TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

New control room project, advanced rendering
Read 2118 times
August 20, 2010, 11:12:53 PM
Hey ya'll.  Well, I've just completed a 5-year exclusive design agreement with the company who bought my console business, and I'm now a (mostly) free agent.  I still have a non-compete in the area of consoles to contend with, but otherwise, anything goes.  I'm still finding and designing consoles, only now I'm also applying for freelance design jobs, and developing a few new product ideas.  Searching for design work, I notice that Solidworks is far and away the most requested CAD software skill.  I think I need to learn it.

But in the meantime . . . been working to find that elusive balance between quality and rendering time.  This image is my latest, and it's a very satisfying compromise.  It's lit with a simple sky renderscene luminanace, and a dim point light to the left of camera position to kick some highlights onto the halfround vinyl worksurface edge.  No ceiling.  It required almost no after-render tuning.

For reference, my machine does the rendertest in just under 6 minutes.  For this project, a small 1/16th size preview window takes about 10 minutes, and then a 1600x2400 rendering (so far, the highest rez I can use without crashing) takes just over an hour.  I can live with that.  This arrangement is a good production setup.

Advanced rendering gives much more accurate materials, tonality and shadows.  BTW, I'm using TurboCAD only now, and have fully made the switch.  There's some really nice stuff posted in the Gallery.

Steve

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

August 21, 2010, 02:27:51 AM
Nice render Steve.......

Yeah I have been playing around with the Advanced Rendering...........Final Gather/Ambient Occlusion......

Daz

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

August 21, 2010, 06:35:23 AM
Congratulations on your design agreement and new venture Steve! Nice work on the rendering too.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

August 21, 2010, 10:22:25 PM
Alan Kay, he of the Kaypro, said that.  So I'm submitting resumes, building a new website, and preparing my DESIGNER shingle.  I'm continuing to find console projects, but discovering other clients, in other fields, is pretty interesting.  I've found and applied for a a couple of freelance jobs, one with frogdesign, and the other with an automotive accessory manufacturer (I'm a car guy, so this would be cool).  I envision growing an interesting and diverse client list.  That's the plan.

I'm just about to start on a new furniture leg design.  It'll be plated and polished metal, a casting I think.  It's a design I've been kicking around for a while.  There will be renderings, and lessons to learn about fillets, shelling, and realistic chrome.  Cool !
The great thing is, with the completion of my 5-year indenture, I now have the freedom to pursue this idea !

Does the perspective tilt read OK to everyone else ?  I like it, but a friend thought the angle was warped and disorienting.

Steve

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000