TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

TurboCAD 3D drawing interface compared to DesignCAD's 3D interface
Read 3651 times
* June 25, 2009, 07:37:29 PM
I'm thinking about buying Pro 16, but I'm not sure I can draw 3D with it.  I tried version 10 a number of years ago for about 2 months, but gave it up because it was SO hard for me to draw in 3D mode.  I could never figure out what plane I was in.

I've been using DesignCAD since it was American Small Business Computers and came on 5-1/4" floppies.  I love that 3D interface and find it extremely easy to draw in 3D mode.

Is the way of 3D drawing in Pro 16 essentially the same as it has been since version 10 or can you draw in 3D space like DesignCAD?

Thanks in advance.

Fitz

June 25, 2009, 07:41:36 PM
essentially the same...?
Yes...but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* June 25, 2009, 08:13:13 PM
Having never tried DesignCAD, I really can't say. I was almost tempted to download their trial a moment ago, but then you could download a  trial version of TurboCAD and get a better answer. I never got hung up on workplanes in TurboCAD; I usually create/build everything on the World workplane and move it into place.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* June 26, 2009, 09:53:00 AM
Interesting how people work differently.  I have all the plane and view toolbars on the right-click popups.  One of the major reasons I love TC is because of the immediacy and intimate control of using planes and views that way.  Standard and ViewsUCS and workplane toolbars, zoom in/out to cursor with scroll wheel, swing view with the scroll button hold down and scroll button click zoom extents, all from the mouse with a drawing tool active, with left hand hovering over the SEKEs.  I've been using (trying to use) a couple of programs recently that draw in 3D. I struggle to find spacial context without workplanes and really struggle relating objects to features at anything other than orthogonal relationships, especially when those objects and features are curved.