TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Missing TC Pro 16.1
Read 4192 times
* June 25, 2009, 08:57:43 PM
I was delighted to see the message at the top of the forum that TC Pro 16.1 was now released.
Clicked on the link to find only the last patch from Build 34.4 to Build 36.7 was still top of the list of patches. It has been called update 16.01.
My wife calls me pedantic but if this saves anyone else spending time in the TC site looking for the much needed 16.1 advance then I am vindicated.
Oops maybe there is a 16.1 because I have just noticed Don Cheke's note about his new Tutorial for a 16.1 Grommet!
As I have a very high regard for Don's contributions (I would not still be persevering with TC without his sage advice and clear tutorials) I hope there is a 16.1 update somewhere.
Does anyone know?

Regards
Pete

June 25, 2009, 09:04:48 PM
Thanks for your kind words Peter.

It looks like Rip removed it from the patch threads as people were having issues with the update.

There appears to be a full16.1 build here: http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,409.0.htm

You would need to uninstall the version you have and then install the new download. You should be able to use your SN & AC code that you have from before (at least that is my assumption).

June 26, 2009, 05:23:38 AM
You would need to uninstall the version
I'm not removing anything - took weeks to set things up as I like (materials, illumination, configurations, default locations, etc, etc.) That's an extremely poor update method.
Hopefully, the patch will be back soon, and won't require setting everything up again

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* June 26, 2009, 08:26:52 AM
...it took weeks to set things up as I like (materials, illumination, configurations, default locations, etc, etc.)...

Uninstall doesn't affect the LightWorks data files. Configurations can be reloaded  from a Saved Workspace. The one place they do have a problem is that the INI file (TCW16_xml.ini) gets hosed in an Update/Patch or reinstall. Once I have everything the way I want it in TCExplorer (aka INI file), I save a copy outside of the Built-In folder. After TurboCAD has run "once" (after a reinstall/patch), I can replace the new INI with my saved copy. A caveat, I create a new INI file at the beginning each Version (14, 15, 16, etc) and use a copy to replace the updates (16.1, 16.2, 16.5, etc). I've never used an INI from one version in another version.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* June 26, 2009, 10:35:53 AM
I'm not removing anything - took weeks to set things up as I like (materials, illumination, configurations, default locations, etc, etc.)

All that stuff is recorded in various files, which you can save and then reactivate after upgrading. I've done it a hundred times or more as a beta tester. (Takes me maybe half an hour to stash copies of the relevant files, uninstall old build, install new one, and configure the new installation.) How to do all that is probably not obvious, however. Post again if you'd like more info. With any luck, John R will answer and you and I will both benefit ;-)

Henry H

* June 26, 2009, 12:06:57 PM
...(Takes me maybe half an hour to stash copies of the relevant files, uninstall old build, install new one, and configure the new installation.) How to do all that is probably not obvious, however. ...

Here's where I find the "TCW16_XML.ini" file in Vista. I know, everyone is still using XP. I keep a copy of that and if you've edited the "TCW16.ini" file (Rendercore settings), keep that also. The only way the other folders (Luminance, Materials, etc) could be touched is by the user.

If you haven't already made one, save your current Workspace under a unique name (click on "Save In" button). After TC is reinstalled, select you Workspace and click on the "Load From" button.

If you've edited any of the supplied Templates, I would rename them, otherwise they're gone. It's always best to make your own uniquely named Templates.

John R.

[attachment deleted by admin]

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

June 26, 2009, 12:12:00 PM
Did you get a new computer John? with Vista?

* June 26, 2009, 01:33:10 PM

Yeah, I finally broke down and got something for me. I got it with Vista knowing that it'll be replaced by Windows 7 in a few months. I wanted to see what a PITA Vista is and it is a pain, at times. RenderTest went from 10m44s on the old box to 2m23s on this new one. Definitely a lot of real estate with twin 24's.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

June 26, 2009, 02:30:54 PM

Yeah, I finally broke down and got something for me. I got it with Vista knowing that it'll be replaced by Windows 7 in a few months. I wanted to see what a PITA Vista is and it is a pain, at times. RenderTest went from 10m44s on the old box to 2m23s on this new one. Definitely a lot of real estate with twin 24's.

John R.

Sounds great.