TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Worth of V17
Read 3613 times
August 18, 2010, 11:57:20 AM
Work has slowed down some and I have just been muddling along with V16.2 pro platinum.  I have been away from the forum for a while so I am sure I have missed some discussion on V17 pro platinum.

Maybe some of you long time users could chime in here.  How does V17 compare with some older versions with respect to stability?  V11 was very stable as I remember, V14 not too bad, V16 seems to be quite stable for me or maybe I am just more tolerant.  How does 17 compare stability wise to 16.

Maybe some of you architectural users could chime in on great new architectural improvements. 

I use TC with Sketchup for architectural work and I am trying to decide if the upgrade is worth while.  I know this is well in to the V17 cycle but work is picking up a little and I am considering the upgrade so I don't get too far behind and have always gotten good information from this forum.

Jon Coxwell, Architect

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

August 18, 2010, 12:08:00 PM
I found that the initial release of V17 was much less stable than V16, but V17.1 was much better. V17.2 is in testing and should be out fairly soon, I would think, and I have found it on par with V17.1 in this regard. I am just finishing up a huge architectural tutorial and have found that TC V17.1/.2 has handled it well.

One thing that was added from V16 was the ability to add a cut plane height for for component walls. That solved an issue that would not allow users to see all components while in world plan view. Aside from that I am not sure, off the top of my head, what else was changed or added.

Hope that helps.

August 18, 2010, 12:48:58 PM
Thanks Don,

I said 16 seems stable, and then it has crashed 4 times in the last 2 days.  The universe is telling me to be sure and save, save, save.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* August 18, 2010, 01:20:25 PM
re: Maybe some of you architectural users could chime in on great new architectural improvements.

See TurboCAD 17 New Features in the Wiki for a list.

I like the Muntins feature for Doors & Windows.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* August 18, 2010, 02:28:08 PM
I use TurboCAD along with Chief Architect.  I have the free version of sketchup, but I don't use it since I already have a more powerful architectural program.

V17 shines in the new explode or flatten feature, which allows you to show hidden lines as dashed in order to meet professional graphic standards.  You can now create both line drawings and nonrenderables such as dimensions.

These can be printed in TC or saved and exported in the file format of your choice.  This feature alone was worth the price of admission for me.

I am also trying to get a handle on the new layer control capabilities of Xref or block command.  The premise seems like a good idea, but the feature did not work when first released.  Maybe others could comment on how this is working out.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:09:20 PM by Rod Cole »

TC V21 Pro Platinum  Win 7 Professional

August 19, 2010, 03:56:38 PM
Rod,

Would you explain what you mean by explode or flatten in V17?  Are you talking about exploding viewports.

I guess I knew about some changes to x-refs but was not sure how well they work.
I quite using x-refs generally because TC had so many limitations.  Good working x-ref utilities like auto-cad.  I am not an auto-cad fan but their x-refs are good.

How do you use TC in conjunction with Chief Architect?

Thanks
Jon Coxwell

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* August 19, 2010, 04:51:57 PM
Sorry about that.  Yes, I meant to explode viewports.  I save the named view that I want and create two viewports, both the same size and using the same saved view. I  set one to display dimensions and the other to display the geometry with hidden lines as dashed if needed.

Explode both viewports and then stack one of them over the other, then delete the viewport borders.  Select the remaining geometry and export as a DWG to be inserted into a CA Layout box.

Only V17 Pro Platinum will do this as far as I know.

I use TC to import framing items from CA and then I alter the framing items as req'd and then bring the entire geometry into CA as a symbol.

I also use TC to create custom symbols to be used in CA.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:13:03 PM by Rod Cole »

August 22, 2010, 08:48:08 AM
Thanks Rod,

I am doing something similar with TC and Sketchup

I do my floor planning in TC, preliminary massing in Sketchup.  When I start working drawings I put heights on my walls in TC export to Sketchup to work out roof and floor framing in 3D, and then bring the file back to TC for final sheet layout and annotation.  I have 16.2 plat. so I don't think I can explode viewports.  but can do something similar with the drafting pallet.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* August 22, 2010, 11:18:06 AM
I think you can explode a viewport containing 3D geometry, but not nonrenderable such as dimensions.  This new feature may not be as important to you since you are using TC for Plotting your drawings.

V17 is much improved over the earlier versions in this regard.  I am curious if anyone knows of a way to flatten both 3D geometry and nonrenderables in the same viewport?

I have not fugured out how to do that if it is even possible.  It would be much more convienient if there was a way to do that.

For those who are interested, I used to use AC for this,.  But now that TC has ability the to flatten viewports in this fashion I don't find a need to use AC much anymore.

August 23, 2010, 01:21:30 PM
Rod,

I currently do my dimensioning in model space on a separate layer.  That way when I am editing sometimes the dimensions will update and if not I spot them at the time.  As I do more and more 3d modeling I see the need to dimension in paper space.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* August 23, 2010, 08:30:16 PM
I am personally not a big fan of dimensioning in Paper Space.  I know the feature is there, but I would rather know that my workplane is placed correctly and the dimensions are snapped to exactly the points that I want.

Just the way that I have alway done things.