will be on the same layer untell its changed.

If you select an "object" and change the layer, it has no effect on that tool properties for the originally used tool for that object.

Alan H.

TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit

* September 26, 2010, 06:33:10 AM
Thank you Don. It is exactly as you say.

Surely it would be more helpful if selected tools worked in/on the currently selected layer?

September 27, 2010, 01:12:46 PM

Surely it would be more helpful if selected tools worked in/on the currently selected layer?

In doing mostly architectual work, I like picking the door tool and it's already set to the door layer(set in the properties dialog or style manager), same with the windows and so on.

To each his own... 

Alan H.

TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit

* April 26, 2018, 02:25:38 PM
Thank you, Don Ritchie for your solution. I don't know why TC doesn't automatically switch to the object's layer when it is selected for an operation like "plane by facet."

TurboCAD Professional 21 64-bit - Platinum Edition

* April 26, 2018, 10:25:37 PM
I like the default way the layers work - with presets - You might like to read up on them to understand why Turbocad works the way it does.
BUT   If you don't like this method and you prefer the old fashioned autocad method of setting a layer and all tools use that layer until you change it you can change a setting which hopefully would work the way you prefer.

If you got to advanced preferences under miscellaneous settings, you can select the option "apply general property changes to all presets"

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks