TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Turbocad 14 deluxe help needed.
Read 5825 times
* August 13, 2010, 09:23:09 AM
Hello everyone. Pleased to be joining the exciting world of CAD which already has me pulling my hair out. ;D

I bought turbo cad 14 deluxe recently specifically for the task that i'm trying to do now.

Im a keen r/c flyer and have a set of plans for a model aircraft build. Each fuselage bulkhead is drawn on the plan to exact size but i would like to use CAD to enlarge each piece by 100% and therefore build the model twice as large.

Ive drawn a practice bulkhead in paint saved as a JPEG file. I understand i need to trace the parts before i can enlarge them 100% and then save them as a file type a laser cutter can use.

The trouble is i have no idea how to do any of this and have spent the last week trying and failing.

Pictured below is my practice bulkhead.

* August 13, 2010, 06:33:23 PM
Simple

Your model is made of 3 parts

Simple way is to select all 3 parts

..... and just type in the number 2 to "scale" X and "scale" Y
or if you want to control the finished external size ... Type in the "desired" measurements of width & height in "Size" X and "Size" Y

(Scales are located on the bottom of your screen when you select the "parts" (drawings)....
 There are 2 types .... SCALE X & Y ..... and ..... SIZE X & Y)

If you want to individually scale (resize) each part ....

Find the centres of each part using the "Snap tools" (there is one showing "snap to circle") and cross hair with the line tool .... This will give you the centre of each part ..... and will give you the ability to individually manipulate each part .... Via "size" X & Y ... and make each part the exact size that you want .... plus place them exactly where you want it

To get the exact wall thickness for the circle part of the inner shape (looks like a D) ....

"Copy" and "paste" the outer shape (complete with X hairs)
Give it a different colour
Turn it into a "group"

.... place it back on the cross hair line maker (outer shape) .... then using "Size" X & Y .... type in the reduced value for wall thickness ....

When satisfied with the size
"Explode" the "Group" ....
Then draw a line exactly where you want the straight line part of the D ...
..... then "trim tool" the circle to complete the look of the new D shape

Then hide all cross hairs on a new turned off "layer" to see the finished product

You will have to fiddle a bit .... but my above explanation should get ya going

Hope it makes sense
Cheers
Mike

« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 05:02:06 PM by Mike90RR »

* August 13, 2010, 06:39:40 PM
Hello everyone. Pleased to be joining the exciting world of CAD which already has me pulling my hair out. ;D

I bought turbo cad 14 deluxe recently specifically for the task that i'm trying to do now.

Im a keen r/c flyer and have a set of plans for a model aircraft build. Each fuselage bulkhead is drawn on the plan to exact size but i would like to use CAD to enlarge each piece by 100% and therefore build the model twice as large.

Ive drawn a practice bulkhead in paint saved as a JPEG file. I understand i need to trace the parts before i can enlarge them 100% and then save them as a file type a laser cutter can use.

The trouble is i have no idea how to do any of this and have spent the last week trying and failing.

Pictured below is my practice bulkhead.

Question #1: What format is your "plan"? A drawing on a piece of paper, or a .pdf file, or a CAD file -- or what?

Question #2: What format does the laser cutter need? A paper printout, or a .pdf file -- or what?

Henry H

* August 13, 2010, 08:06:34 PM

Question #1: What format is your "plan"? A drawing on a piece of paper, or a .pdf file, or a CAD file -- or what?

Question #2: What format does the laser cutter need? A paper printout, or a .pdf file -- or what?

Henry H

Your right Henry .... I think's I missed the point of the poster ....  ::)

Cheers
Mike

* August 14, 2010, 02:34:33 AM
Instead of drawing it in MS Paint, just draw it in TurboCAD from the start. From what I can see, all you need to use are the Single Line tool, Parallel Line tool and the Rotated Ellipse tool. Start with the center lines and work off of those to create other lines and the ellipses. Use the Trim tool to trim where needed or one of the other Modify tools.

If you run into a problem, stop back; I'm sure someone here may be able to help you out.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* August 14, 2010, 05:50:28 AM
Guys thanks for the advice so far.
Il clarify things a bit.
The plan is a paper one so each of the parts i need are going to have to be scanned onto my PC then imported into cad as a raster image presumably and then resized from there.
Hence the reason i drew that practice part saved as a JPEG.

Henry. lazer cutter is asking for .dwg or .dxf files.

Sorry for any confusion this is all VERY new to me ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 05:53:28 AM by AdamC »

* August 14, 2010, 09:28:50 AM

The plan is a paper one so each of the parts i need are going to have to be scanned onto my PC then imported into cad as a raster image presumably...

Right. But you don't have to resize the imported image yet; you can postpone that step. See below...

Trace the image using the tools John R mentioned. Then select some part of the tracing whose final desired size is known and determine its present size -- by reading the Size X and Size Y values from the Inspector Bar, or by referring to the Selection Info palette, or by using the Measurement tool, or by applying an actual Dimension to that object. Determine how much enlargement or reduction is needed, by dividing the final desired size by the current size. Finally, select everything in the drawing (Ctrl+A); type the required enlargement (or reduction) factor into both the Size X and Size Y fields; hit Enter. Your entire drawing (including the imported image) will thereupon grow or shrink to the required size. Save in .tcw format and then save again, this time in .dwg format. If you later find the drawing needs to be revised, work with the .tcw version. Use the .dwg only to make the laser people happy.

Henry H

* August 14, 2010, 10:41:29 AM
Hi guys. Ive been playing with this alot today and i think im starting to get it finally.
Put my scanned image into layer 0 and then locked it.
Opened a new layer 1 over that and then traced the image using any of the tools i could figure out how to work.

After i had a satisfactory result i selected all entities on the traced layer and entered 2 into the scale X and scale Y tool bar. Hit enter and hey presto i had doubled the size.

The only thing i havent worked out how to do is remove the part of the elipse in the slots around the edge.
Check it out im quite happy.

* August 14, 2010, 11:16:16 AM
re: The only thing i havent worked out how to do is remove the part of the ellipse in the slots around the edge.

See the article Using Multiple Cutting Edges in Help.

Activate the "Modify / Object Trim" tool
Hold the Shift key select the two lines (1, 2) that intersect the ellipse.
release the Shift key and click on the ellipse section (3) between the lines.
That part should disappear.
Hit Escape or choose a new tool when done.

You're doing good.  ;)

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* August 14, 2010, 07:24:18 PM

After i had a satisfactory result i selected all entities on the traced layer and entered 2 into the scale X and scale Y tool bar. Hit enter and hey presto i had doubled the size.

You doubled the size of the imported scanned image, which may or may not be the size of your original plan. You still need to verify that your drawing itself is scaled correctly.

Henry H

* August 15, 2010, 12:16:51 AM
Thanks again John and Henry. I forgot that my imported scan wasnt actually going to be at 1:1 scale.
Im guessing the easiest way to do that would be to select and measure a straight line before entering the relevant details into the size X size Y bar.

* August 15, 2010, 08:31:06 AM
Thanks again John and Henry. I forgot that my imported scan wasnt actually going to be at 1:1 scale.
Im guessing the easiest way to do that would be to select and measure a straight line before entering the relevant details into the size X size Y bar.

That's how I'd do it.

Henry H